Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Taking your spouse's name

ThatOneComrade

Since it's typically women who take men's last names, I was wondering how it makes you women on the forms feel about that. Are you okay with taking your husband's name?

Men, what would you think of taking your wife's name rather than she taking yours?

LGBT+, do you just play rock-paper-scissors or...? (I'm joking here, if it isn't obvious)

• Brohoof 4

I rather like the sound of my full name, but I have no particular attachment to my last name. It comes from my Dad's side, but I don't even know where he got it from and I can't trace it back. 

That said, I'd be willing to give up my name quite easily, as long as it would match and sound good with my first name.

• Brohoof 1

ha i'm taking my wife's last name if or when i ever get married because my last name is flores, its my dads last name and i want to be as far away from his linage as possible because he was a terrible father figure. 

I took my husband's last name. My maiden name was among the 25 most common last names in the world, and I never felt particularly attached to it, especially after having a bit of a falling out with a couple of member's on my dad's side. My name is now far more unique. My name also now takes up two lines on my driver's license.  :o

Y'know, I think it would be kinda weird to date somebody for a few years and suddenly be calling them a different name once you get married. Not that it typically happens to men but I would hate to change my name, it's who I am. My wife can choose whatever name she wants and it's not weird at all if she keeps her own.

Haha, me and my wife actually had this discussion for close to 3 months before we got married. I liked the sound of her last name more than my own, but she didn't like how her last name sounded on me. Eventually she decided to take my last name and not hyphenate her last name like her mother suggested. It's a sign of love to take someone's name, not a sign of ownership as some extreme pseudo-feminists will tell you. You can even get married without changing your last name at all. They even give me the option of changing my last name as well. Hell it's the cheapest and fastest way to change your name though. I had my legal name changed twice, so naturally I know how annoying and tedious it is to change it any other way.

My philosophy is both of you are not willing to change your last name to the other's, then you're clearly not in love enough to get married. If your love is not more important than a surname, you're clearly not in the correct relationship.

Edited by Guest

Men, what would you think of taking your wife's name rather than she taking yours?

My family line is a bit attached to the naming convention of first-born sons: the first-born son's given name begins with an 'R'. It's been that way for four generations now. I'd also be perfectly fine with whatever hypothetical future wife I might be joined with in holy matrimony keeping her last name, as long as any son we might have together getting a name that starts with 'R'.

I don't know... Honestly, this isn't a subject I've given much thought to in years, because the thought of marriage just kind of vanished from my mind along with other prospects of any kind of happy, normal future.

I've never been particularly fond of my last name, but the reasons are incredibly petty. If I did somehow end up with a partner, I suppose this subject might come up again. Even still, the one I'm currently so interested in has been upfront about not being fond of the idea of marriage (in general), so if we got together it probably wouldn't ever be something to worry about.

I'm not particularly fond of spending so much time and money on something like marriage in the first place but on the off chance it did happen I wouldn't really care one way or the other. It's just a name. We're not defined by it.

You mean the last name? It is not a custom in Iceland to take ones last name. The name you had before will stick with you for eternity. However, I wouldn't mind taking up my spouse's name <3 <3  :wub:

• Brohoof 2

Well, me and my boyfriend have never discussed this yet, but surely I'd want to change my last name. It's a long German last name I don't like because I am most certainly not like a German.

You'd just end up with a short German last name. It's only 4 letters, but no one will ever know there's an h in it...

As for if I'd change? Men typically don't, but I'd be fine with it. Now, learning to pronounce it properly on the other hand... :D

Honestly, I hate the idea of changing my name. I have a strong attachment to my last name and would not want to change it. And the fact that I have no interest in ever getting married, it just makes my life easier.

• Brohoof 1

Honestly I actually don't like the idea of marriage, I never have. But I will say that I find my last name sound very stupid and I would not force it onto anyone. It's a very typical Dutch name, it's literally everywhere. If I go around the city alone, I can probably find 2000 people with the same last name who aren't even related.  :huh:

• Brohoof 2

Honestly I actually don't like the idea of marriage, I never have. But I will say that I find my last name sound very stupid and I would not force it onto anyone. It's a very typical Dutch name, it's literally everywhere. If I go around the city alone, I can probably find 2000 people with the same last name who aren't even related.  :huh:

(Your avatar is adorable to the extreme, PM me the artist plz. c: )

What about marriage don't you like exactly?

(Your avatar is adorable to the extreme, PM me the artist plz. c: )

What about marriage don't you like exactly?

(Found it on google, can't find the artist, sorry :T)

My parents were divorced when I was 4 years old, my dad married again but he doesn't have the best marriage. So I don't like the idea of getting married. People say, yeah but that's because they didn't love each other anymore and that sorta stuff. Then I say, that is one of my main reasons I don't like the idea. Plus, I don't see why it's necessary. If you love each other, that should be enough. And, very important, I will never ever wear a wedding dress, you will never get me in a dress like that.

• Brohoof 2

Well.. My last name is really long and kind of stupid.. but I don't even mind if it gets changed or not! but that may causes problems in my families since I was adopted so.. I'm going to let my Boyfriend  decide.