Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why is Flurry Heart an Alicorn, and is she a princess?

*Thundershock*

I was going to say that she would become a princess when cadence passed away....but then I remembered that alicorns can live forever. My guess is that there is an age restriction as to when an alicorn can become a princess.

Well it mostly has something to do with genetics. There are some cases when babies are born with their OWN features. But for Flurry Heart, that's only half the case. While she does look more like her mother, her genetic birth effects made her an alicorn. Since Cadence and Shining Armor are rulers of the Crystal Empire, They're offically King Shining Armor and Queen Cadence and Flurry Heart is automatically considered a princess.

Since Cadence and Shining Armor are rulers of the Crystal Empire, They're offically King Shining Armor and Queen Cadence and Flurry Heart is automatically considered a princess.

That... isn't how that works. Have you heard of principalities? There are a few of those around in real life to this very day. Princess Celestia is the ruler of Equestria, but she isn't a queen.

As I stated above, I believe that he is the leader of a city/district in Equestria (possibly Manehattan) and that's how he became a prince.

But he's a Prince because he is related to Princesses Celestia and Luna. If he was the leader of a city of Equestria then he would be a mayor. Do you really think Blueblood is leader materiel?

That... isn't how that works. Have you heard of principalities? There are a few of those around in real life to this very day. Princess Celestia is the ruler of Equestria, but she isn't a queen.

it is from my knowledge of how a royal family works

it is from my knowledge of how a royal family works

Oh, I wasn't questioning the "automatically considered a princess part". I was referring to your "officially King and Queen because they're rulers" part. And they don't have to be king and queen for her to be a princess, either.

She's actually a bicorn. It's just everyone thinkng she's an alicorn, because horns and wings. Until we see earth pony power, she's a bicorn.

Power level is explained due to being blood related to powerhouse Twilight and Shining.

No, she's not a princess. That doesn't come until soeone decides that they've acheived it. Princess Twilight confirms this, as well as the Journal of the two sisters

Sunbutt and Luna were born alicorns, but they were sought out AND THEN crowned princesses, well out of their baby years, By Starswirl

The whole earth pony power embedded in Alicorns would be a pretty interesting theory. Sadly, it can't be proven unless we gave Flurryheart a plant to grow.

Earth Ponies weren't there just for social mingling; they were created to manipulate the land which is proven by the unicorn's dependence on them during the Great Migration (Hearth's Warming Story). 

Oh, I wasn't questioning the "automatically considered a princess part". I was referring to your "officially King and Queen because they're rulers" part. And they don't have to be king and queen for her to be a princess, either.

Different opinions and answers, we've all got 'em

Different opinions and answers, we've all got 'em

This isn't a matter of opinion; It's a matter of how things work in real life. The fact is that "kings and queens" aren't the sole category of rulers, and that Celestia herself is an example of this.

• Brohoof 1

I honestly don't think Flurry is a princess. She may be an alicorn but from the way the show portrays it, princesshood needs to be earned. Like Cadance and Twiley. Just because she's an alicorn doesn't make her an actual princess. Maybe she is one royally but not literally. 

Why is she an alicorn? Maybe her mother being an alicorn and having been a pegasus before. And her father being a unicorn. Maybe becoming an alicorn doesn't change your genes, just your appearance. I like to think that the princesses contain the power of all three pony races (unicorn, pegasus, earth pony) combined but seeing as how that would mean Flurry only has unicorn and pegasus, she shouldn't be considered an actual princess. 

I'm shit at explaining things but these are just my thoughts.

Personally, it's always possible that Prince Blueblood is the Leader of a city/district of Equestria and Celestia gave him the title of Prince.

Do you really think Celestia would ever make him in charge of a city or district? The reality is that Flurry Heart is technically a princess. Her parents are royalty therefore she's royalty. It's just how it works. If he was a leader of Manehattan as you said he would be a mayor or governor. If Blueblood acted like he did in the Best Night Ever why would Celestia favor him out of all the leaders of cities in Equestria to become a prince?

I honestly don't think Flurry is a princess. She may be an alicorn but from the way the show portrays it, princesshood needs to be earned. Like Cadance and Twiley. Just because she's an alicorn doesn't make her an actual princess. Maybe she is one royally but not literally.

Why is she an alicorn? Maybe her mother being an alicorn and having been a pegasus before. And her father being a unicorn. Maybe becoming an alicorn doesn't change your genes, just your appearance. I like to think that the princesses contain the power of all three pony races (unicorn, pegasus, earth pony) combined but seeing as how that would mean Flurry only has unicorn and pegasus, she shouldn't be considered an actual princess.

I'm shit at explaining things but these are just my thoughts.

Well, Flurry is said to be an alicorn in the show and her power surges are blamed on being an alicorn. Everything the show says is canon so she's an alicorn. Also her parents are royalty so she's royalty. Also in The Journal Of The Two Sisters written by Amy Keating Rogers it says Celestia and Luna were approached by some of the leaders of Equestria to become their rulers. They didn't do anything special. They were just alicorns. The fight against Discord happened after they were crowned as seen in the season four premiere with the two sisters in their regalia. Edited by MissQuinn

• 1 year later...

Okay so this has come up again...

The MLP Wiki mentions that she is 'Princess Flurry Heart'. But has she ever been addresses, or even hinted at, being a Princess in the show? 

21 minutes ago, Mirage said:

Okay so this has come up again...

The MLP Wiki mentions that she is 'Princess Flurry Heart'. But has she ever been addresses, or even hinted at, being a Princess in the show? 

In "Once Upon a Zeppelin", a pony is heard saying "Why don't you play and make a princess friend?" It's just a random pony so she might not be right about Flurry being a princess, but at least that's something. :)

Spoiler

The only official reference to "Princess Flurry Heart" that I found after a quick search was in a book called "Good Night, Baby Flurry Heart" ("The royal baby, Princess Flurry Heart, was wide awake"). Most merchandise appears to call her "Baby Flurry Heart".

• Brohoof 4

11 hours ago, Tacodidra said:

In "Once Upon a Zeppelin", a pony is heard saying "Why don't you play and make a princess friend?" It's just a random pony so she might not be right about Flurry being a princess, but at least that's something. :)

Hide contents

The only official reference to "Princess Flurry Heart" that I found after a quick search was in a book called "Good Night, Baby Flurry Heart" ("The royal baby, Princess Flurry Heart, was wide awake"). Most merchandise appears to call her "Baby Flurry Heart".

I think it makes sense for her to be a princess, but I don't like you have been born as a more important member. Hopefully she is going to have flowing hair. :dash:

• Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...

Ok, to make long story short, Flurry Heart is a princess because first, since Cadence is a alicorn and Shining Armor is a unicorn, then it makes sense that her unicorn abilities are really powerful. I mean, she can shatter the Crystal Heart in like 3 seconds and she can do teleportation spells, levitating spells and even shield spells! Second, born alicorns are very unusual. But if she hadn't shown any Earth power, then she's most likely to be a mix of a Pegasi and unicorn. And she would be a princess because her parent's are royalty and, if Celestia adopted Cadence, and Shining is Twilight's brother, and they're all related to princesses, then it's very likely that she would be a princess. I actually wonder what happened to Princess Flurry, since they don't show the episodes that include her. In fact, the only time she appears in the MLP episodes is when she appears in a stained glass doing something with the Heart. Probably strengthening it. And she protected the Crystal Empire from the "dark and evil" like the Crystal Heart did. So what I think happened to Flurry is that maybe she rules alongside Cadence, or either Flurry rules the Crystal Empire and Cadence is dead.