Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What are your thoughts on Alicorn Oc's?

PegaDash1

I Don't Have a problem with it as long as:

• It Dosen't Have Any Colourful/Rainbow-ish Manes. 
  • Isn't Related To Luna,Cadence or Celestia,And Twilight.
  • It Isn't Mary Sue
  • Legitimate Backstory
  • It Has A leadership position,Seriously,Who wants a alicorn as a civilian.
  • Brohoof 1

Having an OC named Corncob that is a cockatrice-turned-alicorn, I am deeply offended by your words!!1!

I think it's ridiculous that anyone takes issue with anyone else's OC.  Someone could create an OC alicorn named Lauren Faust that also possessed chaos magic and the ability to travel through time and to any and all worlds, and it wouldn't affect either the show or anyone else's damned OC in the least.  You know what bothers me far more than an alicorn OC ever will?  The term "Mary Sue."  It's been used so often that it's practically a buzzword that simply means "this sucks."  That any creators of an alicorn OC have to jump through a set of hoops established by the fandom to be considered satisfactorily un-Mary Sue-ish is ridiculous.  For a fandom that seemingly celebrates the creativity of its members, it's sure as hell quick to turn around and stomp on it, too.

"But alicorn OCs aren't creative."  No one's OC is particularly creative; they're all derivative.  OC and let OC.  Get over it.

• Brohoof 1

Well, I've considered making an alicorn OC, but I haven't due to how much time I would want to spend making sure they're not an over powered, mary sue with little to no backstory. 
The sheer amount of time that would need to be spent making a good Alicorn OC is almost not worth it to me. Most people just write some stupid mary sue backstory about "they are the daughter of princess celestia and were the apprentice of nightmare moon and took over for nightmare moon when princess luna returned and was super powerful and not even the elements could stop her blah blah blah" or something really silly like that. No. That's not how it works.

*ahem*
sorry for my rant. please continue.

• Brohoof 1

Oh I hate alicorn oc's with a passion. They just annoy me along with all the other bad and flashy oc's. Less is more, people!

I hear ya. The best OC is the kind that would seem to fit into Equestria, have a good backstory (one that isn't too edgy) and has abilities that isn't just glaringly overpowered or bad.

• Brohoof 2

I hear ya. The best OC is the kind that would seem to fit into Equestria, have a good backstory (one that isn't too edgy) and has abilities that isn't just glaringly overpowered or bad.

Or, if they are overpowered, make give them an important, but non protagonic role  ;)

• Brohoof 1

Having an OC named Corncob that is a cockatrice-turned-alicorn,

I think it's ridiculous that anyone takes issue with anyone else's OC.

So you think it's ridiculous to dislike something? Why do you do that?

You know what bothers me far more than an alicorn OC ever will?  The term "Mary Sue."

So now it isn't ridiculous to take issue with something?  You gotta make up your mind.

• 1 year later...

I don't have a problem with slicorn OCs in general, they're just extremely tricky to pull off and someone is bound to hate it, because no one can agree on what makes a good alicorn OC.

• Brohoof 1

I guess it's just fine. I don't hate them but I don't like them. If people just want to have a Mary Sue OC, it's their own choice. Personally, alicorns aren't really my type. But I won't judge anyone who has an alicorn OC. :)

Its not necessary. You can have a perfectly good OC without it being an alicorn. Most of them are top tier cringe anyways.

Most of this fandom is top tier cringe

Also, stop making DJ oc's.

(edited)

Honeslty I'm uncomfortable making one because of the Stigma. I have a few ideas for how I would try to make  it work though. the first is to write a solid chractar as an Earth Pony, Pegasus, or Unicorn and than maybe later find a reasonable narrative justificaiton to make them an Alicorn.

2. make the Alicorn status a form of Blessed With Suck examine the social and cultural implications and expectations of living as an alicorn, what it means to be an alicorn, etc. Very s imilar to how one would examine the nature of pwoer and authority with somethign like the Sword of Damoclese. THough honeslty I don't think I'm good enough to pull this off.

Ponies are defined by their actions, not the way they were born.

Edited by Libarty Justice

I don't have a problem with slicorn OCs in general, they're just extremely tricky to pull off and someone is bound to hate it, because no one can agree on what makes a good alicorn OC.

