Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How do you feel about playboy doing an article on bronies?

xenozfan3

I gotta hand it to Playboy for giving a fairly positive take on the fandom. They could have EASILY tried to appeal their male audience by going the douchebag route by putting us down by saying something like, "Hey look at these grown men liking MLP and talking about men having feelings and such. They should be out doing what NORMAL red blooded men do, like trying to get laid instead, ect, ect."

I hold them higher than Fox News for how they portrayed us.

Edited by whitetiger187
  • Brohoof 5

I'm always happy when anything (magazine, TV show, etc.) portrays the fandom in an unbiased or neutral light.  Some of the major news stations that have done (and I am reluctant to call them this) REPORTS on Bronies do it literally from the completely uninformed side of your average anti-brony and then dare to say it's all "facts", despite them looking no further than a few risque pictures of Rainbow Dash on 4Chan.  I'm thrilled that Playboy actually wrote something that doesn't sound like the irate babbling of an Internet hater.   

• Brohoof 1

That's pretty cool. The last place I expected something like BABScon to be covered is in playboy.

As a sociology major, I found the whole thing fascinating. I have to admit, I didn't get the whole Brony phenomenon for the longest time. It was only after watching the show that I started to get it. I have since found that Bronies are nothing like what I was expecting. They're caring, charitable and I found out they're really welcoming when I went to BronyCAN. I have to admit, I still haven't completely discarded my sociologist hat, and part of the reason for going last year was so that I could observe Bronies in real life. During the con, I ended up observing while having my own fun. I'm definitely going to try to go again this year. I actually did a mini-ethnography on Bronies for a class this past semester, largely to further my understanding of the whole phenomenon, but while it still seems odd to me that I'm a part of it, one thing I can say for certain is that I'm wrapped up in it.

What a delightful read. You could just feel his change from bemusement to full on acceptance of the fandom just because he went and gave it a chance. Isn't it ironic that PLAYBOY is the one to give a fair and balanced opinion on bronies based on actual research and interviews while actual News Stations *cough FOX cough* look for the most despicable slanderous ways of skewing the information? 

plus now I can say this and have it be true: Playboy, I just read it for the articles

Edited by Buck Testa

article... playboy...

article...

nobody will ever read it.

Seriously, though, a few months ago, my friend any I swapped articles on random subjects. I read several random articles that day, from a variety of sites, and almost all of them were terrible. All except one. Playboy may have its primary appeal in Marilyn Monroe's melons, but their writers are actually quite respectable. Doesn't surprise me that they made a good brony article.

• Brohoof 1

I went to read it when it came out with very low expectations. Since it was Playboy I expected it to be along the lines of "what a bunch of girly losers, must be something wrong with them as men." Read it and was surprised by how good of an article it was. I'm glad that the fandom is being shown in a good light from some "alternative" sources

What a delightful read. You could just feel his change from bemusement to full on acceptance of the fandom just because he went and gave it a chance. Isn't it ironic that PLAYBOY is the one to give a fair and balanced opinion on bronies based on actual research and interviews while actual News Stations *cough FOX cough* look for the most despicable slanderous ways of skewing the information? 

plus now I can say this and have it be true: Playboy, I just read it for the articles

>legitimate news stations

>Fox

You sure? : P

Our influence is spreading. The world better prepare itself for group hugs & brohoofs. 

Although with the recent display of halfway respectable reporting by playboy, we now have to wonder what's next?

4chan collectively winning a nobel peace prize?