Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Has anyone forgiven Diamond Tiara outright?

Wardaddy

Personally, even though we've seen first-hoof why DT was such a sadistic and rotten brat, I don't think I can forgive her. After all, we can never forget that moment when she belittled Scootaloo for her inability to fly. That is equal to a bully mocking a person in a wheelchair for their inability to walk, which is downright cruel and unusual. I do feel sorry for DT, being that her mother (whom I sorely hope gets her comeuppance in a future episode) forced her to be the way she was, but she had the chance to stand up to Spoiled Rich long before she was introduced to the show proper.

Your thoughts?

It's not exactly easy to stand up to your parents. You know that Spoiled Rich easily could have punished Diamond after the episode, grounded her, took away her things, etc... Even if Diamond wanted to do the right thing for a while, the fear of what her parents might do probably scared her.

I don't outright entirely forgive her. But I don't hate her or hold a major grudge against her. And she can make up and atone for all the wrong she did, she's already off to a pretty great start.

• Brohoof 7

While DT may have a lot to make up for, I have to agree with the poster above that she's on her way to do it. After all, Sunset Shimmer was forgiven, why shouldn't DT?

so many redemption plots

• Brohoof 1

No, but I don't hate her anymore, so that's a start. I do hope that it becomes a thing where they have an episode where she tries to make up for all the bad things she's done(probably to the point where it's disturbing for comedic effect), but the CMC forgive her regardless

She's a kid, and comparing pony ages to human I would guess that DT and the CMC's are around or under 10. An adult who's been brought up badly would not be beyond redemption if they were to behave this way, but would be harder to forgive as despite your parents, when you're all growed up you should know better and be able to decide for yourself. However holding a grudge against a young kid who's basically just following the example of the one resposible for raising her, is not quite so justified

So yes

• Brohoof 1

Yup! To me it seems clear that she experienced a major and life-changing turnaround in her worldview. She is no longer the same little filly who bullied the other kids, but instead she is a new pony with a new outlook and a new heart full of kindness. She certainly ain't perfect, and I'm sure she's got a ways to go in learning how to really live that way, but she has put her old self behind her, so I have no problem forgiving her.

• Brohoof 1

I don't know about others, but I felt that Diamond Tiara's realization of her wrongdoing should have had more progression because it felt rushed to me in the episode. After episode, my feelings towards Diamond Tiara is left uncertain. But unlike many others who seem to have forgiven her easily, I still have sense of bitterness towards her; after all, she kept behaving in same way for about five years. Her lowest point was insulting Scootaloo for her lacking ability to fly. I understand that she's much influenced by her parents, but that was terrible.

Perhaps for now, I'll have to see how she's changes as a character from now onward.

Edited by Luna the Great
  • Brohoof 1

I never had the hatred towards DT that others had because of one thing: she's a kid.

That doesn't make that bad things she's done any better, but children are children. You see a nasty, rotten brat? Well guess what, they didn't just wake up one day and decide, yeah I'm going to be an ass. Their parents are the ones responsible.

And unfortunately for the poor rotten brats in question, unless SOMEONE gives them a reality check, their lives will just spiral miserably. If their parents or other authority figures don't lay down the law, then the only hope they have is for their own self-evaluation to kick in after the world dumps on them.

But the chances of that are poor, because NO human (or pony in this case) likes to criticize themselves.

And chances are even poorer that they'll act on that self-criticism and be able to turn their lives around.

Luckily for Diamond, this happened to her sooner rather than later.

She's like, "I've done everything I was ever told to do or allowed to do... but now I'm completely miserable. I don't want to be completely miserable, so I've got to act differently." That's an impressive realization for a child to come to.

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 3

I have never really hated Diamond Tiara even with all the bad stuff she has done, with everything she had done though it will be difficult for her to gain acceptance and forgiveness from some of her victims. There could be a good episode in one of her victims finally being able to forgive her and move on and there is a possibility of Diamond Tiara having latent guilt that may take time to work out like Sunset Shimmer had.

