Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who is the most powerful character?

Drunkfrank

This topic came to me earlier, and I have been thinking about it ever sense, who is the most powerful being in all of the mlpverse, this includes the main series, and Equestria Girls, the obvious answer for most would be Discord, but I do think there are a few who could at least challenge him, so I will develop a top 5:

1.) Discord...OBVIOUSLY, He without any struggle opened a tear in space and time, opening a portal to an entirely new dimension, he can also teleport to some land between dimensions where he lives. You could say Tirek "defeated" him, but I mean, he clearly didn't even try to fight.

2.) Celestia/Luna- There are two pairings on this list because they both seem to be neck and neck in terms of power.  I know we haven't seem them do much and we generally make jokes that they are weak, but I do feel Celestia and Luna are second only to Discord.

3.) Midnight Sparkle/ Allicorn super omega Sunset- This one may have some scratching heads, but Midnight was able to shatter the world in her little bitchfit for magic, Sunset needed the portal, Twilight, was simply strong enough to not need it, and Sunset was an equal match for her in the film.

4.) Starswirl the bearded- We haven't seen him at all, but he did know advanced time travel and knew who Twilight was seemingly, he was also the only Unicorn who could ALMOST lower the sun/moon.

5.) King Sombra- The most powerful dark magic caster known in Equestria from what we have seen, to wise and cunning for even the smartest unicorns like Twilight to outwit him.

You may be wondering where the likes of Twilight or Perfect Cel...I mean Tirek are on this list. Well, Twilight hasn't even tapped into her true potential yet and Tirek was using borrowed/stolen power, that wasn't his magic or energy, it was the energy he stole from others, so I disqualified him, had I not, he would be two.

• Brohoof 6

Honestly I think Starlight glimmer is the most power. I mean, she can manipulate/brainwash other ponies into doing what she wants. She can change and alter spells to what she deems to be perfect for the situation. At any given moment she could change the course of time and send the ponies into a different reality that is beyond what is considered normal. And now that I think about it, she is apart of the friendship that keeps all of the land of equestria in check. That is just pure power right there.

• Brohoof 4

Nightmare Moon should also have an honourable mention as we're not quite sure quite how strong she is. Definately more powerful than Celestia in a one on one it would seem.

I kinda think she is on par with Celestia, as in the one time they fight, Celestia doesn't really try to fight, just avoid, possibly to get to the elements, because didn't want to fight her "I WILL NOT FIGHT YOU"

We also can tell from the Cutie Remark, that she beat NMM in the first two timelines.

Honestly I think Starlight glimmer is the most power. I mean, she can manipulate/brainwash other ponies into doing what she wants. She can change and alter spells to what she deems to be perfect for the situation. At any given moment she could change the course of time and send the ponies into a different reality that is beyond what is considered normal. And now that I think about it, she is apart of the friendship that keeps all of the land of equestria in check. That is just pure power right there.

It was Starswirls spell, Starlight just altered it, She seems to be on par with Twilight.

• Brohoof 1

I have a feeling that Twilight Sparkle has a lot of untapped potential and we have yet to see what she's really capable of.

• Brohoof 3

I have a feeling that Twilight Sparkle has a lot of untapped potential and we have yet to see what she's really capable of.

This. As I mentioned in a thread that inquired she's weak after that battle with Starlight, I stood firm with believing she simply hasn't tapped into her raw power. I have a theory it's locked somehow.....I wouldn't be surprise if Celestia is behind it. Remember, Twilight's power went haywire with raw power when she was just a unicorn filly..... it attracted Celestia in the first place where she decided to keep Twilight close and train her (SUSPICIOUS BACKGROUND MUSIC) Yet throughout the seasons Twilight seems like an average pony trying to get stronger at magic? Yeah Twi might be the most powerful.......but has a magic block of some sort.

Sombra is the most powerful when it comes to dark magic I suppose.

• Brohoof 1

Is it cheating to say that the Mane 6 combined with the Elements of Harmony are the most powerful force in the Equestrian universe?

Also, I think if push came to shove, Twilight would have learned the ability to fly ala Starlight if she needed too. She hasn't tried a unicorn flying trick for years because she's an Alicorn now. So I would say she's the most powerful of regular ponies. Does she have a greater ability than demigods Luna & Celestia? Time will tell, but maybe it is fate for Celestia to hand the reigns (har har) down to Twilight Sparkle one day.

