music favorite decade of music?

Zantetsuken

(edited)

I like to categorize music by decade cause I believe each decade has a certain sound to it

so I wonder what is your favorite decade of music 

for me it's a pretty high tossup between the 80's and 90's with the 80's just barely winning 

the 80's just had this sound to it that I loved, 1982,1983,1984.and 1985 especially, all years with music that I can only describe as magical. I would like to give an analysis of the 80's but all I know is that near of the end of the 80's the magic did die down as the 80's styles stayed into the 90's. 1990, 1991 and 1992 are all seen as a slow painful death to the likes of hair metal and other quintessentially 80's music formats    

so yeah 

Edited by Zantetsuken

I take a lot of favorite songs out of many decades.

But since I love electronic I'll go with this decade. However, I do not like the modern rap music that is usually popular with my age. I like most EDM, though.

But a ton of songs I love come from the 80s, so overall I'd say this period is noteworthy and a very close second. 

img-9966-1-n53gwk.jpg

Signature: Akagami no Shirayuki-hime

What do you think of me?:

http://kevan.org/johari?name=pinkeh

Same answer as Pinkeh, as an electronic music lover I generally prefer the music of this decade, although there are plenty of good songs from the previous decades too.

I'll definitely say this decade has been good so far. This decades pop/punk rock has been really good so far. Also I feel like metal is starting to comeback a bit or maybe that's just me. Also what are we going to call this decade? The twenty-tens?

JustJustaMonika.jpg.57d7eb45565d778a5fe909145eda2385.jpgMonika

Nope. Couldn't pick a decade. Contrary to you, I feel like sounds are not relevant to the year of creation, and the only connection would be in what was considered most popular of that time becoming that year's "sounds". It would be impossible for me to pick a favourite genre, let alone a favourite year/decade for music. :/

9hEemz2.gif

Hell, I'll just rate them all right now.

1900s - Definite effort, but recording quality at the time was so terribad that it makes these songs hard to listen to. 5/10

1910s - Much better recording quality. Enough that music from this age has just the right amount of grain to feel rustic without being annoying. Lyrics would also deal with the horrors of World War 1, among other things. 8/10

1920s - A much more innocent time than the 10s. Slightly better recording quality, but not as complex lyrically. The standout, however, is that this decade marked the beginnings of the Jazz age, and that early jazz still sounds amazing. 8/10

1930s - By now, recording quality is a non-issue, and the jazz age is in full swing. Some of the greatest records of all time were born out of the 30s. 9/10

1940s - The 30s upswing continues. Swing and big band reach their peak during World War II, but even in their decline, we see the (extraordinary) beginnings of rock and roll and the golden age of crooning. Plus, 40s propaganda music is just fantastic. 10/10

1950s - The perfect intersection of the jazz and rock ages. I honestly can't decide whether I like this decade or the previous one better. They're both fantastic. 10/10

1960s - The Jazz age comes to a close, but the rock age gets dirtier and edgier in the advent of the Vietnam War. Also, Gospel and R&B become a thing, which makes this decade fantastic in itself. 9/10

1970s - The golden age of songwriting. Lyrically, this is the best decade in music. Other things, however, I feel have been lost with time. Sadly, Disco is now a thing. 8/10

1980s - Still a good decade, but even though early synthesizers sounded cool for some songs, I feel it got a bit overused. 7/10

1990s - Sadly, a majority of the few good songs by this point are those by acts still stuck in the 80s or prior. Computers are becoming ubiquitous in production, and boy bands are appealing to mass audiences. 4/10

2000s - What little good music there is by now is drowned out by megatons of absolute and utter shitey crap. Electronica becomes a major genre, which sucks almost all the fun out of music automatically. 2/10

2010s - What few good songs I can name from the present decade are nearly insignificant by now. Electronica completely dominates the mainstream AND underground scenes, washing away any remaining bastions of quality or effort. Almost nothing redeemable. 0/10

• Brohoof 1

Amoral cynic with a bitchin' vocabulary.

Check out A Century of Song if you like music from before this millennium.

img-13195-1-img-13195-1-MdSgkqe.png

Sig by ~Cider Barrel~ (design), Skaren (left vector), and ~Rhodarein (right vector). Avatar by ~Scootaloo (design) and Skaren (vector).

The 80's. The platinum age of music. Specifically heavy metal. Glam metal bands like Motley Crue & Def Leppard  dominated teh sunset strip. The New Wave Of British Heavy Metal had taken over Europe with Iron Maiden, Motorhead, and a revived Judas Priest taking the helm. Power metal was getting it's start with Manowar, Blind Guardian, Stratovarius & Helloween. AC/DC, Van Halen & Ozzy controlled the charts. But while glam metal lost it's charm, the new wave sputtered out & power metal was practically banned from America, one genre from that time period stood above all others and persists to this day: Thrash metal.

Speed metal + American hardcore punk made one of the most intense & virtuoso styles of music. Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax, Exodus, Testament, Overkill, Death Angel and many others from the 80's still carry on successfully today. Thrash speaks to people of all ages, with concerts contain fans spanning multiple generations. No genre has more bands that can claim that sort of credit than Thrash. 

• Brohoof 1

DENIMVENOM.jpg.044401b86728c9eacc741b8d13926f4e.jpg

I as raised on 90's rock, so i will have to go with that. however, i have recently got into electroswing and bands like The Heavy, or Moon Hooch, which have rock elements, but also have soul, jazz, and are dancable.

KILL IT!

Pretty much what Denim & Venom said would be my answer although my likes of musics spreads from the 50s till now. If I had to choose my favorite era maybe 70s.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

@@Mand'alor Dash, nice post.  I agree to most of it.

