Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why is Flurry Heart an Alicorn, and is she a princess?

*Thundershock*

Hello everypony, I just finished watching the Season 6 Premier, which was great by the way, and a new alicorn was introduced. Now, this alicorn is the baby of Cadence and Shining Armor, and I was wondering why the baby is an alicorn if Shining Armor is only a unicorn and cadence isn't naturally an alicorn. Granted in the show, even Luna and Celestia had no clue as to why the baby was an alicorn, but does anypony have any predictions and/or theories about this that they would like to share? To follow up on this, until the end of Season 5, only princesses could be alicorn as far as anypony knew, so does this suggest that baby Flurry Heart is a princess, and if so, would Cadence be considered a queen? Hopefully in future episodes, we may find out the answers to these questions, but as of this moment, I'm very deep in thought and am curious as to what you all have to say about this. Please... fuel my ideas!

Thank you kindly,

Thundershock

She's actually a bicorn. It's just everyone thinkng she's an alicorn, because horns and wings. Until we see earth pony power, she's a bicorn.

Power level is explained due to being blood related to powerhouse Twilight and Shining.

No, she's not a princess. That doesn't come until soeone decides that they've acheived it. Princess Twilight confirms this, as well as the Journal of the two sisters

Sunbutt and Luna were born alicorns, but they were sought out AND THEN crowned princesses, well out of their baby years, By Starswirl

Alicorns in the show have Unicorn and Pegasus traits, but it's kind of a grey line as to whether they really display Earth Pony traits or not, since unlike Pegasi (which have WINGS and FLY) and Unicorns (which have HORNS and use MAGIC), Earth Ponies might be strong, or they might be fast, or they might just be just average joes with no real strength other than being sociable.

So if an Alicorn is supposed to display Earth Pony traits, we can only assume that all Alicorns do, even if we don't see it, because no two Earth Ponies are alike.  Otherwise, it could just as easily be argued that none of the Alicorns we've seen so far in the show have displayed those traits.

As for why she's a Princess.  Well, her father is royalty...  Her mother is royalty...  Ahem ahem...  Where's the surprise in that?

Edited by SBaby
  • Brohoof 2

She's actually a bicorn. It's just everyone thinkng she's an alicorn, because horns and wings. Until we see earth pony power, she's a bicorn.

Power level is explained due to being blood related to powerhouse Twilight and Shining.

No, she's not a princess. That doesn't come until soeone decides that they've acheived it. Princess Twilight confirms this, as well as the Journal of the two sisters

Sunbutt and Luna were born alicorns, but they were sought out AND THEN crowned princesses, well out of their baby years, By Starswirl

Royal title is in the blood if you ask me. I see Cadence's princess thing as coming from her being Celestia's (adopted) niece, but I headcanon that she can't pass on her royal title to her heirs. Twilight would be the only "commoner-given-royal-title" thing in my headcanon.

So til the show says otherwise, I'm going to treat Flurry Heart as not being a princess. If they do decide to call her a princess, I've got a backup explanation in mind - That she's a princess of the Crystal Empire (since Cadence rules it now), but not of Equestria as a whole. (Cadence would be both a minor princess of Equestria *and* the sovereign princess of the Crystal Empire. Not sure if "sovereign" applies in this case, though, seeing as how the Crystal Empire looks to be a sub-national monarchy under Equestria...)

• Brohoof 1

Well, I don't think she is considered a princess, since she is called "the baby". Oh, also, Flurry did show earth pony traits, for example, she was so heavy that Pinkie could't make her stop flying. Its kind of Pegasus and Earth trait that she has shown.

A Bicorn...that would be a pony with two horns. ^^" 

I like to think that Alicorns have Earth pony powers, but that was never really established in canon. They always just referred to it as "Earning Alicorn wings" or similar. They never actually mention Earth Pony powers...what a shame.

What I'm getting at: Flurry IS an Alicorn.

As for her title, I think Flurry Heart is automatically a princess, on account of being born into a royal family. Hasbro will never call Cadence a Queen, though. Celestia was supposed to be called "Queen Celetia", but that was scrapped because Hasbro associated that title with being evil--hence, Queen Chrysalis.

