Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Taking your spouse's name

ThatOneComrade

• 1 month later...

If I ever get married (a man can dream right lmfao) I don't really care if she takes my name or I her's. Family, including marriage, is so much more than a name. Names really aren't that important.

• Brohoof 4

Sorry future hubby (if you exist), but my last name stays. My father was a lot of things, and although I wasn't particularly close to him, his name is legitimately ALL I have left of him to remember him by. I'm not kidding. >.>

Plus, I like my last name. And while I think it's a sexist tradition for the woman to take the man's name, it is a tradition nevertheless, and I would be more than happy to share the same name with someone I dearly love. So that means I'll have two last names, simple as that. :)

Already have two middle names. Might as well make my name even longer. xD

• Brohoof 1

The only reason other than tradition that I can see a use for a spouse to take the husband's name is for the sake of their future children. It'd be simpler if everyone had the same name, whereas if both parents had different last names, it might be slightly confusing to some.

But eh, I don't really have any concern over that. In the situation, I'd just give my child both mine and the spouse's last name, combined. I don't like my last name either, so I'd leave it solely up to the spouse to choose what to do in regards to last names.

• Brohoof 1

I love my last name, I have a pretty strong attachment to it. I don't mind use combining our last names, but I dunno if I wanna take on my future husband's last name. Unless it's like, way cooler than mine.

I would be annoyed if I was expected to change my name because I wouldn't feel like I had a choice in the matter.

However, I will be taking my boyfriend's last name. I dunno, I like it, first of all. I also just... want to share that with him. I guess, to me, it's connecting us just a little bit more. He's expressed constantly that I don't have to (He hates his last name and also always gives me a choice) but... I will. :P So, yeah. Gimmie a choice, at least.

• Brohoof 1

I'm a guy, and I have no particular attachment to my last name. That being said: I don't want to forcefully impose my name, but I do want to share my name with the one-day love of my life. Of course, if they're against that, then I can't. But I only want to because it's a cultural thing, and a very loving thing for me. And it's almost like another vow to make toward my significant other. I'm a white, born and raised American young guy who has spent the majority of his life in the southeast United States. It's commonplace that the woman take the man's last name here, but it's not some big social dilemma or anything. No couple here ever seems to raise some aimless fuss about this specific issue. Even though marriages (especially first marriages) don't always last here, I'd say that while these people are together, they actually have a pretty decent grasp on this issue. As in, there is never some resistance against this aspect of the culture. On the note of how some people stand with the idea that they'd never change their last name, I think you'll find later in life that that is something a lot more trivial than you realize right now.

I will add also: I think both social feminism and social masculinity are ridiculous and oppressive. I believe you should dress, and behave, and shag who you please as long as you are not harming or actually oppressing someone else. It doesn't make you more or less of a person. Having said that, there's a certain aspect of feminism and masculinity that applies to this "taking a last name" business. I can very matter-of-factly say that the practice of taking the last name of your spouse is not some aim or means of taking away from who you are, or what your name means, no matter what gender you identify as, or physical sex that you are.

Not quite sure where else I was going with all this, but I'd say I've made a decent case and I hope this offers some insight for some of you.

I don't really care about my name. I mean, if she really wanted me to change my last name then I would, it's no big deal. But if she insisted that she wanted to change her name, I wouldn't stop her

I basically couldn't care less. As long as she's happy, I'm happy :wub:

My parents didn’t take either: they legally changed it by deed poll.

I’d hope a future wife if I ever marry takes my last name, I’m old fashioned that way.

As for taking her last name, mines unusual so it’s staying. 

I hate traditions, and gender roles, and anything like that, and this is no exception.  There shouldn't be any expectations on who should take what name, if any.  It should just be something that is discussed and agreed upon.  As a guy, I'd be happy to change my name.  In fact, I hate my name.  All of it.  I tried to change it, but gave up because of how difficult and expensive it is.  I think it's a bit easier if you get married.  I don't think they require 30 different background checks and hundreds of dollars.  I don't think so, anyway.  But if I ever get married, which I really hope I do, I'll probably take her name, because it's gotta be better than mine.

Well, my last name is (like most people's) from my dad's side, and I literally hate his father. I do not want to be associated with him at all. Whether I end up marrying a man or a woman, I intend to take their name.

Though, I guess if they're really against it, I wont.

I don't think it should be expected of anyone though. It should be a mutual decision.

• 3 weeks later...

As a guy, I don't mind the idea of taking my wife's name, but me and my siblings are the only ones with the family name unless you go back 5 or 6 generations.

It's cliche, but I'd like the idea of the family name surviving in our line. Unless one of my siblings gets married before I do, I will likely keep my name or hyphenate, though I will need to (of course) discuss this with my future spouse.

Also:

(Your avatar is adorable to the extreme, PM me the artist plz. c: )

It's by RaidenGekkou on Deviantart as far as I can tell.

Edited by Spirit Lantern
  • Brohoof 1

Hey, I'm a male here buuuuut.. how about an unconventional answer?

I got my father's last name and I always hated it, always wanted to change it. I've been with my girlfriend for a while now, and I think I'm ready to propose. And if she says yes, I'll take her last name.

Here in Uruguay you dont change your last name at geting married, i mean, is kinda weird for us.

Kids just have both parents last names. Usually the father first and mother second.

My name sure sound kinda large for some poeple since I have two first names and two second names lol.

I still use my mothers last name most. My father ones sound strange and im not so attached to it.

Edited by Sochy
  • Brohoof 1

Asians traditionally don't (as far as I know), but the children take on the fathers name. I personally wouldn't mind - if it makes my partner feel comfortable, and my parents are okay with it, why not? However, I like my name - it feels like a part of me, so I'm not sure if I would so easily let it go.

I'd prefer to keep my own surname. I read an article in a paper that says my surname is one those that is dying out here in the UK. xd

Ofc if my partner has a cooler surname, i'd be willing to bump mine up as a middle name. :)

(i also like how my fullname translates. it matches my spirit and OC well XD)

Edited by Malinter

Wouldn't really care i mean it's possible to marry with out changing either names right? I like the sound of my full name I've had 19 years to grow used to how stupid it sounds and it sounds weird if you put another last name in place of my real one.

I wouldn't want to change my name but i wouldn't ask my partner to take mine instead.

My wife has my last name after her middle names, and her original last name last. We just thought it was more practical that way, so she wouldn't have to change her signature. The kids have the same but the other way around, her last name just before mine

• 5 weeks later...

As a male, I honestly don't care who takes who's name. It's just another one of those historical protocols, which at the time made sense, turned into a tradition. The way I think it should be done is that the deeds of the families get pitted against one another. The title of the most honourable and distinguished family shall be passed down upon the descendant, then it is up to the new family to carry forth the family name and to defend its honour so that it may continue to get passed down for many future generations.

But to reiterate, I really don't care who takes who's name. Just don't say "no, because feminism/religion/politics" and I'll be more than happy to oblige.