Except...

1990s - Sadly, a majority of the few good songs by this point are those by acts still stuck in the 80s or prior. Computers are becoming ubiquitous in production, and boy bands are appealing to mass audiences. 4/10

What?

"Stuck in the 80s"? 

Oh no... Influence does not equate to redundancy.

The 1990s was the decade for Grunge!  Which, I'm pretty sure is quite different from 80s rock.  

Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots... they don't sound "stuck in the 80s" because grunge was in the 90s.  

Of course, there were other rock bands that weren't grunge, but that doesn't make them stuck in decades past.  Blind Melon is probably one of the best examples of a band that, if a person had never heard of them before and someone played the song "No Rain" (my favorite), the person may not be able to recognize what decade its from.

It just goes to show that even if one genre seems to "name the decade," music will always be broad, and no one genre will ever truly rule a decade.

Rock, Pop, Country, Techno, House, R&B, Blues, Folk, Jazz... The list never ends.  There are a plethora of genres and sub-genres.

It's all about the demographics of the listeners as to how you view music.  If you live in a certain area where a certain culture heavily influences what music you listen to, or if your parents, family, friends, etc. listen to certain music... it will shape your views of a decade different from others.

For me, the 1990s was a decade for grunge rock, and some alternative rock, and a bit of nu-metal towards the end of the decade.

For some others, the 1990s was a decade of boy bands.  

For even more others, it was all about the techno.  If you can name other songs by Eiffel 65 besides "Blue" (*eye roll*), such as "Living in a Bubble" or "Hyperlink" (now we're talkin, heh), then you know what I mean.

Music creates a paradox when it does this.  Because we say "[decade]'s music," but we never stop listening to it.  So, it's named by its time, but yet it's timeless because it lives on forever.

There is no "sound by decade" in all reality, because every band is unique, no matter how similar it may sound to another, it's never the same, because it's not the same.  Influence does not create redundancy.  Influence creates evolution [of music].

~ Miles

P.S.

Edited by Miles
  • Brohoof 3

sig-27651.c9d433c71d.png

~ Rise And Rise Again, Until Lambs Become Lions ~

What? "Stuck in the 80s"?  Oh no... Influence does not equate to redundancy. The 1990s was the decade for Grunge!  Which, I'm pretty sure is quite different from 80s rock.

I was a bit more literal in my meaning.

I was referring to bands such as Bon Jovi or The Scorpions. Primarily 80s bands that continued into the 90s. Honestly, I never really got grunge. I don't hate it, and I even see the appeal, but I guess it's just not for me.

I didn't mean to imply that Nirvana was in any way 80s, nor did I mean that influence was a bad thing.

Music creates a paradox when it does this.  Because we say "[decade]'s music," but we never stop listening to it.  So, it's named by its time, but yet it's timeless because it lives on forever. There is no "sound by decade" in all reality, because every band is unique, no matter how similar it may sound to another, it's never the same, because it's not the same.  Influence does not create redundancy.  Influence creates evolution [of music].

Well, one can deny neither influence nor evolution, but at the same time, the milestones for this evolution really can be measured by the decades. Listen to two songs from the 20s, and you'll see definite similarities, then compare them to the 30s or 40s, and you can tell that some of these similarities are no longer there.

The idea of the "sound of a decade" comes from this grand measuring stick of chronology that we call the 20th and 21st centuries, and the frequency with which the sounds change just happening to loosely line up with the 9s and 0s of that scale.

Amoral cynic with a bitchin' vocabulary.

Check out A Century of Song if you like music from before this millennium.

img-13195-1-img-13195-1-MdSgkqe.png

Sig by ~Cider Barrel~ (design), Skaren (left vector), and ~Rhodarein (right vector). Avatar by ~Scootaloo (design) and Skaren (vector).

Today there is more music than ever before thanks to the internet. Only because there is a thick layer of crap on top, doesn't mean there is amazing things to be found out there. I'm assuming the biggest reason people miss older music is because of nostalgia or laziness to find new music hidden away at the corners of the internet.

• Brohoof 4

ri86jc.jpg

(Drawing by Digiral)

It's hard to read this thread because of all the people generalising all music today and last decade as auto-tuned, uninspired, boring garbage. Maybe if you searched harder you'd find something you'd like. There's a lot of different artists out there of different genres. 

Anyway on topic:

My favourite decade is between this and the 00's. The rise of electro in this decade is awesome, and the 00's had some nice progressive electronic music.

• Brohoof 3

Today there is more music than ever before thanks to the internet. Only because there is a thick layer of crap on top, doesn't mean there is amazing things to be found out there. I'm assuming the biggest reason people miss older music is because of nostalgia or laziness to find new music hidden away at the corners of the internet.

Someone, please give this man a medal.... and a cookie.

• Brohoof 1

JustJustaMonika.jpg.57d7eb45565d778a5fe909145eda2385.jpgMonika

Favourite Decades:

1970s-Back when Rock was emerging,Nice Country Music and amazing Pop Songs,Also Disco

1980s-Best Music Decade of the world,Pop was better than the 70s,Hard Rock and heavy metal was famous.Also R&B and funk.

1990s-Nothing Much to say,Rock Music Continued to be popular,Since i listen to that in the 90s

Today-Nothing More to say,I Like Drum and bass,Maybe Dubstep.

“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown” 

DeviantArt Account/Youtube account

2000-2010, followed by 2010-

I mean, yeah, my current favorite bands existed in the 90s, but they were not nearly as amazing as they are now. Marco Hietala joining Nightwish, the releases of all of Sabaton's major studio albums, the EDM producers of the last decade and even some from this one, the internet giving me easy access to all my favorite songs and artists especially.