Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Please don't cosplay. Please don't.

TheAnimatorOfficial

Why aren't we supposed to have fun?

Also, why should we care about the trolls? We shouldn't be so insecure about them.

Exactly this. As long as you aren't doing something that would make us look legitimately bad (such as making us look like pedophiles via inappropriate interactions with children and whatnot) then just having good, wholesome fun won't hurt anyone.

Trolls would use the simple fact of being a brony against us as if it's something to be ashamed of. Only the insecure get in a huff over what the trolls do.

Cosplay in and of itself is not anything bad. As a business the theaters might not allow it because of the risk it could be to younger audiences as well as other patrons, of course, but doing so purely on the grounds that they "don't like our kind" is more or less a rarity.

Most people don't actually give a flying fuck about what we do.

• Brohoof 5

@@TheAnimatorOfficial: it makes me sad that you think that fans showing their enthusiasm in this way is an embarrassment to the fandom.  But here's the thing; I also understand how you feel, and I understand where the cringey feeling comes from.  I've even felt it myself, and that fact makes me sad as well, because I don't see any logical reason why I should feel that way.  I don't blame you for feeling this way.  I blame the society that made you feel this way.  I blame the society that teaches us that cosplay is somehow inherently weird, deviant, and immature, and moreover that adults aren't allowed to have fun, as it's seen as childish.

That said, I hope that many bronies cosplay, appropriately, politely, and with consideration for other moviegoers.  I've been planning to wear my Fluttershy yay tee, but after reading this thread, I'm seriously tempted to put together a highly accurate, kick-ass EG Rainbow Dash costume.

The only problem with cosplaying would be if it's indecent or disruptive.  A giant pony suit that wouldn't fit properly in the theatre seats would be an example of disruptive.  I would also assume that covering of the face would be a no-no, as it could considered a security risk.  I'm not sure on that one, but I wouldn't risk wearing a pony head.  But a wig, or ears and a tail?  'Smatter wi' that?

I am scared of the applauding and cheering; I fucking hate it when people do that.

YES.  1000x yes!  Omg, I hate when people go overboard with obnoxious hooting and hollering.  A regular, respectful amount of clapping is fine, and then stop when the movie starts.

• Brohoof 4

YES.  1000x yes!  Omg, I hate when people go overboard with obnoxious hooting and hollering.  A regular, respectful amount of clapping is fine, and then stop when the movie starts.

I never heard clapping before a movie starts and tho I would prefer there be no clapping at all, I wouldn't mind as much during or after the movie.

I am more worried of Bronies being loud and annoying during the movie, than of cosplay.

Or ridiculing parents with little girls as "casual" for that matter :dash: (that happened in an EG apparently :huh:)

• Brohoof 2

I have never been kicked out of a theatre for cosplay. Depending on the level of cosplay and the individual theatres I've been offered free tickets to hang out in the lobby or in front of the theatre between showings to get more people coming in. Of course, that was arranged ahead of time for opening night, but still.

That was very nice of them to do that in exchange for you cosplaying like that.

I am more worried of Bronies being loud and annoying during the movie, than of cosplay.

There is always that possibility given how some bronies behave.

• Brohoof 2

That was very nice of them to do that in exchange for you cosplaying like that.

There is always that possibility given how some bronies behave.

I have an advantage; at the time I was part of an improv acting troupe, and I'm a semi-professional costumer as well. Our troupe director arranged these things for several movies that were coming out. Fantasy movies, sci-fi movies, pirate movies, that kind of thing. As long as it's in-theme for the movie, it's all good.

• Brohoof 2

I have an advantage; at the time I was part of an improv acting troupe, and I'm a semi-professional costumer as well. Our troupe director arranged these things for several movies that were coming out. Fantasy movies, sci-fi movies, pirate movies, that kind of thing. As long as it's in-theme for the movie, it's all good.

And I doubt the cinema would complain since you were drumming up business for them. I take it you're no longer part of this troupe since you did say "was"?

At least where I come from the theater won't kick you if you cosplay. So I wouldn't worry about that.

Also the only person that you would embarrass would be yourself.

• Brohoof 2

subtle cosplay would be fine but unless youve booked a screen out for your own brony group showing, dont go nuts on it.

