Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you believe that you are of above average intelligence?

PSP (Dizzy)

I believe that I am below average, grades are bad because I can't remember the material. Handwriting is sloppy, besides my sig because I practiced that for like months. And some of the simpalist stuff just flys right over my head. And spelling is complete garbage.

Most of the time I think I am, if only because it's easier to express. I actually think my intelligence is around average, possibly leaning a little towards above average. Where I have most people beat is in my insightful nature and observational skills. Not the same thing as "intelligence," but no less valuable.

• Brohoof 3

I'd say yes.

I got higher than average grades at school, and I can understand things better than most people.

Judging from the sort of stupid things so many people say on the internet, I'm a genius, but pretty much everyone on this forum probably is relative to them - bronies are generally a lot more open minded than average people, which means we can learn more easily and consider things logically. In my experience bronies tend to say stupid things (e.g. The NWO is trying to brainwash us, vaccines cause autism, clothes can drain energy from our bodies) a lot less often than non-bronies do.

It's not a coincidence that the 2013 herd census gave a 20x higher than normal rate of INTJ (aka mastermind) personality type in bronies than in the general population.

Most of the time I think I am, if only because it's easier to express. I actually think my intelligence is around average, possibly leaning a little towards above average. Where I have most people beat is in my insightful nature and observational skills. Not the same thing as "intelligence," but no less valuable.

Insight and observational skills are important aspects which contribute to the intelligence of people, though logical ability is generally the most important thing.

Though it really depends exactly how you define "intelligence".

• Brohoof 1

I believe that I am below average, grades are bad because I can't remember the material. Handwriting is sloppy, besides my sig because I practiced that for like months. And some of the simpalist stuff just flys right over my head. And spelling is complete garbage.

That doesn't make you unintelligent (have you ever seen the handwriting of the typical doctor's prescription?).

Poor memory and spelling don't neccessarily make you less intelligent, though they can make you look and feel less intelligent, and lower intelligence makes it harder to improve them. Logical ability is usually what defines intelligence.

If I can base it off comparing myself to most of the people who were in my year at school, then yes I would. I at least seemed to value intelligent thought a lot more then the brutish ogres and party loving, trend following sheep that comprised a fair majority of my school year. Outside of that, I dunno. I'm a deep thinker and I have many interests that would usually be seen as something of a higher intelligence, but I still suck at stuff like maths.  :blush: 

• Brohoof 2

Well let's see I'd say I'm above average intelligence but I'm stupid if you catch my drift. I'm stupid because I don't bother studying for tests, I can fail at the simplest of tasks and just seem like a downright idiot. The reason I say I'm intelligent isn't because of some IQ test I once passed, I don't know my IQ (and neither does Stephen Hawking just fyi  ;) ), I say I'm intelligent because I can make connections and ask questions that no one else seems to. I mean I've tried to visualise a 4th dimension in the past, it was wasted time our brains just can't do it  :lol:. I also like to believe that intelligence and smarts are different things, I say smarts are what you learn and can retain but that intelligence is just your natural ability to think. I've also been told that my intelligence is wasted on me because instead of trying to solve theories or ask why are we all here, I use it to ask stupid hypotheticals like if me as a person who was only limited by the laws of physics and who knew everything in the known universe would I know what my own eyes look like without them being reflected or being a still image? If I know all I should know that but I couldn't possibly know that because I'm bound by the laws of physics therefore would have no way of actually seeing my own eyes with my own eyes.

I also use it in a very unappreciated form of intelligence, comedy. Comedy should be considered a form of intelligence because it requires complex thinking and making connections no one normally thinks of to get them to laugh which is difficult to do I can tell you first hand, trying to be the funny guy requires your brain to work continuously and not miss a beat.

Are we talking about IQ score or just our general knowledge? The IQ score means nothing and does not indicate the capabilities of a person and what they may achieve, the main thing that differentiates is the efficiency of our mind and how certain information is processed depending on our score. Many cases have shown that the success of someone in life has nothing to do with their IQ scores nor does it determine the amount of knowledge that someone may have attained. Anyways I would fall within the average IQ Score range from my score, as for if that still applies considering the time in which has passed I cannot say.

Edited by A. Dazven

Though many consider me above average sadly I cannot come to believing or agreeing with this as I highly believe I am below average... though I am going though a time of a lack of self-respect so it's no surprise....

I think so. I have done tests that say I'm above average. I hate saying it though. Humility keeps me from telling people this in real life. Because I don't want to say that I'm smarter than anyone. Intelligence also doesn't make you an authority or expert in certain subjects. People can be brilliant but have lapses in common sense, or even lack it entirely.

I like to believe that I'm above average intelligence, not only from the few tests that psychologists like to throw at me (I can't name percentiles, but they were "quite high", apparently :/ ) but also from just from growing up at least learning above everybody else I knew. Most people were amazed that I did a Shakespeare play for a book report in 6th, but I had been reading his plays by 2nd grade. With history, I seem to pass some of the teacher's I've had sometime, being able to cite sources that were so new that they were still unproven (many debates over something discovered only months prior were common). I'm nowhere near genius, but I have quick wit and actively learn on my own, so long as numbers don't need to be involved.

Yes though if you ask me it is becoming less and less of accomplishment as the standards for what qualifies as "average" keep going down the crapper. Of course unless you are someone like Albert Einstein or Nicola Tesla chances are there is someone out there that is smarter than you of course even then though it is possible to be proficient at some things yet fail miserably at some others as everyone is different.

I guess I'm above average in school since I usually (except math last year) get all As, but that's probably because I have a good memory. I'm definitely pretty dumb compared to some of the users here (like SasQ), and I have a hard time with mathematical equations.

So I'm probably just average, unfortunately. Although it seems like there are millions of ways to measure intelligence :huh:

Edited by SparklingSwirls
  • Brohoof 1

I've been a more knowledgeable individual, and I took an IQ test a while ago (I can't remember what that was), but I wouldn't say I'm of above average intelligence.