• Brohoof 1

I haven't either. Her reformation was just too rushed and had too much before to be believable for one, not once in any episode before the crusaders of the lost mark was Diamond Tiara or Silver Spoon shown as anything other then spoiled and snobbish bullies, having a parent who pushes her to be the best does not excuse a lot of her behaviour like her teasing of Scootaloo you mentioned. Looking at another bully character similar to her from another show, Pacifica from Gravity Falls, it showed that both her parents pushed her into acting like she was above everyone and it was even hinted that they physiologically tortured her into obeying them, she was also given more than one episode showing that she wasn't who we thought her to be in her first appearance, etc. I'd go into more but this is an mlp forum. Bottom line, I still don't like Diamond Tiara.

having a parent who pushes her to be the best does not excuse a lot of her behaviour like her teasing of Scootaloo you mentioned

Why does everyone keep saying Spoiled Rich is only "pushing her to be the best"?

The lady obviously has some issues. She's a 30-something year old lady using terms like "blank flank" to refer to young children. That's like a 30 something year old human woman calling a preteen a "washboard" for not having developed breasts. She seems to be totally cool with using names and mocking those that are not just like her. And passing this judgmental attitude to her kid seems to be a goal of hers.

• Brohoof 3

Why does everyone keep saying Spoiled Rich is only "pushing her to be the best"?

Well, it doesn't actually say it in the episode it's implied. Spoiled rich isn't happy when Diamond Tiara loses and she believes herself and her family to be better than others because of social standing and how rich they are and that Diamond Tiara has to move up the 'social ladder' to put it one way, she even calls the other children at the school insignificant lowlifes.

Well, it doesn't actually say it in the episode it's implied. Spoiled rich isn't happy when Diamond Tiara loses and she believes herself and her family to be better than others because of social standing and how rich they are and that Diamond Tiara has to move up the 'social ladder' to put it one way, she even calls the other children at the school insignificant lowlifes.

Yeah. And your previous comment implies that you think this is okay.

Or you think that Diamond Tiara is still unforgivable despite having THAT as an authority figure in her life.

Maybe that's not what you meant, but that's how it came off.

Yeah. And your previous comment implies that you think this is okay.

Or you think that Diamond Tiara is still unforgivable despite having THAT as an authority figure in her life.

Maybe that's not what you meant, but that's how it came off.

I'm not trying to say that having Spoiled Rich so heavily affecting her life doesn't excuse Diamond Tiara's actions, I'm just saying that it doesn't completely excuse her actions. This episode just rubbed me slightly the wrong way with how Diamond Tiara's reformation was handled, it was like the writers realised that they needed to reform the character so they plucked the same plot from Gravity Falls with Pacifica and rewrote it to fit MLP, the writers just gave her a sympathetic backstory and suddenly Diamond Tiara was forgiven despite how much of her actions were her own doing and how badly she had treated others up to that point; all of that suddenly blamed on Spoiled Rich's bad parenting.

• Brohoof 1

I'm not trying to say that having Spoiled Rich so heavily affecting her life doesn't excuse Diamond Tiara's actions, I'm just saying that it doesn't completely excuse her actions. This episode just rubbed me slightly the wrong way with how Diamond Tiara's reformation was handled, it was like the writers realised that they needed to reform the character so they plucked the same plot from Gravity Falls with Pacifica and rewrote it to fit MLP, the writers just gave her a sympathetic backstory and suddenly Diamond Tiara was forgiven despite how much of her actions were her own doing and how badly she had treated others up to that point; all of that suddenly blamed on Spoiled Rich's bad parenting.

Fair enough. But I try not to hold kids completely responsible for everything they do or hang it over them for the rest of their lives. I did some dumb crap as a kid and so has everyone else in the world. Because we were kids and didn't know better. And if they have authority figures showing them that this behavior is acceptable, you be your rear they're going to copy it.

Fair enough. But I try not to hold kids completely responsible for everything they do or hang it over them for the rest of their lives. I did some dumb crap as a kid and so has everyone else in the world. Because we were kids and didn't know better. And if they have authority figures showing them that this behavior is acceptable, you be your rear they're going to copy it.

I know, but I still wish they handled it better, showing that Diamond Tiara wasn't completely forgiven but was on her way. Completely forgiving a bully for such bad actions could lead to a relapse of old behaviours because they didn't fully understand the wrongness of those bad actions, I've seen it happen in real life first hand (someone getting bullied then becoming friends with the bully only to get bullied again). The episode could have had Filthy Rich come in and see for the first time how bad his daughter was treating others because of what his wife put into her head or something like that, Filthy Rich has been shown to be a good stallion despite how rich he is so if he had been involved Diamond Tiara's reformation would have been more believable because it's her own father teaching her wrong she's been behaving.