Im gonna be donning the MLP tops, rainbow wig and goggles but not gonna go too nuts with wings and tails and stuff. 

subtle cosplay would be fine but unless youve booked a screen out for your own brony group showing, dont go nuts on it.

Im gonna be donning the MLP tops, rainbow wig and goggles but not gonna go too nuts with wings and tails and stuff.

Even that will get you kicked out. A MLP shirt and no more. Please.

i dont know where youre from, but over here wearing a fursuit is fine in a cinema as long as you take the head off when in the screen, because the ears/wings block people. No ones gonna give a damn about my rainbow coloured hair. Hell the last time I saw EQG in cinemas, was a brony meet and we took an army of plushies in with us. no fuss there, the staff loved it

• Brohoof 1

You have people in full Stormtrooper and Darth Vader costume getting into films. Dressing as favorite horror icons at movie premiers. In full costume at any DC or Marvel movie premier and in full costume at many Gaming and Anime films. The theater won't kick you out unless you are creating a massive disturbance. I have no idea where you get that nonsense. For them it is increased business and free advertisement.

No one can possibly embarrass this fandom anymore than it has already been embarrassed by situations that have come before. If it makes you feel weird to wear a mane and tail, don't do it... pretty easy... embarrassment adverted. If you are embarrassed because others are doing it, you may want to seek alternatives to a fandom like this one... or fandoms in general for that matter.

Trolls will attack the fandom, and the film even if every single brony/pegasister on earth showed up in tuxedo and tie and formal gown. A couple of people rocking their Rainbow dash outfits are not going to create mass hysteria and unruly mods to start a war on the fandom. You'll possibly get some heckling or some rude comments from some people, but you'll see just as many if not more positive comments from people who know what fun means and can just have a good laugh about it all as well as the kids who get a thrill out of it.

So fuck a bunch of uptight twats who think everyone should be standing in line staring at their shoes and pretending they are on their way to a funeral and making eye contact with anyone else is paramount to sacrilege. This will be a fun film for fans and people to go take their kids to. Not an assembly on equal rights. Go have fun and who cares what anyone else thinks. Or stay home and be bitter that other people are, it does not really matter.

• Brohoof 2

i don't see the problem, trolls don't need bait or even new material, they just keep using the same few 4-chan insults over and over again. the last thing we want to do is not do something fun in real live because a troll might post about it on the internet, do what you want and ignore the trolls

All depends on how far you go with it, in my opinion

A regular costume should be fine, but something with giant horns or loads of make up or whatever should be left at home, so you're not obscuring anyone's view or staining anything

Cosplaying is fine, but you need to think about the other patrons as well

• Brohoof 2

Why not cosplay? Even as a parent of a kid, unless some brony's behavior is inappropriate, someone wearing a fun costume is of no concern. Most parents won't care if they're not bothering their children.

Why else? Because there might be backlash from internet negativos? Oh well. 

I saw people cosplay to Star Wars and there no was problem or embarrassment. 

Don't you know who I am? I'm a teenager! Teenagers don't do as they're told. Now please excuse me as I search online for XL skanky Rainbow Dash costumes.

You need to start listening to reason and following rules, young man! *lectures for 2 hours, Cranky Kong style*

Or ridiculing parents with little girls as "casual" for that matter :dash: (that happened in an EG apparently :huh:)

....wow. They're a special kind of jerk then. 

• Brohoof 7

i've been to enough major events to know that theaters don't typically kick people out.

just a few weeks ago, I saw theater people bring the best cosplayers to the front of the theater so that everyone could appreciate them.

That sounds neat. :) What movie was that?

based on what? Typically, there's usually a "no masks" and "no weapons" rule in theaters (sorry Kylo Ren & Vader cosplayers). A wig won't bring *any* attention.

• Brohoof 1

I don't personally see any issue with it. I mean, everyone has their own opinions and if that's yours, then I respect that.

But for me as I just stated, I see no issue with it and I don't see why they should kick people out for it. That's like someone going to a Star Wars film being dressed as Darth Vader and then getting kicked out for it. As long as it's not an explicit cosplay, obviously. Let people have their fun. You don't live forever, so take every chance that you can to have fun.

But as I said, if that's your opinion, I totally respect that.

• Brohoof 3