Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Reminder: global rules, roleplaying, and sexual interaction

SCS

It seems odd to me that you keep saying "the country I come from", yet never mention which country that specifically is. I say this not to accuse or anything of the sort, simply as a matter of interest. I'd like to learn about this country's specific privacy laws. 

Hello,

Well, I did not mention it because I actually felt that it was not that important. However, since you ask so nicely, I will tell you. i was talking about France, and this law was first proposed by the CNIL which is in charge of privacy on the Internet. it is a fairly recent law as it became effective in 2009. The specific article is filed under LCEN and has a number ranging between 200 and 250. I cannot exactly remember.

Please let this be the last post on this subject since it is off-topic. Furthermore, I do not wish to discuss this any further.

• Brohoof 3

I want to thank the rest of the staff for issuing this statement and affirm that I, with the rest of them, am fully committed to ensuring that this remains a safe, family friendly online environment, where younger users need not fear being taken advantage of by any online predators.  That's not to say that users don't have a responsibility themselves, both to not exhibit such behavior and to be on the lookout for said behavior, but all the same, this site has rules and staff ready to enforce those rules to prevent these sorts of situations as well, and know this, all of us are fully committed to each and every one of them.  Have fun and stay safe ya'll!

large.jpeg

MLP Forums: A Place for Ponies of All Ages

• Brohoof 9

I noticed Brechard got banned just shortly after making that admission I don't want to jump to conclusions or fan the flames but does this mean that anyone caught posting NSFW material in the PM system will automatically be banned or is that reserved for the no brainer cases like anything involving minors or sexual harassment? I know with this policy there could be potential consequences even if say the situation didn't involve minors or sexual harassment but what exactly would that be? This is like I said before the first time I have ever seen any site make any announcement or policy regard what can or cannot go in PM's so I think barring situations of sexual harassment or minors there should be some more leniency for a first offense than say a perma ban in large part due to the fact that this is something that I am sure many others haven't seen before either. 

• Brohoof 4

I do not even roleplay at all, but I still want to ask this question:

If two consenting adults or two consenting teenagers wanted to do that kind of roleplays in the privacy of 'private' messaging, how exactly is that a problem? I get it, you want to prevent sexual harassment and underage stuff, that is a good intention, but I honestly think going on a big PM witch hunt isn't the right way to go about things. Telling people what can and cannot be said privately is going a bit far.

You might say, "but we cannot just allow this and that to happen!" The thing is, the report function is there. If someone is being harassed in any way, they need to use the report function, that's why it is there. It is anonymous and it should work if people use it accordingly. If someone was messaging me and sexually harassing me or harassing me at all, yeah, I would hit the report button. To say that nobody can do these kind of roleplays at all privately out of fear that it 'might' be some underage thing, that is really not good. Like I said, I don't even roleplay so technically this doesn't even have anything to do with me, but it is the idea that our private messages apparently aren't so private now, that is what bothers me. That is something I have never experienced on any other forum before.

If anything, my suggestion is this, if this is such a worry, then why not require age to be set upon registration? It probably wouldn't do much but it could be better than this in my opinion. That's all I have to say really. Except that I am curious as to what Brechard did specifically that got him banned outright. Yeah, he admitted to doing those roleplays, but was it harassment or underage in any way?

By the way, if I am somehow reading any of this wrong, then please enlighten me. I am obviously not trying to start trouble, this situation just concerns me in a few ways.

• Brohoof 6

I noticed Brechard got banned just shortly after making that admission I don't want to jump to conclusions or fan the flames but does this mean that anyone caught posting NSFW material in the PM system will automatically be banned or is that reserved for the no brainer cases like anything involving minors or sexual harassment? I know with this policy there could be potential consequences even if say the situation didn't involve minors or sexual harassment but what exactly would that be? This is like I said before the first time I have ever seen any site make any announcement or policy regard what can or cannot go in PM's so I think barring situations of sexual harassment or minors there should be some more leniency for a first offense than say a perma ban in large part due to the fact that this is something that I am sure many others haven't seen before either. 

Immediate permanent bans would not generally be given out for such behavior in PMs. Depends entirely on the context of the situation, the severity of the rule-breaking in question, and the individual's previous warning history.

If two consenting adults or two consenting teenagers wanted to do that kind of roleplays in the privacy of 'private' messaging, how exactly is that a problem?

If they're under 18, it's a problem. It doesn't matter if they consent, MLPF could still get in trouble for allowing it to take place.

If someone was messaging me and sexually harassing me or harassing me at all, yeah, I would hit the report button.

