Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

In Vogue Words You Love/Hate

Poly Lingua

What are some words/phrases in vogue that you love or hate?

For me... :P

Love:

- "hella"; I don't know, just has an adorable kind of feel to it, and it helps rid of redundancy with the words "very" and "really".

- "facepalm"; because I do that quite a lot.

- "ship"; because shipping your favorite characters can be quite fun and fulfilling.

Hate:

- "literally"; specifically when people say it but they're talking metaphorically... How could you have "literally exploded" if you're standing here in front of me telling me this and you're in one piece?

- "YOLO"; just... stop. No. Besides, do you mean "YOLO" as in be careful and don't kill yourself? Or do you mean "YOLO" as in live life to its fullest and do reckless, possibly stupid, activities? Sorry, I fail to understand.

- "faze"... but you mean "phase", right, as in a noun? Plus it's a bit uncreative and vague; instead of saying "it's just a phase" can you be more specific please?

• 8 months later...

Well, I'll come back later with the ones I do like once I'm in a more whimsical mood, but as for now a few I dislike.

Literally is a pet peeve of mine, there doesn't seem to be any single way you can use it right these days without sounding like a dweeb. It's gotten to the point now where I wince even if its used correctly because it just never sounds right.

Then there's misusing words to create modern-day slang. "Gay" used to mean simply being happy, then it somehow became attached to one's sexual orientation and I'm still fine with that, but then the teenyboppers picked it up & started using it for... I really can't tell you, its been abused to the point where it could either mean good OR bad now! But that, I can stand too, young'uns, you know?   No, what really offends me is when people use the word (and I wince just typing this) "Retarted".

They use it like it means dumb or whatever else when I'm quite certain its a term for an actual, diagnosable  medical condition. That's like me walking up to you in the street and saying "Eew, you got epistaxis all over you!"

But on a less based-on-reality one: I no longer like using the word "Midnight."  Used to be the name of one of my dogs that has since passed away & now I feel like I'm dishonoring his name to use it for anything else.

Buuuuuut, Onna lighter note! Sure, I may get huffy about those words being misused, but I do the same thing myself! I adore the word "Technically!" Not entirely sure what it technically means, but I like using it whenever I can because its pretty & smart-sounding!  Teeeeeeeeeechnicaaaally!

For me lets see:

Like:

-Otherwise

-Alas

-Nonetheless

-Interesting

-Coincidence

Dislike:

-smh (whatever that means and I do see that on Youtube a lot!)

-Faze (seriously its spelled phase not this dumb idiotic word that should not be in the dictionary.)

-When people use the word "like" so much. Just it once and choose something else. You know add variety.

-Rekt (*sighs* who uses that ignorant word. Its wrecked, thanks.)

-Obiviously (I just don't use that so often of course.) 

Edited by Unovas

Words I like?

Death, moist, contrary, mortuary, endeavor, thorn, vaporous, colour(British spelling). The list goes on,mbut I'll end it here.

Words I hate because they are kind of amazingly stupid.

Rekt, yas, alternative-fact, bae..... Basically anything snotty teens use to sound "hip" and "kewl"

As for someone who has a hard time communicating with others on what I have to say. I learn about how to get my point across without sounding inept. It still happens now and again but not as bad as it used to be.

What I usually hear more often than not is just heinous to me. Most of these words are ok on their own and only used sparingly:

• "Basically" - How it's supposed to be used for example, like giving the dictionary description for circle then ending it with "Basically a circle" That is how it is supposed to be used. Saying basically does not make one understand it better. Unless they actually make it easier to understand which is fine.
  • "Like" - This one is just to annoying to hear. I mean, this one is fine in some way. Hearing this over and over again is just painful to listen to. Word repetition just makes me zone out. I can never hear what the person is saying if they use 'like' as a go to conjunction in their sentences.
  • "...and stuff" - This one really grinds my gears. Like with the other three, it is fine on it's own. Overusing it should be a crime against communication. It is just a monosyllabic version of et cetera (also known as etcetera or etc.)

Now, there is the misunderstanding of the word 'pussy'. Used sexually and censoring it is fine, used in the context of cowardice and I think it should never be censored. Because the word in context of cowardice is a monosyllabic version of pusillanimous; meaning fearful.

In case anyone is wondering, yes I am trying to sound smart. :please:

Dislike:  any words that is being cut off short; plz(please), cuz(because), thx(thank) ects. I'd sometime misread them. 

Like: ....i don't have references. 

I love the word 'rekt', really, because I enjoy annoying people with it. I despise 'bae' and 'fleek'. For the love of all that is unholy, kill the word fleek with fire. As for 'faze'...I've never seen it used as a noun. As a noun meaning 'phase' it's just stupid, but the verb 'faze' is very much a word, as in "I'm not fazed by the prospect of bungee jumping."

Buzz words can me annoying in general. Personally I could do without the overuse of "same". My youngest and her friends say that way too often. It's to the point it sometimes sounds like they are the seagulls from Finding Nemo repeating one word over and over.