Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Why do you cosplay?

Shoobedoo

I was just curious about what motivates different people to cosplay. I am an introverted, somewhat anti-social person and cosplay helps me twofold. It forces me to have to deal with people asking about the costume, wanting pictures, and generally giving me attention, but it also gives me something to talk about and break the ice. Do you find it empowering or comforting? Or do you just like to make things? Is it an artistic expression? Please share your thought and insights.

• Brohoof 1

Well as someone that doesn't cosplay but wants to do it, I'd say I would do it because yeah I like making things but I also feel like it connects you to your favorite character in a way. That's at least why I'd do it.

Edited by Fluttershyfan94

I dressed up for comic-con in Glasgow last year, I can't claim to have done it for any high purpose, it was purely for fun.  I had most of my costume in the car to put on when I got there, as it was a little too cumbersome to wear on the drive, and I came so close to bottling out of putting it on many times leading up to the day, and even when I arrived at the venue.  I'm glad I went through with it though, I was amazed at how well received it was, loads of people asking for pictures.  Definitely doing it again this year.

• Brohoof 1

I like to cosplay because I enjoy dressing as another character or my fursona. It's just really fun for me to sorta escape for a little while and just be silly.

:D

• Brohoof 2

I did it because it was fun. I also made most of my costumes from scratch. It's one of my few works that I take pride in, even if they don't always turn out very good.

I have never been to a con before, and pretty much everything I own is in storage. But if I had the opportunity (and money), I would love to cosplay at one.

It's like all the fun of Halloween but in more times of the year ^ ^

I have a few outfits o_o

• Neko Butler (I have cat ears and a Suit, It's actually my favourite ^ ^) 
  • Itachi/Akatsuki (Because it's literally the cheapest cosplay outfit you can buy easily in my country.)
  • Attack on Titan (Second cheapest cosplay outfit you can easily buy)

• 1 month later...

I do it for the same resin you do it. To me making costumes keeps me from doing stupid stuff like drinking and partying. I love making them and I love the reaction I get from it. Im also an introverted person and it does help me to get out more. And yes I would say it is a form of artistic expression, because in a why you are sculpting something out of foam, fabric, fiberglass, extra, into something different.

P.S. sorry for spelling errors.

For some people it's about the art and creativity of making the costume. For others, the fun of stepping outside themselves and becoming someone else. Some just enjoy the misery of wearing a roasting-hot outfit and sweating buckets until they pass out from heat exhaustion. (Hey, it's a great way to lose weight!) 

I don't cosplay for recreation because I don't have the time or money (or skill) to make my own costumes. But I wear a costume at work all the time so technically I can see the appeal (and the drawbacks) of it, for what it's worth. 

Personally, the appeal of it is becoming someone different from myself.  :grin:

• Brohoof 1

Personally, I do it (when I can) because I like the character, I like crafting, and I like how when I wear my cosplays and go on conventions, nobody judges me on me, I'm not me, I'm the character, so yeah, some people will judge me, but based on the quality of the cosplay, not based on the quality of me. And to be honest, that's what I like the most, being able to be someone different for a day :o

I don't cosplay but I have a great respect for those that do.

If I were to cosplay it would be for fun and to show appreciation for some of my favorite characters and movies and shows.

I cosplay because I think it's fun to be creative. that way. Also you get appreciated for expressing a character both you and many more have taken a liking to.

I just love the whole idea of it and the effort put into it. <3