Not everyone would. That's why we're still obligated to take action if we see obvious external signs of a serious problem.

Like I said, I don't even roleplay so technically this doesn't even have anything to do with me, but it is the idea that our private messages apparently aren't so private now, that is what bothers me. That is something I have never experienced on any other forum before.

This isn't new. This rule has always existed: the administration just decided that people needed to be reminded of it.

No one has a right to complete privacy on MLP Forums. We do our best to give people privacy because it's the right thing to do. But we still have global rules that apply everywhere, including personal messages. If we become aware of a problem we are obligated to take action, even if it's in personal messages. 

• Brohoof 9

This isn't new. This rule has always existed: the administration just decided that people needed to be reminded of it.

It sure dosen't seem that way, it seems like you guys had a bunch of problems with sexual harassment, minors involved in explicit PM's and the like and are trying to cover your asses by doing the legal bare minimum. I say this not to insult or accuse anyone but without the problems with sexual harassment and minors in explicit PM's this announcement probably would never have needed to be made. Yes I am well aware that the report feature has existed in PM's as well but still, but I guess you guys got to at least show that you are doing something so this place dosen't get shut down and no one goes to jail.

• Brohoof 3

This is really creepy, just finding out about this. They should really admonish people about this when they first signup... Might as well call private messages just semi-private messages instead. 

pri·vate

ˈprīvit/
adjective

1. 1.
    belonging to or for the use of one particular person or group of people only.
    "all bedrooms have private facilities"
    synonyms  
  • Brohoof 4

I say this not to insult or accuse anyone but without the problems with sexual harassment and minors in explicit PM's this announcement probably would never have needed to be made.

I would like to remind everyone that this very announcement will act as a preventative deterrent against sexual misconduct, bullying, and other highly inappropriate conduct.

There is some wisdom to the old adage that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I can confirm that what has been discussed by the Admin and Mod team in this topic thread is unfortunately common in all message boards that approach the member size of this one. Most do not like to discuss this topic publicly. They all deal with it. Some ... more successfully than others. None that I have worked on, founded, and staffed have taken the preventative approach. We have with this thread.

• Brohoof 5

I'm glad the bit about lewd interactions with minors was brought up as well because that the possibly of that happening is one of the first things that comes to my mind with the subject NSFW rping comes up. I'm glad the staff made it known that it's unacceptable behavior to engage in.  

• Brohoof 5

If by having complete and utter privacy meaning someone can harass you with impunity... well, that aint a good place to be, sir. This thread has certainly gone from 'harassment bad, mmkay' to 'm-muh privacy' way too fast. There are times where small parts of freedom will have to be sacrificed for greater sense of security.

Mods won't go in and take a peek at your silly cutesy PM RP with your friends. If they want to get a snoop on some juicy or hot materials, I'm pretty sure there's no shortage of it directed right at them personally (I imagine even this forum is no exception to staff abuse lol)

• Brohoof 9

There is some wisdom to the old adage that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I can confirm that what has been discussed by the Admin and Mod team in this topic thread is unfortunately common in all message boards that approach the member size of this one. Most do not like to discuss this topic publicly. They all deal with it. Some ... more successfully than others. None that I have worked on, founded, and staffed have taken the preventative approach. We have with this thread.

I also recall a infamous incident from around when I joined where a member almost got in legal hotwater over a misunderstanding regarding something he said to a underage user in a thread(everyone was joking around and he didn't know she was just a kid)

• Brohoof 6

This makes me squirrely.

Yeah, sure, we have the "guarantee" that this ability to snoop in messages will only be used in extreme cases, but just the knowledge that such power exits...

It's understandable to those who are wary of this ability, even if their PM activities are benign. The cover-all "if you don't have anything bad going on, you have nothing to worry about" response didn't work as well as some of you hope.

Well...regardless.

Even though I think this new rule is a kneejerk response that clears the-powers-that-be of all accountability, even if it's done in the "privacy" (no such thing Now) of the PM system and only viewable by consenting of-age parties...

Can't change it now. Lest you be called a pedophile pervert who supports the sexual harassment of minors or whatever.

Go Redlight Ponyville or something if you want NSFW RPs that bad.

(Put it away...I'm only speaking of said site, not advertising or linking to it)

• Brohoof 3

While I do understand why administrators would need to investigate private messages in dire situations, a suggestion; why not add it to the terms of service, the term "Private Message" might bring some people to believe that their messages are totally private.

Just a little note saying if absolutely required, staff have the right to investigate private messages.

