Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology The Glorious PC master race thread

Yourmomsponies

@@Shoboni, Not to mention the 1070 is great at 1440p gaming from what I've heard.

Anyway, any of you guys getting No Man's Sky on Friday? I wanna pick it up, but I'm gonna wait for a sale.

I'm not sure if I really want that game or if I'll play it for like a week and then get sick of it.

I mean an endless amount of planets to explore is nice and all but, if its more or less the same thing happening on each planet will things die down? 

Its probably taboo to talk about consoles in this thread but, there are tuns of games coming out on PS4 that I seem to be more interested in... :/

NeiR Automata, Kingdom Hearts 3, Lost Soul Aside, Final Fantasy 15, boy oh boy....

• Brohoof 1

@@~Onylex, Hmm. There are quite a few games still coming for PC this year at least. No Man's Sky seems like a game I'd enjoy, though I wouldn't justify the $60 price tag. There's also Human Revolution that seems to have some hype around it. As for games I am hyped for, I only really care about Zelda Breath of the Wild.

Will probably pick up a couple cheap games on steam this week, though.

• Brohoof 1

Zelda Breath of the Wild.

Oh and this too! I forgot about that game! :o 

Damn, 2017 is looking to be quite a good year for gaming!  

Skyrim re-done as well. 

Edited by ~Onylex
  • Brohoof 1

@@Vulon Bii, Hmm, well the 1070 is still more appealing to me, also 8GB of GDDR5 VRAM, too. 

@@~Onylex, Mhm, can't wait. And Skyrim remastered, I will probably get the free upgrade, gonna get the DLC for Skyrim, I know I can get it real cheap. And then I will actually give Skyrim a full playthrough.

• Brohoof 1

@@Shoboni, Not to mention the 1070 is great at 1440p gaming from what I've heard.

Anyway, any of you guys getting No Man's Sky on Friday? I wanna pick it up, but I'm gonna wait for a sale.

I actually only have a 1080p, 60Hz monitor so the power from a card like that would end up spent running 1080p at insane settings (and with really good graphics mods on things that allow it).

Maybe supersampling on some games.

• Brohoof 1

It finally came

tumblr_inline_obpspxuOfI1rt9ues_540.jpg

Let’s get inside:
I guess they love their packing bags:

tumblr_inline_obpsqqOdOx1rt9ues_540.jpg

Here go:

tumblr_inline_obpsr76oHl1rt9ues_540.jpg

Nice packaging, sure trumps when my 750ti came in:

tumblr_inline_obpsrxtgfh1rt9ues_540.jpg

There she is:

tumblr_inline_obpsseL8zz1rt9ues_540.jpg

Excuse the mess while we open the case up, I need to get at the dust piling up under my desk somehow and the fact I’ve been trying to blow it out of the PC doesn’t help:

tumblr_inline_obpsu16KH21rt9ues_540.jpg

Bye, old friend. You’ve served me me well and now it’s time to rest while someone young and fresh takes the burden:
I won’t forget you and your place as my first real GPU in my first build. 

tumblr_inline_obpsw2o9xm1rt9ues_540.jpg

Installed and PC boots fine (I prayed to God, Jesus, and every angel I could think of through the whole process). I 

tumblr_inline_obpsyhZkHJ1rt9ues_540.jpg

I put my phone on the front cam and laid it atop the power supply to get this shot of the fan in action

tumblr_inline_obpsyrFpFW1rt9ues_540.jpg

tumblr_inline_obpsxzE88c1rt9ues_540.jpg

post-6903-0-86125300-1470868595_thumb.jpg

post-6903-0-44704300-1470868595.jpg

Now, the results in Firestrike compared to my old 750ti (fair warning, 3Dmark didn’t detect the model of the card right for some reason even though all is fine):

post-6903-0-42696400-1470868829_thumb.jpg

post-6903-0-18011800-1470868597_thumb.jpg

Yes, I named my PC Luna because she glows blue and has a dark color scheme:

post-6903-0-79231900-1470868596_thumb.jpg

post-6903-0-14713900-1470868596_thumb.jpg

Quite a boost

post-6903-0-34738100-1470868596_thumb.jpg

post-6903-0-58958900-1470868596_thumb.jpg

post-6903-0-96710700-1470868596_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 1

I don't know if you all heard this, but Microsoft has announced that they will be porting Quantum Break to Steam.  Meaning you don't need a Windows 10 machine to play it.  Windows 7 is enough.

The news is courtesy of Microsoft https://news.xbox.com/2016/08/10/special-edition-quantum-break-hitting-retail-and-steam-september-14/

Personally, I want them to port Rare Replay to Steam.  But hey, I can't argue with this.  XP

Edited by SaburoDaimando

I don't know if you all heard this, but Microsoft has announced that they will be porting Quantum Break to Steam.  Meaning you don't need a Windows 10 machine to play it.  Windows 7 is enough.

The news is courtesy of Microsoft https://news.xbox.com/2016/08/10/special-edition-quantum-break-hitting-retail-and-steam-september-14/

Personally, I want them to port Rare Replay to Steam.  But hey, I can't argue with this.  XP

Maybe this is the start of them realizing their online store is really niche and it's good as a death sentence to release a AAA title exclusive to it instead having it up on Steam.

