Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What are your thoughts on Alicorn Oc's?

PegaDash1

So Alicorn OC's have been really making me mad lately. I really just don't like them. Whenever I come across an Alicorn OC, its generally a Mary Sue type pony. I mean, my friend's Alicorn OC is just perfect in every way. And that's how it is with most of the fandom's alicorn OC's too. But the big reason I don't like them is the fact an Alicorn is supposed to be something rare and amazing. Not just 'Oh, another Alicorn, great.'

Anyway, what are your thoughts on them? Please, I don't mean to offend anypony who IS and Alicorn, I'm sure its great. Please don't get mad at me...?

• Brohoof 2

To be fair, in canon RP settings alicorns are usually to be reserved for special slots and even then, those slots need to have more of a guidance GM fill in instead of a participant fill in.

Pulling off an alicorn successfully requires RP mastery.

That being said, maybe someone just wants to have an alicorn for fun. I won't be taking the character seriously at all, but maybe the person who made it is good fun.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Im not  a fan of alicorn OC's, They kinda of make me cringe a bit... Im getting really tired of seeing so many, And 99% of them are vector pictures... Can't they at least draw one themselves or ask someone else to draw it for them? -.-

Please don't kill me for saying this but, As fast as an OC is related to something cannon in the show, It's dead to me.

Edited by Lemon Stripe
  • Brohoof 2

I don't have a problem with them as long as they have a legit Alicorn title that makes sense and a history behind how they became an Alicorn. Otherwise, I just shrug, perhaps roll my eyes depending on how bad it is and then move on.

• Brohoof 3

I really couldn't care less, if people want to have alicorn OCs, then let them  -_-. However, RPing is a different story, I wouldn't want to RP with someone who has an alicorn story unless it was definitely a part of the story line. My humble opinion  >_>

• Brohoof 2

If someone makes their MLP OC an alicorn, that's fine with me. I don't like them, but I don't hate them. I just see many alicorn OCs that are Mary Sue-ish.

• Brohoof 3

I love alicorn OCs. In fact, I respect those in the fandom that make alicorn OCs, despite the negative stigma that surrounds them. That takes courage. I couldn't care less if an alicorn OC's perfect, because that's someone having fun. Unless they're writing a narrative, I don't care how perfect or imperfect their character is. And even if they're writing a narrative, I don't care that it's an alicorn.

If I had to choose between a perfectly average unicorn that spends his days in a bakery and going about his mundane life, or alicorn Prince Butterscotch Sprinkles the Fifteenth who battles sugary monsters, you can bet your butt I'd go with the alicorn.

I have to say for the most part that I really can't stand them sometimes :eww:

That being said, I'm not going to attack someone that has an Alicorn OC, because that's their own choice. It just gets really annoying when people shove them in your face, and claim that they are the long lost sister of Celestia and Luna or something. That's when it crosses the line.

• Brohoof 1

The only time I've ever encountered an alicorn OC I've liked was in Fallout Equestria - Starfall, and that was from an alternate universe in which a good number of alicorns were created. They were often disliked do to the races past actions, and that particular character had over a half million words of development.

In a common RP environment, however, I've never seen a well rounded alicorn OC.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

So you finally decided to break the ice. Everything you said I agree with (no offense to people with an alicorn oc). This is due to me being an absolute lore whore. Meaning I like works closer to the lore of Equestria and not a complete re-design of the ponyverse. I always liked it when it was only Luna and Celestia as the alicorns as Faust intended it to be. With Cadence I was like well okay. Now it's Twilight... ::grit my teeth::

mlpwhywouldyoudothat-1.gif

Edited by cidershield
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

Being that my OC is an alicorn, I'm all for it. I have three different thoughts on the matter: regarding avatars, stories and RPing.

If it's an avatar, that's completely fine. In fact, I don't see why anyone should get mad over this. It's just an image meant to represent someone. So what skin is it off anyone else's nose if that person wants it to be an alicorn?

If it's part of a story, then it depends on the story. Does the story call for an alicorn? Why? How is the characterization? Are the well-written? Are they well-developed? These are all questions which would factor into whether I'd like an alicorn character in any given story. However, I'm not against it on principle. And anyway, if you wanna write a bad story with poorly developed characters, again, how is that anyone else's business? I mean, if you want your story to be good, those are things you need to think about, and I don't think you can feel defensive if someone picks apart your character. But if you don't care about those things, then go for it.

