Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What characters would you want to see developed further?

green

With season 5 almost over and with many characters getting some good development Im wondering if they'll continue with this through season 6. If they do, what characters would you want to see developed further? Personally, I think Celestia is long overdue development, and Id like Daring Do to get a chance. What do you think?

• Brohoof 1

Cadence, Shining Armor, Trixie, and the Mayor.

All of these ponies potentially can have their own episode and develop more... I mean really develop. But odds are, we won't get that since they are only plot devices and background ponies.

Celestia is somewhat on my list. I agree she is the Princess, aside from Cadence, that has been least developed out of all four with Twilight being the first and Luna being the second. But even Celestia has received more development than Cadence from a few important scenes we see from her. We see her "normal relationship" she has with Luna in Slice of Life....that scene was there for a reason to shed light that Celestial isn't as motherly and godly as they portrayed her in the beginning. We also get a scene where she is forced to fight Luna and tears up before banishing her....indicating her love for her sister despite her being too dense to notice Luna's depression in the first place. Other than that, we got nothing...but at least we still received something nonetheless

• Brohoof 1

In Equestria: Pretty much all the princess characters (aside from Twilight Sparkle), as well as Lyra, Minutette, Moondancer and some of the other background/supporting cast

In the human world: Lemon Zest, Sugar Coat, Indigo Zap, Sour Sweet, basically all the Shadowbolts. (Again, aside from Sci-Twi, though the development of the listed characters could also help with developing Sci-Twi, I'm so curious to find out if anything ever happened between Twi and Sour Sweet. Were they ever friends at some point? Did Twilight do something wrong? Did Sour do something wrong? #IWantToKnow)

Edited by shoyrumaster11
  • Brohoof 2

I echo everyone saying Celestia, she's been inexcusably overdue for some episodes and development

EDIT: Derp, forgot Cheerilee. I want more of her too

Edited by ChicksDigGiantRobots
  • Brohoof 1

Zecora, Cheerilee, Mayor Mare, Mr. and Mrs. Cake.  Pretty much any of the supporting cast from Seasons 1 and 2 that have fallen to the wayside in Season 5.  

Also Steven Magnet and Cranky Donkey. Seriously give me a spinoff mini-series of those two! 

Celestia is in dire need of some attention.  A whole episode needs to be devoted to her, even if it's just a "day in the life" sort of scenario.  At this point, even something as simple as that would add to the little of the character development she's been given thus far.

• Brohoof 1

In order to right the ship on where his character has been going lately, Spike really needs an episode where he becomes conscious about his role. Between him, the Mane 6, and the Crusaders, he's the only one whose future hasn't really been discussed while all of his friends seem to be going on to great achievements. He sits in the background while everyone around him changes the world, and sometimes the attitude he takes from others in his work is ungrateful at the least ("Twilight Time") and downright disgusting at worst ("Princess Spike"). On top of this, it really says something about the show when the writers have admitted to using him for comic relief on the pure fact that he "doesn't [seem to] belong", which really seems to go against what the whole purpose of this show is about (aside from just selling toys). For the love of Celestia, let Spike do something without having to kick him back down to sidekick/Scrappy status. "Dragon Quest" almost did it.

In addition, there's the big question about whether Scootaloo will ever fly, and while they managed to develop so much about her interpersonal relationships despite having no depicted family, they can do the same here with her abilities. They don't necessarily have to answer the question about whether or not she will ever fly. However, the one variable is that they never showed her special talent having any practical application in the world of Equestria. They can have an excellent episode developing not only Scootaloo's character, but coming to self-acceptance, dealing with uncertain dreams and adversity, and showing us another side of Equestria as well. I made a blog about it.

I see a commonality between the two in that both of them are underdog characters that have had to deal with a significant amount more adversity in achieving their goals, contrasting with the rest of the main characters. The Mane 6 have, by Season 5, already achieved most of their goals and reached a position of satisfaction in their lives. Scootaloo's different abilities and Spike being an entirely different species put significant barriers in the way of them achieving or even setting goals for their lives, and the fact that Scootaloo's development came so late in the series and Spike's character development has been mostly avoided or done piecemeal really seems to sidestep the number one most important of Pixar's 22 rules of story development and the main reason why people gravitate towards underdog characters so much:

#1: You admire a character for trying more than their successes.

If this show truly wants to put itself in a place to deliver messages of self-image, personal improvement, confidence, and leadership, it has to challenge itself by putting its less-fortunate and less-successful characters in situations that would challenge that. For the Mane 6, this is old hat. They're Equestria's designated heroes, and although they still have some to learn, they seem to know as much as they should to live productive lives. Now I'd like to see the spotlight turn to those who don't have it so clear and set-out, or I'd hesitate to say; easy.

• Brohoof 1

I think Zecora and Daring Do would be cool. DD is an obvious copy of Indiana Jones, which gives her some cool points automatically, but she could be even cooler if they developed her to make her more than an Indy copy.

• Brohoof 2

I think Zecora and Daring Do would be cool. DD is an obvious copy of Indiana Jones, which gives her some cool points automatically, but she could be even cooler if they developed her to make her more than an Indy copy.

They could accomplish both of these goals by having the two of them co-star in an episode together.  Something like Daring Do is exploring an old ruin in the Everfree Forest and she hires Zecora to be her guide.  Untold treasure, booby traps, rhyming zebra.  How could this possibly not be the most epic MLP adventure to date?

Edited by J. Brony
  • Brohoof 1

They could accomplish both of these goals by having the two of them co-star in an episode together.  Something like Daring Do is exploring an old ruin in the Everfree Forest and she hires Zecora to be her guide.  Untold treasure, booby traps, rhyming zebra.  How could this possibly not be the most epic MLP adventure to date?

That would be awesome. ARE YOU LISTENING HASBRO? THIS IS A GOOD IDEA! 

I don't think they are listening...

• Brohoof 3

In light of a recent discussion, I'm going to add Flash Sentry to this list.

We know that he has an Equestrian counterpart who is a member of the Royal Guard in the Crystal Empire.  I think it'd go a long way into developing the character of his EQG counterpart to give him something relevant to do.  Maybe have him serve as a bodyguard to Twilight or Cadance and do something useful to aid in whatever they're trying to accomplish in the episode.  

Just keep the Flashlight ship safely moored in the harbor and all will be well. 

Silver Spoon.

I really want to see what she does in her life besides hanging out with Diamond Tiara. It would be great if the CMC helped her figure out what her cutie mark means just like they did with Diamond.

• Brohoof 2