I hear Windows 10 had some major issues as well, for example I hear the new Doom runs like ass on it compared to Windows 8/8.1

@@Shoboni, Doom runs the same as on Windows 8/8.1 That is to say, not good. Dosbox has never really been a good program, I'd say it's the port of Doom steam uses, not the OS. And Dosbox not being good is also the result of how terribly DOS has aged. 

And Windows 10 had a few issues at launch, but they've mostly been fixed out. I've had 10 since launch and it has been a fantastic OS for me.

@@Shoboni, Doom runs the same as on Windows 8/8.1 That is to say, not good. Dosbox has never really been a good program, I'd say it's the port of Doom steam uses, not the OS. And Dosbox not being good is also the result of how terribly DOS has aged. 

And Windows 10 had a few issues at launch, but they've mostly been fixed out. I've had 10 since launch and it has been a fantastic OS for me.

I meant New!Doom

Wait, please tell me you use a source port of classic Doom because it's SO MUCH better than trying to play Vanilla Doom in DOSbox.

@@Shoboni, Oh, I didn't see the "new" part. I don't know anything about that, though I never had problems running Doom on Windows 10, in fact it ran like a dream, even before the vulkan patch. Than again I didn't have any cards from kepler, unlike a friend of mine.

And no, I would never use anything other than a source port. Steam was out of their minds when they released Doom as a DOSbox port, they should have used a good source port instead.

Maybe this is the start of them realizing their online store is really niche and it's good as a death sentence to release a AAA title exclusive to it instead having it up on Steam.

There is a conspiracy going around that Microsoft is planning to slowly break Win32 (the API that is behind every Windows PC) just to get developers to come over the UWP. Steam runs on Win32, so if Microsoft can break it and make Steam look like shit compared to the Windows Store, and developers actually jump ship en masse, then they could be done for. So while it would be cool that Microsoft games are being sold on Steam (or maybe GOG in the future), just remember that Microsoft is nefarious and anything they do should be taken with extreme caution.

There is a conspiracy going around that Microsoft is planning to slowly break Win32 (the API that is behind every Windows PC) just to get developers to come over the UWP. Steam runs on Win32, so if Microsoft can break it and make Steam look like shit compared to the Windows Store, and developers actually jump ship en masse, then they could be done for. So while it would be cool that Microsoft games are being sold on Steam (or maybe GOG in the future), just remember that Microsoft is nefarious and anything they do should be taken with extreme caution.

Doubt it would work.

They'd lose way to many PC Gamers to SteamOS or something if they broke Windows support for Steam.

• Brohoof 1

Doubt it would work.

They'd lose way to many PC Gamers to SteamOS or something if they broke Windows support for Steam.

Aye. I agree, I don't think Microsoft would be stupid enough to dig their own graves like that.

• Brohoof 1

@@Shoboni, Oh, I didn't see the "new" part. I don't know anything about that, though I never had problems running Doom on Windows 10, in fact it ran like a dream, even before the vulkan patch. Than again I didn't have any cards from kepler, unlike a friend of mine.

And no, I would never use anything other than a source port. Steam was out of their minds when they released Doom as a DOSbox port, they should have used a good source port instead.

Especially Shadow Warrior and Duke Nukem 3D (two other classic 2.5D shooters) got straight up ports to modern, source-port like engines so they could run at 1080p60s like modern shooters.

Honestly, 24/30FPS locked (I forget which it is) Vanilla Doom feels laggy and unplayable to me now after so many hours playing on GZDoom with an unlocked framerate (goes up to something absurd like 1200FPS at times on my 960 and never drops below 500FPS)

• Brohoof 1

@@Shoboni, Wait, the original Doom runs at 30 fps? Wow.

And yeah, Duke Nukem 3D has a fantastic port, why iD didn't make their own port for steam is beyond me.

@@Shoboni, Wait, the original Doom runs at 30 fps? Wow.

And yeah, Duke Nukem 3D has a fantastic port, why iD didn't make their own port for steam is beyond me.

Yeah, it makes the version in the BFG Edition that's a port of the original engine complete with FPS lock feel unplayable because of the way source-ports make it such a fast paced and smooth shooter.

• Brohoof 1

Doubt it would work.

And not only that, many popular programs like anything out of Adobe, along with GoG and Origin(And even all of Blizzard's games) rely on Win32.  If Microsoft did that just to make their store look good, every 3rd party software maker would throw a nasty fit at the big M.  Not to mention that Windows 10 uses the same Win32 Architecture.  They break that, they break Windows 10.

Edited by SaburoDaimando

Got my rebate form from my GPU read to mail and I think I'll hold back that $30 to put towards an SSD next month.

My HDD is five years old and really slowing the system down in basic tasks so I'm going to retire it to being a Steam/Game drive until it finally crosses into the light and make the SSD my main boot drive with the OS and basic programs.

Quick question since I can't find my windows discs:

I know there's utilities to retrieve the CD key from the drive for a fresh install, but how do I go about making an actual install/boot disc? 

I am a member of the glorious PC gaming master race because most of the reviews I do are on there and it's just overall easier to be a PC gamer in this market.  That and it makes video making easier on me.

I'm happy to be a part of this cool kids clubs, do we get matching jackets? 

• Brohoof 2

@@Seraph, Good to have you on board with one of the best gaming platforms! Uh, we don't have matching jackets, so have this GabeN instead:

sig-4634352.maxresdefault.jpg

I'm surprised no one has made a Gabe Jacket yet. 

Edited by Seraph
  • Brohoof 1