Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Flurry Heart's existence completely pointless?

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

So we all were...'blessed' with the alicorn super baby that is Flurry Heart. Ever since her first appearance I wondered if she would actually have a major role to play in anything other than the season premiere and if we would get some answers about her being a born-alicorn. Aliborn!

However, did we get any of this in the season? Nope. None. Flurry appears as a super important thing in the premiere and afterwards fades into obscurity completely for the rest of the season. She has had no important role, she has not been explained, she just poofs in out of nowhere and now is basically a background pony. Where was the episode with cute interactions between her and aunty Twily? Or any of the other ponies? With such an important status that she has and so much mystery surrounding her, I was thinking we would see her more and get more out of it, yet we never did.

Sure, this all could happen in season 7, but right now it feels like the writers have now forgotten about her after her one major appearance, which was her first appearance. She seems completely wedged in the show for no reason now.

Anyone else feel this way? To me, Flurry just seems entirely pointless now. A candy coated super baby that possibly exists only because of toys.

• Brohoof 5

Sadly yes.

I hoped we could have gotten an episode focusing on Twilight, Shining Armor and Cadence taking care of her outside of the premiere, but nope, nothing happens with her all season.

I guess it could happen next season, I suppose.

But at the same time she isn't the only character in the show who's existence is completely pointless, the last two season and this in specifically have been really bad to Celestia.

• Brohoof 2

she just poofs in out of nowhere 

Kyoshi, let me tell you about the birds and the bees...

Seriously tho, I agree with you. She's just there to sell toys...

I hope that at some point she'll become a challenge for the CMC. But until then, she's a background pony.

• Brohoof 2

So far, yes, she's been completely superfluous. Even though fans were anticipating an alicorn baby, the fact that she's an alicorn ultimately amounts to nothing in the grand scheme of things. She could have been born a super-powerful unicorn and it wouldn't have changed the story one bit.

Even in The Times They Are Changeling she served no purpose than a plot point to expose Thorax. Even if it would be copying Baby Cakes, how about an episode where Aunty Twilight babysits? 

• Brohoof 1

I suppose they were using her to make Cadance and Shining Armor have some kind of plot. I do have so much ideas for her though. Like she could become as powerful as a nuclear weapon is to a nation and other nations would begin to fear her existence and then it would be about politics and the arms race. Or in the future she would end up a villain or something.

• Brohoof 1

Sadly yes.

I hoped we could have gotten an episode focusing on Twilight, Shining Armor and Cadence taking care of her outside of the premiere, but nope, nothing happens with her all season.

I guess it could happen next season, I suppose.

But at the same time she isn't the only character in the show who's existence is completely pointless, the last two season and this in specifically have been really bad to Celestia.

I have to agree, especially considering what happened in the finale with Celestia suffering being put into another Changeling cocoon after going through it once back in A Canterlot Wedding, but this time alongside Luna, Cadance, Shining Armor, the Mane Six, Spike, and Flurry Heart.

I do hope they get more love next season, or a lot of Bronies are not going to be very happy with how the writers are handling Flurry Heart and Celestia as of recently.

• Brohoof 1

Yes she 'poofed' out of no where
Aka she the Poof(Farily odd parents) of mlp. Her only purpose was to sell toys and for Cadance to be the perfect little mommy with no flaws at all. Srue shining can look like a wreck but celetia forbid for Cadance to chip her hooves.

• Brohoof 1

When season 6 started, I wasn't even aware of her existence lol.  So the look of surprise on my face when she popped up on screen for me for the first time and I'm going wtf is this? XD

I didn't even bother questioning it. I just said, well there's goes the neighbourhood.  In all seriousness, I don't see her as anything past selling merchandise. I'm not even sure why she was created, and if the season 6 finale 2 parter doesn't have her (so badly trying to avoid spoilers, this place is not helping), then it's just even funnier and more pointless to have her.  Oh well. Just really shrugging it and moving on. I could care less about her.

I'm thinking we'll see her in season 7. Hasbro may have gotten cold feet, since she wasn't that well-received I believe. But taking care of a baby, raising a baby, lore around alicorns... There are quite a few things to be told. We've already seen how Cadance and Shining Armor were exhausted taking care of her, so calling Aunty Twilight for help sounds good.

But that begged the question for me: will they keep her as a baby for eternity? I think the Cakes babies still are, and in another thread, people have been rather in favour of the CMC (and thus, everyone) aging up a bit, so...

Ooh, I can't pass by a Turbulence Cardioid bashing thread without stopping in!  (Yes, I call her that as an insult.  Y'know, synonyms for Flurry Heart.  Get it?)

right now it feels like the writers have now forgotten about her

We can only hope.

