Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Taking your spouse's name

ThatOneComrade

I have always known even from childhood I would take my husbands name even though it took forever to finally meet him :P. I will admit, I had some guilt over "abandoning," as it felt, my maiden name because I was going to shuck off the surname my parents gave me and knew me by. It was a very unexpected feeling to have, considering I'd always known I would do it. Of course I love having a new name, I'm still not used to it and it's been two years. It's kind of thrilling to hear someone call me Mrs._____. I don't get addressed by my new name all that much anymore though since I'm out of high school and done with 7 years of college. I only really see it on the mail which is not as exciting as it used to be since it's all bills now haha. I still feel like I'll always be a _____, no matter what, now I just have two legitimate names :).

Edited by Lexamena

• 3 years later...
(edited)

I wouldn't mind taking my boyfriend's last name someday.....:adorkable: My first name sounds pretty good with his last name...not that I've ever thought about it before or anything. :lie:

Edited by Lucky Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

I think it's a very cool institution. I mean, ya can't just hyphenate indefinitely and I wouldn't want to anyway. It's another way to demonstrate devotion and embrace the one I love. Marriage isn't a competition, it's cooperation, and taking my husband's name is a good demonstration of that. It's no longer just his name, it's our name and it's not a silly power struggle over top billing.

My maiden name isn't all that different than my married name, and it sounds good with my first name, so I'm happy with it anyway. 

• Brohoof 1

If I ever get married I would be very happy to take her name. I like the idea of two married people sharing a name but there's no inherent reason that the woman should take the man's name (and vice versa).

Not that it really applies to me, as I doubt I'll be getting married (at least anytime soon)... but if I did, I'd actually prefer both of us to keep our own names. While I understand the reasons for a couple sharing the same surname, at the same time I feel a surname is a part of one's identity, their family history and such. I certainly wouldn't demand my hypothetical spouse to take my surname in any case.

However, I do find the idea of a couple coming up with an all-new surname they will share (instead of one of them taking the other's surname) pretty cool. :D Especially if it's a creative combination of their former names (Villaraigosa being a famous example). :)

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

If I were to marry a guy (whether it be my current boyfriend or any other man) legally speaking, I'd much rather take his name than the other way around. I mean that's generally something a woman does in a straight relationship and I've been more of the woman in my relationships, you could say if you really want to confine it to binary sex roles. Also, my last name is a serious mouthful anyways. There are other reasons, but those are the main two.

Edited by ~Dusky~
  • Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

I honestly don't care that much about my last name. And I think that if I were serious about marrying someone, I don't think I'd mind about taking hers either. All that matters is that we have the same last name, so that people can tell we're together.

Hell, I'd be okay with combining our last names. My cousins have combined last names from their parents, and it sounds really classy. :P

Me and my current partner have opted to just wait on deciding that. The issue is for him to take my last name would put in a lot of complicated paperwork, as the system is designed specifically for the female in marriage to take the male's last night.
Optionally, you can just not change either of your last names, though that provides further complications down the line, should you have children.

I took my husband's last name and happy with it. Like Dreambiscuit said, it's better than hyphenating or otherwise trying to preserve every family name your maternal line has had and it's a lovely show of devotion to him and his family.

I am planning to get married next year. My fiancée and I already had a celtic ceremony 5 years ago but no civil one yet. (same sex marriage finally got equal rights in my country this year!)

We plan to "fuse" our names into a new family name. If it is not possible I will take her name as I hate mine anyway. If both partners are really attached to their names they can still make it a double name as in "Name1-Name2". 

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm married myself and I decided to take my husband's surname. I felt like his suited my first name more.

• 2 weeks later...

I've always been in the camp of 'do whatever you want'. If you're getting married and one person wants to take the name of the other, fine. The only thing I'm against is someone else deciding that you should change your name. If you're going to do it, it should be your own choice. My girlfriend is definitely keeping her name, and if we ever have kids they'll have her name too. On the flipside, I personally wouldn't change my name. I am who I am, and I see absolutely no use in taking someone else's name for any reason.

I don't see myself getting married, but I don't think it would be worth sharing my surname. Why? My surname is fourteen letters long and a tongue twister at that, so it would only cause a great deal of confusion.

• 2 months later...

I don’t like the patriarchal idea of taking the man’s last name. If I were straight, I’d put my foot down. Yes, I have my dad’s last name, but that doesn’t negate how much dirtier it would make me feel to continue the practice. I shudder at the letters I’d get in the mail that would that would say “Mr. and Mrs *His first and last name*”, that’s just dehumanizing.

I’m not straight, but still wanted to give my stance, which I don’t think I did in my first post years ago.

I stIll don’t know what I’d do if marriage came along for me. As far as I’m concerned that’s not even probable right now, so that’s something to put thought into later.

I'd like to just be traditional and take my bf's last name, also because I'm tired of people pronouncing my last name wrong and giving me funny looks when they see that my last name is a f***ing country lol 

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Lucky Bolt said:

I'd like to just be traditional and take my bf's last name, also because I'm tired of people pronouncing my last name wrong and giving me funny looks when they see that my last name is a f***ing country lol 

Your last name is country? The Democatric Republic of the Congo is a strange last name.

4 minutes ago, Metal Brony 42 said:

Your last name is country? The Democatric Republic of the Congo is a strange last name.

My last name is literally the name of country lol