Edited by AmberDust
  • Brohoof 3

I like to think that Alicorns have Earth pony powers, but that was never really established in canon. They always just referred to it as "Earning Alicorn wings" or similar. They never actually mention Earth Pony powers...what a shame.

As for her title, I think Flurry Heart is automatically a princess, on account of being born into a royal family. Hasbro will never call Cadence a Queen, though. Celestia was supposed to be called "Queen Celetia", but that was scrapped because Hasbro associated that title with being evil--hence, Queen Chrysalis.

But not everyone of royal lineage gets a title, or we'd be overrun with different royal lines. Since Cadence is adopted (not actually of royal blood), I figure she can't pass on her title.

Also, the OP's "queen" logic is shaky anyway. Giving birth doesn't turn a princess into a queen. Prince Charles didn't become "King Charles" when he had kids. And besides, there are sovereign principalities irl (Monaco, Liechtenstein, etc.) where the monarch is a "sovereign prince", but their kids are princes/princesses too.

Edited by Daring_Do

Well, I don't think she is considered a princess, since she is called "the baby". Oh, also, Flurry did show earth pony traits, for example, she was so heavy that Pinkie could't make her stop flying. Its kind of Pegasus and Earth trait that she has shown.

being heavy isn't an earth pony trait. she wouldn't be able to fky if she were as heavy as you make her to be

It's a testament to her pegasus ability, to pull a grown mare in mid-flight, if anything

fine. Pegacorn. Happy?

And frankly, Hasbro was never one to follow Disney concepts so closely. Even in MLP. They've taken chances and made GOOD Kings and Queens before.

Queen Rosedust of the Flutter ponies- G1

"By Right, I should be queen" song the princess ponies sing in G1

Good king and queen talked about- and seen in "Princess Problems"- G2

Good queen mentioned in the spellbook Twilight has, in "Hearts and Hooves Day"- G4

Good queen mentioned from the Crystal Empire- "The crystal Empire part 2" (?) G4

Good queen mentioned in Journal of the Two sisters- g4

Good king "King Leo" depicted as Celestia's cousin- "Under the Sparkling Sea"- G4

Good king, ruler of the deer in the Everfree forest, "King Aspen"- G4

Good king, "King Orion", ruler of Timbucktu, in Fiendship is Magic IDW comic- G4

In fact, there's far more examples of good kings and queens in G4 than any other past MLP generation

being heavy isn't an earth pony trait. she wouldn't be able to fky if she were as heavy as you make her to be

It's a testament to her pegasus ability, to pull a grown mare in mid-flight, if anything

fine. Pegacorn. Happy?

And frankly, Hasbro was never one to follow Disney concepts so closely. Even in MLP. They've taken chances and made GOOD Kings and Queens before.

Queen Rosedust of the Flutter ponies- G1

"By Right, I should be queen" song the princess ponies sing in G1

Good king and queen talked about- and seen in "Princess Problems"- G2

Good queen mentioned in the spellbook Twilight has, in "Hearts and Hooves Day"- G4

Good queen mentioned from the Crystal Empire- "The crystal Empire part 2" (?) G4

Good queen mentioned in Journal of the Two sisters- g4

Good king "King Leo" depicted as Celestia's cousin- "Under the Sparkling Sea"- G4

Good king, ruler of the deer in the Everfree forest, "King Aspen"- G4

Good king, "King Orion", ruler of Timbucktu, in Fiendship is Magic IDW comic- G4

In fact, there's far more examples of good kings and queens in G4 than any other past MLP generation

Wasn't Hearts and Hooves Day's thing about a princess and prince? (Rest of your list still stands, though- Wait, who was the good queen in Journal of the Two Sisters? They called Amore a princess in that one)

Edited by Daring_Do

I believe that this was a genetic mutation and it has to be due to the fact that the chances of having an alicorn foal are heightened when a royal couple breeds. I go into further detail in this thread here: https://mlpforums.com/topic/149411-the-crystalling-and-the-genetic-dilemma/

In the Season 6 Premier when Twilight first saw Flurry Heart, Luna and Celestia were in the room and they said that an alicorn being born was unheard of, so they couldn't have been born alicorns. They said so themselves.