As for RPing, I think they only belong if the game calls for it. If they need an alicorn character, then you can be an alicorn character. However, this doesn't seem to be for most of RPing. I think if you go into RPing hoping to use your alicorn OC, you'll be disappointed, I think.

On the whole, I don't see why it bothers other people so much. Unless it is regarding RPing, if that's what the person wants to do I don't see why other people have to have a stick up their ass about it.

Edited by Clover Heart

@@JonasDarkmane, Well, it's their choice to be an alicorn, but I just find a lot of them are Mary Sues. 

@, If you like them, that's fine :)

But I just don't like them that much, but if your OC is an Alicorn I completely respect your opinions.

@@darkwingmare,

If they have an actual reason to be an alicorn, I don't mind. But i find are a lot of Alicorn OC's are very Mary Sueish 

Yeah I know, it's a lot of pretty weird Alicorn OC's out there. But there are also a lot of VERY beautiful ones. Depending on how well thought-through they are by story and looks. 

(edited)

@@darkwingmare,

If they have an actual reason to be an alicorn, I don't mind. But i find are a lot of Alicorn OC's are very Mary Sueish 

I don't care about Mary Sues if they are wrote right and have a build up towards becoming one. In fact a Mary Sue villain is always interesting.

It's the alicorn part. Alicorns are supposed to be rare and unique. It just really messes up the lore.

Edited by cidershield

I don't really like them since I feel like Alicorns are no longer seen as special by our community.

I often see them being described as incredibly powerful and ridiculously over powered but whatever makes people happy I guess.

also I kind of feel like it shows that the creator was unable to decide on a pony race and decided to just be all three in one instead.

Sigh...where are all the griffon ocs? lol xD

If it makes sense and they aren't just an alicorn because the creator thinks its really cool or something, then it's okay. It's never okay if the OC is like bright neon colours or black (the shade) or has any relationship to the mane 6. Looking at those just makes me cringe and I don't understand how people find them cool (and the creators seriously do seem to find them cool). Also a full set of clothes, unless done right, seems odd. Why would a pony wear a jacket and shades?

/mini-rant

• Brohoof 2

I LOVE the concept of more alicorns existing, but I dislike alicorn OCs in general with a few exceptions.

The thing is, I tend to have a healthy respect for alicorns as what amount to the greek Gods of the world, looking over domains and what not. So I like the idea of other Alicorns existing and overseeing things like nature or whatnot. The issue is, I like these characters in a manner akin to Celestia, someone who actually spends their time ruling and managing things. Most people's OC's are basically just adventurers or "Leaning to be an alicorn" which I find terribly mary sueish and that such OCs cheapen alicorns.

post-33206-0-42516000-1432616153_thumb.png

• Brohoof 1

I don't have a problem with them, in theory. I think that it can make the character seem more interesting.

That being said, I have to add a few qualifiers:

1. They have to reasonably work within the confines of the universe. To elaborate: Princess Celestia and Princess Luna are the only two known natural Alicorns. The other two became alicorns by earning it. As such, it's better to have your character earn being one, rather than being another 'long-lost brother/sister/niece/nephew' of the sisters.

2. They must be creative. This means no "Princess of Dusk" or "Princess of Relationships" or something like that. If you're going to make a new alicorn, actually make a new alicorn, not just a rehash of Luna.

3. There must be a story. A character should not just be an alicorn because you want them to be an alicorn, they should be one because it makes sense for the character. This means they have to work for it, and earn it. Look back over your character's story: If there's no reason for them to be an alicorn, they shouldn't be one.

• Brohoof 2

Alicorn OCs are okay if you are just making an avatar or a drawing or something to that effect, and I could even understand the rare usage in RPs, but I think alicorns themselves are just too overpowered. Princess Celestia and Luna were okay, but Cadence and Twilight should not be alicorns at all. If I had written the story, Celestia would be a unicorn, Luna would be a pegasus, and Cadence would be an earth pony. Twily would be herself, and there would be no alicorns whatsoever. Just personal opinion.

• Brohoof 1

Personality>backstory>appearance>abilities.

People seem to forget this, and Alicorn OCs are a good example of people getting this priority system backwards. Its so common because making a powerful OC with a tragic backstory is way easier than making an interesting OC with a realistic personality...and people think physical specialness can replace personal specialness.

• Brohoof 3