Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Have Lyra and Bonbon become a couple?

RiverArt

Hello everypony! So, in the recent amazing episode slice of life i noticed Lyra and Bonbon acting pretty (in my opinion) you-know, lovey-dovey. 

This is probably just me, but did you see the way Bonbon (i think) said best friend. It was the way ponies say stuff when they are either being silly, sarcastic, or in love.

Not to mention the scene in Equestria girls: rainbow rocks where they are shown playing the piano together pushing their cheeks together. The only time I've ever do ponies/people do that in the show is when they are a couple.

I mean, most likely they're never gonna come out as openly lesbian due to the number of annoyed parents, but it would be a lovely fan topic i think.

Thank you for reading! :icwudt:

• Brohoof 9

(edited)

My guess is that for now, they're best friends. But they're actually in love with each other, but they haven't said it to each other yet.

Edited by Blobulle
  • Brohoof 6

They said they're best friends though it looks as though it was written in such a way that you could interpret it in any way you'd like.

Vinyl and Octavia, I don't think they're a couple. Based on their behaviors (and how the home is divided up) I'd say they're just roommates. There was actually an interesting theory that they are siblings. (I kind of doubt it though).

• Brohoof 3

Well, looks like I'm wrong about how you could interpret it either way then! Looks like that ship is sunk.

• Brohoof 2

I do have a feeling that the writers were alluding this since it has been a thing in the fandom for a while for some people. Whether or not they actually were is up for debate, but they make such a cute couple regardless. <3

• Brohoof 3

Not to mention the scene in Equestria girls: rainbow rocks where they are shown playing the piano together pushing their cheeks together. The only time I've ever do ponies/people do that in the show is when they are a couple.

Gonna have to correct you on this one, the Mane Six have nuzzled each other like this all the time. And while I would love for all of them to be lesbians (RARISHY) they're definitely not forming couples in romantic terms in the show proper.

• Brohoof 3

Well you know what they say, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck.....

They certainly do give off a perception from even an unbiased observer of being more than just friends.

(edited)

Well one could say, they have the eyes for the ball  :twi:

medium.gif

Would be so nice if they made a MLP episode where Lyra and Bonbon got married ^^

Edited by Finia
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

So now that Big Jim has sunk the LyraBonBon ship

sig-3919480.titanic-sinking-underwater.j

I really have to ask, DANG IT LARSON AND JIM! Did you have to shiptease the fans to that extent!? That was overkill! XD

Edited by The Coffee Pony
  • Brohoof 1

It pisses me off the more I see this sort of question.

No. They are not dating. They were simply shown as very close friends.

That's as close as you're going to get to the being a couple because I doubt MLP will explore same sex dating/marriage.

• Brohoof 3

Good friends in show,  more than friends my shipping fans.   It still makes for good watching and good reading on the side in fanfics!

From what I can tell, the writers/animators are making it pretttty obvious what's going on, but of COURSE official sources will deny it forever, they HAVE to if they want to stay on air. They also keep dropping stuff like this (party pooped).

LFWPaXQ.png

• Brohoof 3

just a question for people who may know something about this stuff: with same-sex marriage now being completely legal in the US, wouldnt it also be legal to show a gay/ lesbian couple in childrens cartoons?

oh, and i think that it is pretty obvious that they are a couple.

• Brohoof 1

just a question for people who may know something about this stuff: with same-sex marriage now being completely legal in the US, wouldnt it also be legal to show a gay/ lesbian couple in childrens cartoons?

Uh. I'm pretty sure that was never illegal (the cartoon thing, not marriage). America's a free country, you know. O_o

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

You'd think so! They really made it look like they are but unfortunately word of Jim and Larson says otherwise. So, yeah ship sank. (Have more to say on that below)

From what I can tell, the writers/animators are making it pretttty obvious what's going on, but of COURSE official sources will deny it forever, they HAVE to if they want to stay on air. They also keep dropping stuff like this (party pooped).

No, not really. They can get away with it via Word of Gay in which the creators state they're gay but they don't state it in the show.

Hasbro shows aren't immune to it. During Transformers Prime's run the creators stated the Decepticon, Knock-Out, was gay. Unfortunately they handled in an unintentionally offensive and tasteless fashion!

There was even a webcomic that tackled it.

tumblr_lmk3ueoHl31qbmslxo1_500.png

Now they could have easily confirmed the LyraBonbon ship as Canon, there would have been no consequences if they had done so. Unfortunately for shippers, both Big Jim and Larson sank that ship and confirmed that they're best friends and no more than that.

So really what we got in Equestria Girls Rainbow Rocks and Slice of Life was a really unnecessarily cruel ship tease! I was no supporter of the ship myself but damn! Teasing the fans by REALLY making it look as if the ship is canon to the point where anyone can look at that scene and say "Yeah, they're an obvious couple" only to go and say "HA! Ya fell for it! They're not a couple, they're just best friends! Anyone who says otherwise is wrong!", that was overkill!

Edited by The Coffee Pony
  • Brohoof 2