Also, an alicorn is a pony with a horn and wings. Your made up "pegacorn" word is just a unnecessary substitute for the word alicorn.

Wasn't Hearts and Hooves Day's thing about a princess and prince? (Rest of your list still stands, though- Wait, who was the good queen in Journal of the Two Sisters? They called Amore a princess in that one)

during the explanation of the crystal faire, a queen is mentioned as having founded it. Whether it was Amore or not, they don't say

King Bullion is mentioned in the Journal- dad of prncess Platinum

during the explanation of the crystal faire, a queen is mentioned as having founded it. Whether it was Amore or not, they don't say

King Bullion is mentioned in the Journal- dad of prncess Platinum

Is that in the journal or the show? I remember Cadance mentioning the old queens of the Empire in that one S3 episode with Ms. Harshwhinny.

And ah yeah, King Bullion.

Is that in the journal or the show? I remember Cadance mentioning the old queens of the Empire in that one S3 episode with Ms. Harshwhinny.

And ah yeah, King Bullion.

in the show. But not in the episode Harshwhinny was in. The Sombra premier

Princess Cadence's and Shining Armor's foal named Flurry Heart is born as an alicorn as of January 2016 from the first sixth season premiere animatic scene I just know.

Edited by Allen

It does raise the question why Shining Armor became a prince just by marrying Cadance while Twilight was just.... Twilight until she became an alicorn.

There is that book about Cadance becoming an alicorn but that isn't canon to the show so that's still up in the air.

Flurry Heart is a princess because her parents Princess Cadence and Shining Armor are royalty.

So by extension that makes her royalty.

Also I am pretty sure that she is an alicorn because her mother is an alicorn.

Flurry Heart is a princess as she's born into royalty. If Prince Blueblood holds the title of prince, then why not flurry heart??? is she not the heir to the crystal empire??

It's implied in the show that she is an alicorn. WHY idk... but I hope we get a good explanation soon. 

• Brohoof 1

To follow up on this, until the end of Season 5, only princesses could be alicorn as far as anypony knew, so does this suggest that baby Flurry Heart is a princess, and if so, would Cadence be considered a queen?

All Alicorns are princesses, but not all princesses are Alicorns.  In her case, as the daughter of a princess, then yes, she is a princess, and no, that does not make Cadance a queen.

She cannot be a princess. Flurry Heart may be an alicorn, but she is not a member of the Equestrian Monarch. It is mentioned a few times in the episode that you must earn a royal title. Also, no one in the episode refers to her as a princess (and don't tell me that Spike said it was a Royal Crystalling, what he meant by that is how the parents are the rulers of the Crystal Empire).

However Hasbro's marketing department disagrees. The new Flurry Heart toy has a crown and a throne. Though it's obvious that the only reason for this is for the money.

My best guess on why Shining Armor became a prince is because he is the Captain of the Royal Guard and he is actually pretty smart.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
Flurry Heart may be an alicorn, but she is not a member of the Equestrian Monarch. It is mentioned a few times in the episode that you must earn a royal title.

Has it ever occurred to you that maybe the Crystal Empire is not part of Equestria?  Equestria is a kingdom (or a Queendom, since females rule it).  However, how can the Crystal Empire be an Empire if it's part of another country?  

If the Crystal Empire was part of Equestria, it would be a State or District, not an Empire.  More likely, I think they're an ally of Equestria, and not necessarily part of the country itself.  Otherwise, they wouldn't have a Princess ruling over them.  They would have representatives.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.  Because otherwise, it makes no sense to call them an Empire.

Edited by SBaby
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)
Has it ever occurred to you that maybe the Crystal Empire is not part of Equestria? Equestria is a kingdom (or a Queendom, since females rule it).

Actually the fact that it's ruled by Princesses would make it either a Princedom, or a Principality.

(Although it has been referred to in the cartoon as a Kingdom.)