• Brohoof 6

There is some wisdom to the old adage that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Fair enough but "we always had this policy" argument comes off as a tad patronizing to some people because it was never officially mentioned until now yet that arguments was still just made like it was as obvious as 2+2=4 but I suppose my point on that has been made and any further tangents on my part will probably be misinterpreted as me trying to cause trouble anyway. The fact that there needs to be damage control is understandable but again this whole "we always had this policy" argument dosen't really fly with me and I am sure some others as well.

• Brohoof 3

Fair enough but "we always had this policy" argument comes off as a tad patronizing to some people because it was never officially mentioned until now yet that arguments was still just made like it was as obvious as 2+2=4 but I suppose my point on that has been made and any further tangents on my part will probably be misinterpreted as me trying to cause trouble anyway. The fact that there needs to be damage control is understandable but again this whole "we always had this policy" argument dosen't really fly with me and I am sure some others as well.

It has been officially mentioned. The name "Global Rules" itself means that the rules apply everywhere on the site. We also have a specific clause in there regarding messages:

These rules are global and apply everywhere on MLP Forums. That includes personal messages, too. Individual forums may have their own rules, which will be displayed at the top of their index pages.

• Brohoof 7

pri·vate

ˈprīvit/

adjective

IPB actually calls it "messenger", not private message, or PM. There's a reason for that: This capability is a built in tool. I've had messages read in connection with someone else being investigated, and honestly, unless you're carrying on anything explicit it's no big deal. You think Google and Microsoft can't read your Skype messages and emails? They absolutely can. And before you come back with the excuse that they don't use it against you, we're not them. This site allows for people as young as 13, so we need to keep to that standard.

but I guess you guys got to at least show that you are doing something so this place dosen't get shut down and no one goes to jail.

Is that really such a bad thing? I rather like it here, and I know a lot of other people do it. I sure as shit don't want to go to jail.

underage

This. His profile said he's 15, and that's what we have to go off of. Also, remember that just because someone says they're over the age of consent doesn't mean they don't lie, or that they aren't underage just because they haven't supplied that information. We just don't know.

Additionally, when you guys signed up, you agreed to the global rules, as did I, and the rest of the staff. 

• Brohoof 8

This is very good announcement. I was once offended and threatened in private messages (not this site) there were no report buttons or anything like that. No one were there for me. I can tell you it wasn't very funny at the police station after that. I had no evidence that anything happened. Trust me guys this is great news. It's very important to know that these things are taken seriously.

Good job!

• Brohoof 5

Is that really such a bad thing? I rather like it here, and I know a lot of other people do it. I sure as shit don't want to go to jail.

No, and I don't want anyone going to jail but saying "we always had this policy" when we didn't until this announcement is a bad thing and no simply saying "they are called the global rules" dosen't count and I have no idea what clause SCS is talking about because I read the rules albeit not recently and I don't remember that. I understood where you guys were coming from until that bogus argument came up and I can sense my blood pressure going up with nearly every post here so it is probably best I bid you all goodnight and come back to this tomorrow if at all.

• Brohoof 2

IPB actually calls it "messenger", not private message, or PM. There's a reason for that: This capability is a built in tool. I've had messages read in connection with someone else being investigated, and honestly, unless you're carrying on anything explicit it's no big deal. You think Google and Microsoft can't read your Skype messages and emails? They absolutely can. And before you come back with the excuse that they don't use it against you, we're not them. This site allows for people as young as 13, so we need to keep to that standard.

This. His profile said he's 15, and that's what we have to go off of. Also, remember that just because someone says they're over the age of consent doesn't mean they don't lie, or that they aren't underage just because they haven't supplied that information. We just don't know.

Additionally, when you guys signed up, you agreed to the global rules, as did I, and the rest of the staff.

If he was underage, then sure, but it is very hard to tell what is what but that is why I still don't agree entirely with how this is being handled. I just do not want the worry of all of our conversations potentially being monitored, that's an uncomfortable thought, but I am also not saying that is what is going to happen, I just hope it doesn't go that far. It might not, but it is just a slight concern of mine.

With that said, I won't object any further, I know this system is going to be this way regardless. I also don't RP like I said anyways, so I guess it is what it is. As long as members aren't constantly being snooped on, which apparently they aren't, then I don't have anything else to say on the matter.

• Brohoof 2

No, and I don't want anyone going to jail but saying "we always had this policy" when we didn't until this announcement is a bad thing and no simply saying "they are called the global rules" dosen't count and I have no idea what clause SCS is talking about because I read the rules albeit not recently and I don't remember that.

You know that thing that you had to check "I accept" and continue when you registered? It was in there.

• Brohoof 6