Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why aren't either Luna or Celestia married?

Varrack

Whoever they would choose to marry would probably have to match them in longevity, so their options are already pretty slim. Having lived as long as they have, however, I would think that maybe they may not even have an interest in those pursuits (I'm only going off of what I see in the show's canon) anymore, if they ever did at one point. Besides, it would appear they seem pretty content just having one another anyway. ^^

Edited by Lady Kiriness
  • Brohoof 4

Who says they haven't been married? 1000 years is a long time, and even counting sources other than the show, like the books and comics, we still don't know about everything that's happened in that time.

Maybe they're not married right now, but that doesn't mean they never were. Their spouses could have passed on, or they broke up for some reason or another.

Though, I'd imagine it'd be hard for Luna to get married during those 1000 years on the moon.

And Celestia at least has had a relationship with Mirror universe Sombra in the comics.

Edited by Base
  • Brohoof 6

They haven't found the right ponies.

Luna was on the Moon for 1k years, don't forget.

Celestia's doubtless had relationships, maybe even had kids, over the years.

• Brohoof 2

Not all available mares are waiting for the perfect stallion to swept them off their hooves and so does including the Royal Sisters. They are contempt at their livelihoods and know their place in Equestria. I can be wrong too if either of them would be interested in a canon relationship.

• Brohoof 1

Having a lifespan greater than everyone around you does put a dampener on any potential relationship. Even using magic to extend that pony's lifespan... what about that pony's family? The partner would suffer too. 

Oh, and Luna's not had much of a chance, really.

When I first read this I kept thinking it meant Luna and Celestia marrying each other, and I was so confused because they're sisters, lol.

Yes, me too.

When I first read this I kept thinking it meant Luna and Celestia marrying each other, and I was so confused because they're sisters, lol.

Yup, same here.

On a more serious and relevant note, I think the fact they are immortal would cause quite a few political problems if they chose to take a husband.  The other nobles would literally be fighting amongst each other for the chance to marry into the royal bloodline.  If it could also be assumed that the princesses are fertile, it would cause further problems as you would suddenly have ponies of noble birth (possibly even alicorns, considering how Flurry Heart was the product of unicorn and a pegasus-turned-alicorn) who had legitimate claims to either of their titles.

In other words, by remaining celibate, Luna and Celestia are able to prevent any possible uprisings involving pretenders attempting to push their claims and usurp the throne of Equestria.

Good thing age spells are canon.

And yes, I'm sure Celestia and Luna would be strong enough to cast them.

An Age spell isn't an Immortality spell, though. Maybe in the past they had partners, but after a thousand years they decided not to have any more? I've heard of lots of Starlestia shipping.

Because they don't want to outlive their loved ones like that.

I'm going to agree here. Knowing in advance that you are likely to outlive your spouse is a different level of madness that resigns one, like it or not, to a constant state of nostalgia, however it is with a focus on the present and future.

Luna and Tia likely would be aware of this, and avoid it like the plague.

• Brohoof 3

An Age spell isn't an Immortality spell, though. Maybe in the past they had partners, but after a thousand years they decided not to have any more? I've heard of lots of Starlestia shipping.

I read one fic where somepony was able to "cheat" by remembering to recast an age spell on themselves every few decades.

That, and there was Star Swirl's schtick in The Journal Of The Two Sisters.

Edited by A.V.

Because they don't feel like getting married, it's not mandatory.

That's another valid possibility, especially since this show isn't exactly romance-heavy (it has it sometimes, but more-often not).

Edited by A.V.

That's another valid possibility, especially since this show isn't exactly romance-heavy (it has it sometimes, but more-often not).

I also like to believe it is because they would be too busy to deal with romance.

Ruling over an entire country alone would be a very daunting and time consuming task, let alone raising and lowering the sun and moon.

Do you mean why aren't they married to each other? Because they're sisters, and that would be weird. (no offense if any of you are married to your sister)

But I get the feeling you don't mean that. Maybe they have been married in the past, but they outlived their spouses and don't want to get married again.

Edited by El Duderino

(edited)

It would be promoting incest

Because they're sisters

Because they're sisters.

Yeah...that's not what I meant.

132792950858.gif

Edited by Varrack
  • Brohoof 5

@@VarrackIt may be worth changing thread title to prevent confusion.

Others already mentioned their immortality and outliving their partners (if they kept remarrying, they would potentially have gone over a hundred husbands). But there is also this question: what option do they have anyway? In terms of male immortals... or at least ones with a long lifespan, you have potentially King Sombra (villain who disappeared for a thousand years), Discord (villain who was stoned for a thousand years), Tirek (villain who was imprisoned for a period of time), dragons (species ponies know very little about). So even if they wanted to marry, there is not many who would even potentially suit them.