I have an Alicorn leader for my pony race, otherwise I just have pegasi, unicorn and earth.  You're right about the tricky part.

Having said that. if somepony is an alicorn you hav eto consider  what that means for them as a pony. how being born or made an alicorn has impacted and shaped them in ways that wouldn't have happened if they weren't as well as the essential understanding of why they are Alicorns.  An essential thing to take in to consideration is precedent and recorded history. For example, when considering whether your character was born an alicorn or made in to one consider the current historical understanding tha tthe first known pony to be born an alicorn was Flurry Heart. Consider what this means for a born alicorn. This doesn't mean  that born alicorns are strictly off limits. it just means there are several considerations. if they're in a time period before Celestia na dLuna than maybe histoerical oversight, if they 're during the time of Celestia na dLU na consider whby the y aren't known of, if they ere born sometime after the time of Celestia nad Luna youa hve a lot to work from. there's also the "alternat unoiverse" excuse but honeslty personally I think that's just being lazy.

• Brohoof 1

Despite my alicorn OC, I tend to cringe a bit while reading some other character sheets/drawings of other alicorn OC. They're usually in the royalty and overpowered, or just overpowered and the royals don't even mind this... A friend had an alicorn OC who was the daughter of Nightmare Moon and King sombra... Roleplaying with her was a pain in the ass. Plus she was carnivore.

I have to admit, my OC WAS like this at the beginning, he was the lord of the Ponyville surroundings and he was married to Twilight Sparkle... And he had a really dark backstory. I'm currently laughing at myself because it sucked.

Now he's an actor that retired to Ponyville and he's happy and everything. (you can check his character sheet in my signature and critique him if you want, I love receiving critiques)

So yeah. I don't really mind alicorn OCs if they're well written and designed.

As long as they aren't Mary Sue/ OP and rainbow colors, I'm fine. But personally I don't like them

I don't like them enough for me to DM an alicorn killing roleplay (sorta)

(edited)

I have nothing against them, and I actually don't like that you are limited to do certain type of OCs and can't make alicorn only because "it doesn't fit canon" or "they are rare in canon" or whatever. In my opinion they can be as powerful and perfect as anyone wants. But RPs are different story, it's not fun to RP if there is somebody with perfect and super powerful alicorn OC.

Edited by The Cerberus

I dislike Alicorn OCs for many reasons:

1: It takes almost no thought, you do not have to make the hard decision of what type of pony your OC will be, so you just use that stupid loophole and say it is every type.

2: It makes you look kind of full of yourself, giving the impression that you think you are superior to everypony else.

3: Alicorns are supposed to be EXTREMELY rare. So having one as your OC makes them more common and bland.

4: The 4 (5 including flurry heart) Alicorn princesses are the only known Alicorns. So you are going completely against cannon.

5: I REALLY WANT TO STRESS THE FIRST 2!!!!!!!!!

So yeah, that is why I hate Alicorn OCs.

It just seems...kinda lazy? Idk that's me though. My friend wanted me to create her a ponysona and I asked her what she wanted to be and she says "an alicorn" and I literally just stare at her until she laughs and says a Pegasus. she's my best friend and if she was being serious I would've had a serious issue drawing that.

I personally find them to be a tad overdone and way over powered. It's like the creator didn't want to choose between flight and magic and just went with alicorn to avoid that choice. Even with an okay back story it still makes me cringe.

But again, that's just me.

I personally don't mind alicorn oc's as long they have a original enough story / design. Actually my oc is a alicorn but I cant say how many times I've read peoples oc's info only to find their like the daughter of celestia or their related to some important pony in some way .Or they look like a recolored version of one of the main princesses. So as long they have a well written/designed character It doesn't really bother me really.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

I respect alicorn OCs because the OC may be the all powerful being of that universe. Alicorn ponysonas? I respect those too. The person who likes to see themselves as an alicorn does not care what other bronies think, and I think people are cool for that.

(edited)

They are the owner's creation and while subject to criticism/opinions, they are 'the owner's creation'. If they want to have the daughter of Celestia, let them have her. What you think might be better for them could end up making them not want the character at all, therefore ruining the creative process and the fun of the world they were making for themselves.

If they want help, they'll ask. If they don't want help, then let them be. You don't have to play with them, but be careful, because criticism is a two-way street.

For the record, I don't have one.

Edited by x0jackie0x