Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Fears Confirmed- New Pony Problem

BalanceBrony

(edited)

Okay, so back when the first teaser was released, y'all might have seen me skitzing out a bit on a couple of threads. Many people said "wait and see before making a judgement call." Well, now I've seen the new teaser- and this is literally the absolute worst way they could have handled Princess Flurr Fart. Or now as I'd like to call her, Princess Plot Device. Her special talents include being OP, and serving as a Deus Ex Machina, MacGuffin, or other literary device.

Back at the first teaser, I was telling people that babies are inherently problematic in storytelling. And I have had long discussions on how this could be dealt with as best as possible. There were some paths that could have been taken that wouldn't have been as bad. But they went the path of the OP baby with uncontrollable powers. And this is bad, bad, badddd.

Princess Fartface is OP. She has more power than all of the other Princesses combined it seems. Which is terrible. That teaser singlehandedly made it clear that she is just going to be a walking plot device, to serve whatever purpose is needed, including being the driver of the conflict.

To everybody who was "hyped" what are your thoughts now that we're going to have a Fairly OddBaby-tier plot, all about this "special" baby who is OP and causes all kinds of silly accidents because she was born with great power. Are you excited now that it's clear what path the writers are taking? Do you see any way they can clear up this godawful premise? Do you actually like  the idea of an OP baby who just does whatever the story needs her to do?

My concerns were justified. The only thing that could make the show passable now is if Princess Plot Device doesn't do anything outside of the opener. Or if they completely get rid of her powers for good. Ways that it could be made even worse is if she becomes a Deus Ex Machina.

Here's the godawful promo for anyone who hasn't seen the atrocity at work.

UPDATE:

In the opener, Sunburst finds a spell that nerfs Flurry Heart's magic, so going forward, she will not be a Poof. hallelujah.

Edited by BalanceBrony
  • Brohoof 7

(edited)

Oh my gosh, this idea seems kinda overdone in cartoons. Random and unexpected, seemingly-innocent character has more power than others can conceivably imagine. I didn't like Flurry Heart from the beginning, and now I see she's a set up and will probably be the main villain of the season finale and they'll have to calm her down. Until then, she'll probably be a recurring character that gets a ton of screen time being annoying and making baby sounds and Twilight will be left to watch her and break her back while she destroys everything and all the princesses will blame Twilight.

Edited by Eazyfries
  • Brohoof 6

I'm honestly more concerned with starlight's spot in the plot than flurry hearts, honestly.

A way they can save it is if Starlight steals Furry Fart's magic and locks it away. Forever.

Oh my gosh, this idea seems kinda overdone in cartoons. Random and unexpected, seemingly-innocent character has more power than other conceivably imagine. I didn't like Flurry Heart from the beginning, and now I see she's a set up and will probably be the main villain of the season finale and they'll have to calm her down. Until then, she'll probably be a recurring character that gets a ton of screen time being annoying and making baby sounds and Twilight will be left to watch her and break her back while she destroys everything and all the princesses will blame Twilight.

So Fairly OddBaby and Poof.

• Brohoof 1

I"M very sceptical myself.  I know  this is a toy grab and the writers hda thier hands teid but dam it..just cna't get over it was bor nan lcirn and jsut happne nthave this uber magic.  Okay who fanfiction got mixd into the script?

I fail to see the problem with this. Yes, the alicorn baby is powerful but it's not like it's the first time we have seen an OP baby in the show. 

Not this kind of OP. Not "Stronger than the other Princesses" OP. The cakes weren't OP anyways. They had the power levels of a normal pony. The direction this is heading towards is that Flurry Face is nothing more than a plot device.

(edited)

Not this kind of OP. Not "Stronger than the other Princesses" OP. The cakes weren't OP anyways. They had the power levels of a normal pony. The direction this is heading towards is that Flurry Face is nothing more than a plot device.

Actually, a normal unicorn isn't that good at magic. Most are limited to levetation and one or two spells that are related to their special talent. And if their special talent is magic, they still have to learn how to use magic.  

Also, please correct me if I'm wrong, but Flurry heart is an alicorn and alicorns have their own special kind of magic that happens to be stronger than a normal unicorns. So if a baby unicorn can use powerful unicorn magic then why can't a baby alicorn use powerful alicorn magic? 

Edited by Yamet
  • Brohoof 5

Are you excited now that it's clear what path the writers are taking? Do you see any way they can clear up this godawful premise? Do you actually like  the idea of an OP baby who just does whatever the story needs her to do?

I'll repeat what I said the last time we had this conversation. Hasbro likes to muck up the works, and the writers are the ones who have to work around it, So even if your greatest fears are realized I wouldn't blame the writers for it.

Lets remember that the cake twins were fairly powerful when they first started. Its pretty much been established at this point that a foal's magic is much more potent than a filly's magic, since characters like Sweetie Belle are only just learning levitation and it took twilight a lot to just squeeze out a spell before the rainboom came. So its not out of the realm of possibility that her power will die down after awhile 

They also have spells to deactivate magic, they established that in the Equestria games. 