If the Crystal Empire was part of Equestria, it would be a State or District, not an Empire. More likely, I think they're an ally of Equestria, and not necessarily part of the country itself.

But I do agree with this.

Edited by Concerned Bystander

Has it ever occurred to you that maybe the Crystal Empire is not part of Equestria?  Equestria is a kingdom (or a Queendom, since females rule it).  However, how can the Crystal Empire be an Empire if it's part of another country?  

If the Crystal Empire was part of Equestria, it would be a State or District, not an Empire.  More likely, I think they're an ally of Equestria, and not necessarily part of the country itself.  Otherwise, they wouldn't have a Princess ruling over them.  They would have representatives.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.  Because otherwise, it makes no sense to call them an Empire.

This is exactly what I was going to bring up but then I read and realized I wasn't alone in my thinking. There's a lot about the Crstal Empire that doesn't quite fit with Equestria, but my understanding of pony-verse geography as well as my real world geography isn't all that perfect. So my definitions of what is Equestria and what's not is kinda fuzzy....like how can the rulers of Equestria be in charge of the sun and moon but not the world?.....

Some how the Crystal Empire comes off to me as Athens being sovereign from Rome for a time if that makes sense. It is close and they know about each other and deal with each other but they aren't one exact group until Rome conquers yet ends up adopting Athenian culture into their own rather than forcing assimilation.

From Fiendship is Magic it seems that Canterlot was once similar in style to the Crystal Empire but the crystal ponies and the Crsytal empire stay with this kinda Athenian or Grecian style now whether or not that has something to do with the fact that they were ya know wiped from existence for a while or maybe they just are very patriotic or something I can't say. But I'm just pointing out this very clear and obvious ancient Greco-Roman parallel because 1 in my head canon it's completely true I mean Princess Amore looks like the pony version of a Greek female statue and 2 think of how rulers were given titles, how they were chosen, and how they were sometimes deified in ancient Mediterranean cultures.....follow me now people

So to be the head honcho in Rome you didn't exactly haveeeee to be related to the current ruler but most were. The rulers, while semi chosen by the people based on their prowess as a general or leader or senator, were also mostly "chosen" by the current ruling party's family. Often if the current ruler had no heir they would go with a nephew or even second cousin. Now I'm not being specific and to the accurate because this post is very long and this is the short version......

Let me explain...no, there is too much....let me sum up

These all correlate to the current situation in the "royal family" of Equestria and the Crystal Empire. Celestia decides who can be deemed worthy of becoming a princess thus granting them titles and wings (doesn't seem very democratic but merit based societies aren't too bad I guess). Then there's the weird adoption of Cadence as Celestia's niece and then she is in charge of the Crystal Empire (which I'm going to pretend is a vassal state to Equestria). Now that the brother of a princess is married to a princess he becomes a prince....(why doesn't he get wings btw). So now is Celestia's chance to have an "heir" in her little fabricated bloodline. I don't think there are any cases of princesses giving birth in this universe anyway, so why not take the opportunity to make this little one the OPAF!! Lol I know people hate Flurry Heart because she came out of nowhere and has op powers and is just born with unicorn magic and giant wings. But think about it, aren't Celestia's wings wayyyyyy bigger than say Rainbow Dash's wings? Because they're alicorn wings! Don't say well she's older, just go with me because I can't think of any pegasus with wings bigger than an alicorn's ok? She hasn't yet earned her wings because she was born with them...some people become great some are born great! It happens. (Also in my insane little head cannon I have already paralleled Celestia and Flurry Heart with Caesar and Caligula [mind you as a classics major my view of Caligula and everyone else's is vastly different I'm not talking about all the evil stuff he supposedly did but didn't because LEARN REAL HISTORY PEOPLE, I mean the wild insane entitled antics is all] because of the uncle and the nephew relation thing and the immensely powerful thing!)

To;dr

Equestria is Rome, Crystal Empire is Athens, Flurry Heart may present the opportunity for the Crystal Empire to take over the world!!! Mwahahahaha! Jk she's just the first royal baby in the show, so she gets special rules.

Now then I hope this makes sense because editing my text here while on my phone is difficult ^^;

• Brohoof 1