Honorable mention goes to Rarity, cause she's my faves. :proud:

TL;DR:  Twilight Sparkle

If you're going to exclude Twilight and Tirek for using non-natural power, then that should apply to Midnight as well, given how she only got that way after (accidentally) absorbing the portal's and the HuMane 6's magic.

Also, Sombra's just a little bit under Discord, IMO -- how many Unicorns do you see warranting multiple Alicorns just to be delayed, making whole kingdoms vanish in spite of said delays, negating everypony else's magic, creating pocket dimensions of stairs and traps, etc.?

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 1

This. As I mentioned in a thread that inquired she's weak after that battle with Starlight, I stood firm with believing she simply hasn't tapped into her raw power. I have a theory it's locked somehow.....I wouldn't be surprise if Celestia is behind it. Remember, Twilight's power went haywire with raw power when she was just a unicorn filly..... it attracted Celestia in the first place where she decided to keep Twilight close and train her (SUSPICIOUS BACKGROUND MUSIC) Yet throughout the seasons Twilight seems like an average pony trying to get stronger at magic? Yeah Twi might be the most powerful.......but has a magic block of some sort.

Sombra is the most powerful when it comes to dark magic I suppose.

I am well aware Twilight has the potential to be the most powerful pony or creature in existence, but the problem is, I wasn't going off potential, I was going off what we have seen sense as of season 5.

I really hate the notion that Twilight is an all-powerful goddess just waiting to be born. She still doesn't use magic responsibly enough for me to think that Equestria as a whole would not be utterly doomed if she tapped into this so-called "potential." 

In any case, I really don't think anyone compares to Discord.....

Well, except maybe Pinkie... :wacko:

• Brohoof 3

I am well aware Twilight has the potential to be the most powerful pony or creature in existence, but the problem is, I wasn't going off potential, I was going off what we have seen sense as of season 5.

Than it'll be better to specify that in your first post unless I overlooked it. If I did, apologies.

But sense you're not going by potential, then I'd say Sombra still over all. He is nearly the embodiment of raw dark power that not even Celestial can defeat despite me thinking it's all crap.

I never really favored questions like this because it's hard to answer based off what Hasbros gives us. Starlight's "power" is ridiculous as well as how weak they make Celestial and Luna as if they are simply powerful unicorns instead of powerful alicorns.

Discord is another story. I don't consider him the "most powerful" but the type of magic he possesses is rather tricky and nearly impossible to defeat because he's such a slippery character with magic that can alter any powerful spell to some cheap magic act. Its only when you can trick him or slow him to bathe in his own ego that his magic is rendered weak? I would even consider his magic abilities rare and belonging only to him. Of any other pony tried to tap into his power, I can only imagine them being mindf*cked to insanity. So with Discord it's not HOW powerful he is...but more so the type of power he possesses. Whereas the other possess either "good" magic or "dark magic" so it's slightly easier to compare.

• Brohoof 1

I'd have to say that Starlight is pretty powerful. As a unicorn though, I believe her potential for power is smaller than the alicorns, yet Starlight's skills in the magic she has actually puts her almost at par with the princesses. I think she may be about as powerful as Starswirl.

Than it'll be better to specify that in your first post unless I overlooked it. If I did, apologies.

But sense you're not going by potential, then I'd say Sombra still over all. He is nearly the embodiment of raw dark power that not even Celestial can defeat despite me thinking it's all crap.

I never really favored questions like this because it's hard to answer based off what Hasbros gives us. Starlight's "power" is ridiculous as well as how weak they make Celestial and Luna as if they are simply powerful unicorns instead of powerful alicorns.

Discord is another story. I don't consider him the "most powerful" but the type of magic he possesses is rather tricky and nearly impossible to defeat because he's such a slippery character with magic that can alter any powerful spell to some cheap magic act. Its only when you can trick him or slow him to bathe in his own ego that his magic is rendered weak? I would even consider his magic abilities rare and belonging only to him. Of any other pony tried to tap into his power, I can only imagine them being mindf*cked to insanity. So with Discord it's not HOW powerful he is...but more so the type of power he possesses. Whereas the other possess either "good" magic or "dark magic" so it's slightly easier to compare.

" Twilight hasn't even tapped into her true potential" 

This does require a bit of speculation and reading between the lines sadly, but I think with that, we have enough to get an idea of how powerful people are.

The Starlight sayers kinda irks me, she went back in time at most 20 years. Starswirl went forward 1000 according to the journal of the two sisters... as he seems to know about Twilight.

" Twilight hasn't even tapped into her true potential"

This does require a bit of speculation and reading between the lines sadly, but I think with that, we have enough to get an idea of how powerful people are.