I know, but I still wish they handled it better, showing that Diamond Tiara wasn't completely forgiven but was on her way. Completely forgiving a bully for such bad actions could lead to a relapse of old behaviours because they didn't fully understand the wrongness of those bad actions, I've seen it happen in real life first hand (someone getting bullied then becoming friends with the bully only to get bullied again). The episode could have had Filthy Rich come in and see for the first time how bad his daughter was treating others because of what his wife put into her head or something like that, Filthy Rich has been shown to be a good stallion despite how rich he is so if he had been involved Diamond Tiara's reformation would have been more believable because it's her own father teaching her wrong she's been behaving.

Agreed. Taking it slower would have been nice.

But that's a bad habit MLP has with ALL it's reforming. Heck DT's is more believable with her being just a little kid and not, say, an immortal spirit of chaos and turmoil who's had centuries of acting like a jerk and no concepts of the importance of social interaction at ALL.

But that's a problem with the writers, not the characters themselves.

I believe they ARE reformed, but it should have been presented better.

Agreed. Taking it slower would have been nice.

But that's a bad habit MLP has with ALL it's reforming. Heck DT's is more believable with her being just a little kid and not, say, an immortal spirit of chaos and turmoil who's had centuries of acting like a jerk and no concepts of the importance of social interaction at ALL.

But that's a problem with the writers, not the characters themselves.

I believe they ARE reformed, but it should have been presented better.

Yeah, reformation I an overall problem in MLP but I can't help but feel that it's more harmful in this case, there's a big difference between a bully and an chaos spirit after all. The situation with Diamond Tiara is more relatable to the target demographic for this show because every child has had to experience being bullied in some form or another at some point in their life, some obviously more than others. Telling children that they should forgive and get along with their bullies because they have a bad upbringing could possibly be a harmful message because the bully might take advantage of their forgiving nature to cause more harm. Going back to what I said before out witnessing first hand a bullying issue, a girl would insult and push around another girl one day and then they'd make up and be friends the next day only for the first girl to go back to being a bully not long after, and this kept on happening for a few years because the second girl was the kind and forgiving type, and the teachers did little to stop it beyond telling the second girl to ignore the first. I'm not saying that Diamond Tiara's one episode reformation will lead to situations like that but it certainly won't help anyone already in the same situation.

Sorry, I'm venting my frustrations, so I'm most likely coming off as unfair.

Yup. She was a clueless kid, rolling with the life she was dealt. Now she's reached the point of mental/emotional maturity to see other possibilities and choose her own path, and she's chosen a good one. Giving her a true second chance and not making her suffer for her past sins feels like the best way forward.

But she does probably need help learning social skills and empathy, because she doesn't have any experience being nice and will probably hurt somepony's feelings by accident at some point otherwise.

• Brohoof 1

I don't forgive her completely. I respect her for getting started to make up for all the wrong she has done, but I want to see more of that. I want to see her deal with these issues up front and overcome her own problems. That would make me really like Diamond more as a character and I would forgive her even further at that point. Win-win for her.

Not entirely. We go 4 and a half seasons of her being a complete and utter BRAT, seemingly despised by the majority of the fandom (nearly as much as everyone seems to hate Angel Bunny). One 22 minute episode ain't gonna change jack. But, it's a start. Baby steps, everypony, baby steps.

The episode did shed some light on her family and cleared some things up. I don't hate her but my sympathy is stretched pretty thin at this point. The best thing? The fact that DT had a hand, er... hoof in getting the CMC THEIR CUTIE MARKS! FINALLY! 

Diamond Tiara nearly pushed away Silver Spoon, her one and only friend. It forced her to look deep within herself at the hardness in her heart. She found she wanted more out of life, and brought about her own redemption. I wept for joy when she stood up to her mother and "Became the pony she wanted to be". I forgive her everything, just as the CMC and the other school colts and fillies have.

Anyone ever watch "Little House on the Prairie"? Nellie Olson had a similar reclamation when she met her beloved Percy. 

• Brohoof 3

I don't know, I mean...her personality kinda switched from being mean to being friends with the CMC in just 1 whole episode, I'm STILL trying to even process that in my mind.

I thnk she's up to something