Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

So, the S6 opener was today. And you guys will have seen me skitzing out a bit in the weeks leading up to it, so here is a discussion thread for my thoughts, and everybody elses.

Addressing the elephant in the room that is Princess Flurry Heart, her role in the opener was every bit as contrived and Poof-like as the doomsayers predicted. But, thankfully, they nerfed her with a spell, so going forward, it should be fine. No Poof. Good. Fingers crossed that they don't do something like "the spell is wearing off" for lazy stories going forward.

Spike was written very well, and showed a bit of maturity, kind of being an assistant teacher to Starlight now- a turn that was unexpected but makes for a nice fresh of breath air. If Spike is written this well going forward, as somebody who learned from Twilight, and is now helping someone else learn as well, this could make for a good change.

Speaking of Starlight, I was still left in wanting for more attention given to her redemption, given that a 30 second montage for Starlight was equivalent to all of Rainbow Rocks for Sunset. I was hoping they would show some kind of regression, or more explanation on how she got from "Friend leaving" to "Karl Marex" but there was not. Less time was given to her and Sunburst than there should have been, and he just completely moved past her confession, and I feel the whole plot with the baby and the Crystalling took away from these two. Might have been more space without the blizzard plot.

Unfortunately, this is the real minus of the opener. It seems like the writers want us to accept the little song as the entirety of Starlight's redemption arc. So, while the problem with the baby has been reduced going forward, the fact that they are going to force us to accept the bit of lazy writing in the finale has given me new inhibitions.

There won't be any struggles with acceptance like Sunset had, nor any struggle internally as Discord have. We are supposed to accept Starlight as is, everything forgiven, immediately shoehorned into the "Twilight's pupil role," and while that role is something I can get used to, the fact that the entrance into that role was so lazy is something that will remain as a bitter taste in my mouth.

Anyways, those are my thoughts. Let me know what you guys think below!

I didn't like it much, at least far less than all the other openings so far. I didn't like what they did with Flurry Heart, what with her being, as you mentioned in the OP, 'everything the doomsayers predicted'. The one thing that made this episode 'meh' rather than 'bad' was that Starlight is a likeable character. Yes, her arc was rushed but then her backstory was weak to begin with, and for what they had I think they've done a fair job with it...although I still want an explanation of her power.

I didn't like it much, at least far less than all the other openings so far. I didn't like what they did with Flurry Heart, what with her being, as you mentioned in the OP, 'everything the doomsayers predicted'. The one thing that made this episode 'meh' rather than 'bad' was that Starlight is a likeable character. Yes, her arc was rushed but then her backstory was weak to begin with, and for what they had I think they've done a fair job with it...although I still want an explanation of her power.

Still seems like they plan on trying to "get away with" the way her redemption went. And they will.

To be honest, I wasn't too big on Flurry Heart, but I could stand it because it wasn't the main focus of the episode.

Likewise, I was also a bit disappointed with the apparent time skip in Starlight's reformation, but then again, how much different can they do without copying Sunset Shimmer or making Starlight appear more angsty and immature than she already was in the S5 finale? The only real big missed opportunity I saw there was bringing back the ponies from Our Town to have her make up with them, but they threw that away in the montage.

They showed Starlight making up with Sunburst, and to me, it's Sunburst, the genuine interactions between the two, and the great messages that make the episode for me. Spike's character development was also a welcome plus.

Your mileage really varies here. Whether you like or dislike this episode depends on what you're looking for out of an MLP episode. I don't expect every episode to have razor-sharp dialogue and an innovative plot just like I don't expect every NFL game to be Super Bowl XLII. But for what the episode gave us and tried to do, I'd say it did it well, and left to the background what needed to be left to the background.

I generally enjoyed it.

However I feel like it was a bit underwhelming for a 2 part episode and I miss the cinematic epic feelings that episodes like Princess Twilight Sparkle and The Crystal Empire had in the past.

it was underwhelming and it left me on the fence. Something I really don't like, the premiere normally gives hope for the rest of the season but this one didn't give me any hope it just left me there doubting

While it wasn't the best start for the season, it wasn't entirely all that bad. Everyone who is saying it's bad is only looking at the negative aspects of the premier. 

This is only the start of the season. There's still much more to come, and what we've seen is only the tip of the iceberg.

To me the opener was so average it hurt. Nothing was bad but nothing in the episode made me care about what was happening in it. I still don't give two shakes about Starlight Glimmer in the slightest and her plot did nothing to change that, especially since they once again just glossed over her time being evil with no consequences, which in turn doesn't make me care for her self pity at all, nevermind the plot itself tells you to ignore it. Flurry Hearts is a baby and I can't hate or love the character since it starts and ends with baby. Spike and Shining Armor were in great form, so that's nice but were attached to plots I didn't care for. Honestly this is the weakest premier for me. It says something about the episode when the best thing I find about it is Twilight's parents speaking.