The Starlight sayers kinda irks me, she went back in time at most 20 years. Starswirl went forward 1000 according to the journal of the two sisters... as he seems to know about Twilight.

It was from my understanding, people figured Starlight was powerful because of the battery with Twilight....not the time traveling. If THAT is the reason as to why Starlight is most powerful, I wouldn't agree. It's known she merely used the cutie map. It was crucial to the spell and honestly, had any unicorn discovered the missing link to the time travelling spell, they could have easily done what Starlight did.

It was her battle with Twilight that rubbed me as hee being very powerful. Not to mention Hasbros just had to express it again through twilight towards the end of the finale when she mentioned how powerful Starlight was to her friends.

Is it crap? To me yeah....to others maybe not. But I think we should all wait to see if the writers will make a smart decision and give us a legitimate she'd of light on Starlight and the secrets behind her magic strength.

Edited by Silver Stream.
  • Brohoof 2

It was from my understanding, people figured Starlight was powerful because of the battery with Twilight....not the time traveling. If THAT is the reason as to why Starlight is most powerful, I wouldn't agree. It's known she merely used the cutie map. It was crucial to the spell and honestly, had any unicorn discovered the missing link to the time travelling spell, they could have easily done what Starlight did.

It was hee battle with Twilight that rubbed me as hee being very powerful. Not to mention Hasbros just had to express it again through twilight towards the end of the finale when she mentioned how powerful Starlight was to her friends.

Is it crap? To me yeah....to others maybe not. But I think we should all wait to see if the writers will make a smart decision and give us a legitimate she'd of light on Starlight and the secrets behind her magic strength.

Even with the battle in mind, she is FAR from the most powerful being

Even with the battle in mind, she is FAR from the most powerful being

I wasn't inquiring that :P. Merely expressing an observation and trying to make sense of her "power" in general. That if there is any legitimate reason to believe Starlight is even close to being all powerful, the battle and Twilight's speculation should be the only back up....not the time travelling spell.

We've only seen little on Starlight and her "power" though. I'll agree she isn't the most powerful by any means but it's hard to even claim her average thanks to that ridiculous finale showdown.

First of all, I'll assume we're talking about magical power here (but there are many more factors). I can't really pinpoint the most powerful since they need to duel it out a bit, so I'll have to go with:

1. Discord: Who can switch between day and night with the snap of his finger, and can tear open holes through dimensions with ease. The Lord of Chaos is probably the most powerful, but could be beaten considering he's at maximum power.

2. Starlight: Who had technically not beaten Twilight yet, but I feel like it's been made a probable choice. She can change time, which has proven to be extremely world-changing. Plus, she has not been trained and has a lot of untapped potential.

3. Twilight: If Twilight will be stronger than Starlight, then she could be the strongest. Inverting gravity, freezing 15(ish) ponies, and she's great at mimicking spells. She still has yet to reach her full power. 

I think she may be about as powerful as Starswirl.

I think she is Starswirl. :wat:

Okay, I meant related. Whatever.

• Brohoof 1

First of all, I'll assume we're talking about magical power here (but there are many more factors). I can't really pinpoint the most powerful since they need to duel it out a bit, so I'll have to go with:

1. Discord: Who can switch between day and night with the snap of his finger, and can tear open holes through dimensions with ease. The Lord of Chaos is probably the most powerful, but could be beaten considering he's at maximum power.

2. Starlight: Who had technically not beaten Twilight yet, but I feel like it's been made a probable choice. She can change time, which has proven to be extremely world-changing. Plus, she has not been trained and has a lot of untapped potential.

3. Twilight: If Twilight will be stronger than Starlight, then she could be the strongest. Inverting gravity, freezing 15(ish) ponies, and she's great at mimicking spells. She still has yet to reach her full power. 

I think she is Starswirl. :wat:

Okay, I meant related. Whatever.

You think Twilight and Starlight are more powerful than Celestia, Luna, Tirek, Sombra, and others?

Celestia, Luna, Tirek, Sombra, and others?

Tirek isn't strong in himself. He has to steal others magic in order to be powerful, so I didn't count him (at least for what we were talking about).

Celestia and Luna are often presented as weak. They get defeated by this villain, and then this villain, and have to rely on the Mane 6 to help them. Were they stronger back then? Probably. But they certainly aren't as much now. Yes they can move the freaking moon and sun, but haven't been doing much lately. They are the next ones that would make it on.

I probably should have included Sombra.

Edited by EmeraldSkies
  • Brohoof 1