Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do more bronies watch mlp than little girls?

Nurse

I'm curious at this point with how big the brony movement is do more bronies watch mlp than little girls? I thought I read a study last year from like 2011 or 2012 that said over half the mlp viewership is from bronies is that true or am I remembering it wrong?

• Brohoof 3

I think there are more young girls that watch it than us, but I think bronies might watch it more, as in we might buy the show and rewatch it more times, since so many of us like to analyze, review, make lots of awesome stuff, etc.

• Brohoof 2

I think the young audience of the show is bigger because, the online communities can give false sense of information, because people aged 5-10 don't often visit the internet and their parents may guard their presence on the web.

• Brohoof 7

I think the younger audience is superior in numbers as the show is directed at them, so they will be watching the same channel, that is meant for them, as always and there will definitely be MLP airing. 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I got to wonder how they know how many children watch the show. They would have to ask their parents and most of the time parents don't know what their children are watching. Do they have spy drones flying around watching us watch the show? Looks like the real show is us folks.

Edited by cidershield
  • Brohoof 2

I'm not sure about it, as we have to take some notes:

1-The adult audience are aware of the upcoming episode, and rewatch older ones, while the target audience are prone to skip already watched episodes

2-The target audience have less presense in the internet

3-They watch their show by scheduling, while we are more informed

with those facts, it's hard to conclude if we are more numerous than the target audience, but I doubt it, as the target audience might be less vocal, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist or are scarce 

• Brohoof 1

I've heard that there are more little girls that watch the show than older men, but that's most likely because the girls watching the show aren't very vocal on the internet.

• Brohoof 2

That's quite difficult to know, not only would it be impossible to find all the people who like MLP in the U.S but you'd also have to take into account the popularity of MLP in other countries. Whilst I think it is more likely that there are more young girls who watch this show I wouldn't be surprised if the number of adults watching this show is at least somewhat close. 

• Brohoof 2

That's the impression I've gotten during much of my time in the fandom, but a lot of the posters above have a good point about the more restricted/guarded internet usage of the show's target audience.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

I for one don't have a very full grasp on how exactly TV watching habits actually happen for little kids in modern times. When I was a little kid, I either watched Saturday morning cartoons on network TV (Kids WB) or maybe Nickelodeon if I was in a home with cable TV.

As a kid and a younger teen, I was only aware of new episodes if I happened to see a TV spot advertising a new episode. There was no Internet element to me being a fan or awareness of upcoming episodes.

... I have an eight-year-old niece whose parents have a satellite TV package with Discover Family, and I'm almost certain they've got a DVR, but I'm not sure if she bothers to take it upon herself to tune into Discovery Family. EDIT: I'm entirely certain that she hasn't taken my advice to DVR it, even tho their previous TV provider, which was cable TV, had DVR. Maybe they don't have DVR anymore? (she used it plenty before without being a DVR hog. Well, I'm gonna find out in one week when I visit their home and have access to flip through channels on their TV.)

(they, she and her sister, mostly became fans via me having DVDs of whole seasons in my own home)

I'm not sure if little kids really follow TV anymore right down to the episode, because the tradition of making time for Saturday mornings is dead now.

Sometimes Netflix and on-demand services are a major way of them accessing entertainment media content.

And of course for many little kids, their interests are rather transient and a passing thing that they do casually.

Edited by GuillermoGage
  • Brohoof 2

TV habits and media consumption for younger children today are constantly evolving, just like with adults. Now you have cable cutting, a heavier reliance on replayable digital media (physical, digital, DVR), and parents that manage content consumption through devices.

That all started when my kids were young. They watched very little live programming. The rewatching DVD's and DVR's shows were the dominant source of their TV diet. That was when they were younger. Now my neices are in the target range of MLP. Streaming and digital rules.

By I digress.

I suspect kids outnumber adults. Neither group should ever be marginalized though ... without one or the other FiM would have not succeeded like it has.

• Brohoof 2

There really is no way to know for sure :P I know that bronies may enjoy it more than little girls because they can appreciate every aspect of it more :)

I don't know of any little girls that watch the show but I am sure they are out there. But it feels like there are more of us than there are then.

• Brohoof 1

I don't know of any little girls that watch the show but I am sure they are out there. But it feels like there are more of us than there are then.

hmmm prolly beacuse kids dont go online or to forums and discuss about ponies?

• 4 months later...

I've heard that the fanbase is 80% male (no official stats, just estimates I've seen). If that's true, then more teens and adults watch it then little girls. I mean, the only reason it's popular at all is because of the huge fandom it attracted.