So, I've hated her from the get go, but like anything else that they make canon, if it had to be done, then they should have at least done it right and made her a worthwhile character in some regard.  Would it be too much to ask for to get one episode seeing Cadence and Armor caring for her, with some cute interactions with Aunt Twilight, while at the same time having the princesses, including the Sisters, doing some research to ascertain why she was born an alicorn, and why this has never happened in Equestria's history?  I guess so.

Well, for my part, I'd like to do to Flurry Heart what Kratos did to Hercules.  Can't post it here, but anyone who has played God of War 3 knows...

• Brohoof 1

Ooh, I can't pass by a Turbulence Cardioid bashing thread without stopping in!  (Yes, I call her that as an insult.  Y'know, synonyms for Flurry Heart.  Get it?)

We can only hope.

So, I've hated her from the get go, but like anything else that they make canon, if it had to be done, then they should have at least done it right and made her a worthwhile character in some regard.  Would it be too much to ask for to get one episode seeing Cadence and Armor caring for her, with some cute interactions with Aunt Twilight, while at the same time having the princesses, including the Sisters, doing some research to ascertain why she was born an alicorn, and why this has never happened in Equestria's history?  I guess so.

Well, for my part, I'd like to do to Flurry Heart what Kratos did to Hercules.  Can't post it here, but anyone who has played God of War 3 knows...

.You are a very, very, incredibly sick man! And not the good sick.

Edited by heavens-champion
  • Brohoof 1

You know, that's an interesting idea for an episode indeed, would like to see it be a thing. I guess researching that takes time and this is why we still haven't had any answers... Am I being to hopeful here?

Still, that would finally give Celestia a chance to shine a little bit at least. The poor Tia has almost become more useless than Snails in the show at this point. And we haven't seen much of Cadance, or even Shining Armor.

• Brohoof 1

Well so far Cadance is the only princess to have a child and that isn't a bad thing to represent after all having an heir is actually a cornerstone tradition for royal families to continue their line. What better princess than the princess of love to have a baby anyway.

Edited by cider float

Honestly, yes, I do think she's a relatively pointless character, probably created to sell more toys and to make Shining Armor & Cadence a little more relevant. Having her being a naturally born alicorn also seems unnecessary, and kinda devalues the whole alicorn thing from something that needs to be earned through great trials (such as when Twilight earned her wings), to something anyone can potentially be born with.

Okay, okay. I will accept that the big hubbub over Flurry Heart becoming an Alicorn amounted to very little but... like... you've seen this show, right? Forward planning isn't exactly its forte.

This does not make Flurry Heart pointless, however: her appearance in the premiere was a major source of comic relief, and it contributed to the underlying theme about the stresses of new parenthood. No real child is that high-mantinence, but she still serves as a good metaphor for how challenging babies can be to take care of. On top of that, by leading to the usual big disaster in the premiere, she allows it to (brilliantly) avoid bringing in another big villain, which would inevitably remove much of the episode's freshness. Then, later, she's a plot device in "The Times They Are a Changeling," so that is important as well. I am clueless about why she gets so much hate.

• Brohoof 1

I'm still not sure what everyone expects of her, really? She's a baby, what much is she going to do?

The only things I can really think of, are some further explanations on Alicorn lore, which probably won't happen, but if it does could happen in season 7, and an episode of Twilight and friends caring for her, which could be cute, sure. But they'll have to do something new with it, because otherwise it's just Baby Cakes with an Alicorn baby.

But other than being cute, providing some comedy by being an OP little baby, giving some Alicorn lore...What else could she do? She's a baby, guys. She's not going to get Character development or learn lessons, she can't even talk yet.

Oh, here's a fun idea! An episode where Flurry Heart from the future uses a time travel spell to come back and do...something, I dunno. No idea what she'd do, but maybe seeing an adult version of her with a personality would make people warm up to her, instead of blaming her for...being a baby, basically.

I would love to see a slice of life episode focusing on Cadance, Shining Armor, Flurry Heart, and Twilight while Celestia and Luna did some research on why Flurry Heart was born an Alicorn in the first place. That would make a nice episode for Season 7.

You know, that's an interesting idea for an episode indeed, would like to see it be a thing. I guess researching that takes time and this is why we still haven't had any answers... Am I being to hopeful here?

Still, that would finally give Celestia a chance to shine a little bit at least. The poor Tia has almost become more useless than Snails in the show at this point. And we haven't seen much of Cadance, or even Shining Armor.

Yeah, I'm getting fed up with how the writers keep making the Princesses and Shining Armor the freaking Badass/Damsel In Distress when it comes to the season premieres/finales, especially Season 6 with Chrysalis seeking vengeance on them. It's disgraceful.