That being said, I'll admit that it looks kind of bad. I still don't think they'll focus an entire season on her though, just the opening. 

• Brohoof 10

The brony fandom has ended. The show has officially jumped the shark. RIP Bronies: 2010-2016

.....Are you being sarcastic? I can't tell. Anyway, magic surges are nothing new. It stands to reason that a baby Alicorn's magic surges would be immensely powerful. It's kind of like the stories of how baby snakes can't control the flow of their venom.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I'm not speaking in absolutes yet. There are ways this can be salvaged. But historically, I have yet to see an OP baby plot go well. Babies have no characterization because they don't yet have mental faculties. So she probably won't have character. If she does have character, than as a baby with depth, that would make her a Mary Sue, trading one flaw for another.

If they don't give her character, then she can only be a plot device, which is yet another form of bad writing. Even here, all she is doing is going "googoo" and farting out a massive blizzard. And I highly doubt she will stop going "goo" and start talking. If she does, that walks the line of Mary Sue territory.

The ways this can go wrong far outweigh the ways it can go right. I am not yet giving up, but my concern has been increased by this preview. A step in the wrong direction has been made.

What problem are you talking about? The trailer said nothing about Flurry heart creating a problem.

The trailer heavily implies Flurry Fart did the blizzard by accident.

Edited by The PhilosoDEER
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

What problem are you talking about? The trailer said nothing about Flurry heart creating a problem. 

I assumed she caused a problem since everypony looked scared to deah when she created that huge magic beam nd then that sorm thing happened and it took that dramatic turn. Maybe not. But then, the ending makes me think she's gonna save the day somehow...which kinda leads me to believe she's gonna be the "Poof" of this series, just like the OP said.c:

Edited by Eazyfries

Well look at it this way, this will probably be another two parter which will more than likely be dislike by the majority of the fandom, either for having a stupid OP baby and underwhelming threat take up time from the StarlightXSunburst  development or because they don't give two shits about the Starlight Got-off-lenient Glimmer and would have liked more attention to have been placed on the baby and the threat being placed around the Crystal Empire while allowing the rest of the cast to do more, instead of the Villian-turn-hero Sue.  

I assumed she caused a problem since everypony looked scared to deah when she created that huge magic beam nd then that sorm thing happened and it took that dramatic turn. Maybe not. But then, the ending makes me think she's gonna save the day somehow...which kinda leads me to believe she's gonna be the "Poof" of this series, just like the OP said.c:

If she is the one that solves  the problem, then that is officially the absolute worst case scenario. Ideally, Starlight steals Flurry Butt's magic.

• Brohoof 1

I just say it like this. Each season usually got a lot of fans thinking it will be the end of pony.

Season 3(13 episodes and Lauren not working on it anymore? This was it with ponies!)

Season 4(They screwed up by making Twi an alicorn and they still continue?! It will bring our fandomn into ruin!)

Season 5(After the fight with Tirek how are they supposed to keep this level high? And already 5 seasons, this wont end well!)

And at the end we liked the seasons(Okay not all), so just wait and watch the opener and then cry how bad MLP is going, because then we SAW it and not only got teased with stuff. And as others stayed, even if she seems OP, I think when she grows, the magic will die down first. They can't control it yet so of course it kinda gets outta control first.

So please, wait until the opener at least aired. After it or few more episodes you can still predict the "End of the ponies" then.

• Brohoof 5

If she is the one that solves  the problem, then that is officially the absolute worst case scenario. Ideally, Starlight steals Flurry Butt's magic.

That's what I was thinking. I'm gonna get offended if all the princesses worship that tiny baby as some sort of hero. :[

• Brohoof 2

I just say it like this. Each season usually got a lot of fans thinking it will be the end of pony.

Season 3(13 episodes and Lauren not working on it anymore? This was it with ponies!)

Season 4(They screwed up by making Twi an alicorn and they still continue?! It will bring our fandomn into ruin!)

Season 5(After the fight with Tirek how are they supposed to keep this level high? And already 5 seasons, this wont end well!)

And at the end we liked the seasons(Okay not all), so just wait and watch the opener and then cry how bad MLP is going, because then we SAW it and not only got teased with stuff. And as others stayed, even if she seems OP, I think when she grows, the magic will die down first. They can't control it yet so of course it kinda gets outta control first.

So please, wait until the opener at least aired. After it or few more episodes you can still predict the "End of the ponies" then.

Going to be fair, S3 was really bad and it DID pretty much tank the show as far as I was concerned; S3 is the one season I have absolutely no fond memories of, and EQG after it followed suit.

Were it not for S4 being a turn around to me, that would have been the end of the ride for me. S5 dropped considerably in quality from S4 and while not as bad as S3 was, its looking to be very much downhill IMO.