Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why doesn't anyone want the Mane 6 to save the day?

heavens-champion

I haven't seen many people arguing that the Mane 6 "Shouldn't" save the day anymore, just that it's okay that they aren't always the one to do so. I still want the Mane six to "Save the day", but I also think it's more than fine that occasionally we let other characters, like the reformed villains do so.

There might be a small minority of people who think the mane six shouldn't anymore, and if I had to guess, I'd assume it's possible they're tired of the M6 and want new main characters, which is certainly not everyone, I know I still want our 6 mares around.

• Brohoof 10

We have seen the Mane 6 save the day too much, it's getting old. I want to see Starlight, Trixie, Discord and minor characters save the day, I know they already have but I don't want it to go back to the mane 6 saving the day. I want to see more focus on other characters then the Mane 6. I don't mind having them around though. 

Edited by StarlightTrixie
  • Brohoof 4

I'd like to see the Mane 5 work together to save Twilight Sparkle,

that could be a nice little change to the usual "Mane 6 save the day" set up.

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 11

I don't think the argument was the Mane6 should no longer save the day, it's that it's so standard that a change of characters would be welcome. We already got that, so I suppose the demand will die a little 

• Brohoof 1

Well if I may say something about this, one of the many reasons (even thought not the main one) I'm going to quit after the Movie, is because unless the S7 proves otherwise, it might be the last production in human history where the Mane 6 are going to save the day.... but even if it wasn't I'm going to quit after it regardless, and you all know why...

I think the more important question is why no one in Equestria recognizes the mane 6 even though they save the day occasionally?

I differ. Since Slice of Life, ponies recognize the Mane6 worldwide, they just don't make a big celebrity buzz about it

that could be a nice little change to the usual "Mane 6 save the day" set up.

Yeah, we already got secondary characters saving the main, so it would be welcome that the Mane6 sans Twi do the work. As these tend to focus a lot more on Twi

• Brohoof 2

Yeah, we already got secondary characters saving the main, so it would be welcome that the Mane6 sans Twi do the work. As these tend to focus a lot more on Twi

I'd be up for this at some point, but I'd argue that maybe season 7 would be a bad time for it, we just had the mane six getting saved, and already we're getting the "Twilight is officially a useless Princess like the others now!" jokes in.

• Brohoof 2

I'd be up for this at some point, but I'd argue that maybe season 7 would be a bad time for it, we just had the mane six getting saved, and already we're getting the "Twilight is officially a useless Princess like the others now!" jokes in.

Nah, I think Twi can take some more of it considering she'd probably save the day AGAIN in the pony movie :dash:

• Brohoof 1

It's a lie, if i tell i wouldn't obtain some satisfaction in this. For all i care, Twilight can suffer the Worf effect one more time, so that the staff's darling GlimGlam takes all the fame.

Congrats, Twilight. You are new Celestia. :P

Edited by Swifty

While it's nice having the Mane Six save the day, it can end becoming redundant and cliché especially if it happens consistently. Having other characters step up isn't necessarily a bad idea as it gives them character development that otherwise wouldn't have been possible before.

• Brohoof 3

It's a lie, if i tell i wouldn't obtain some satisfaction in this. For all i care, Twilight can suffer the Worf effect one more time, so that the staff's darling GlimGlam takes all the fame. Congrats, Twilight. You are new Celestia.

Can't tell if you actually want this, or if this is some sarcasm.

I don't think Starlight really needs to be the main hero again so soon.

A frequent trope used in fiction is that at certain moments, sidekicks and lesser characters get to have a crowning moment of heroism, which is an awesome moment for that character and for the show overall .

Although Starlight, Trixie, Discord and Thorax have reached that goal this past season, I've been hoping to see Big Macintosh get to have a big hero moment ever since the events of "Brotherhooves Social". Maybe this year he'll achieve that goal.

Can't tell if you actually want this, or if this is some sarcasm.

I don't think Starlight really needs to be the main hero again so soon.

I might enter the level of giving no flying feather. Your second favorite pony gets poor treatment almost the entire show and no one gives a shit. Now it feels kind of good, if others get a similar treatment. First changelings, then Twilight. Hopefully, Discord will declare his love to Fluttershy in season seven. Oh boy...:P

I'm cool with the season 6 finale, but that doesn't mean I don't want the mane six to save the day anymore. I just think it was a nice change of pace, that's all. I echo sentiments that the rest of the mane six should save Twilight at some point in a premiere or finale since she always seems to be the one to do the saving. I mean, Fluttershy played a big role in defeating Starlight the first time and that's cool, but I want to see more of that since most season finales involve Twilight saving the day. If her friends are around they're pretty much useless, even though we know that they're also quite capable. It's actually a tad unfortunate that secondary characters got to shine in a finale while they still haven't really. I still maintain that the season 6 finale is a nice change of pace, but here's hoping Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Rarity and Pinkie Pie will get their time to shine.

• Brohoof 1

We have seen the Mane 6 save the day too much, it's getting old. I want to see Starlight, Trixie, Discord and minor characters save the day, I know they already have but I don't want it to go back to the mane 6 saving the day. I want to see more focus on other characters then the Mane 6. I don't mind having them around though. 

Well, I want the main characters to stay the main characters.

• Brohoof 1

Before the finale I heard a lot of people saying this but after that they did not like mane 6 needing rescue. I suppose you never can please everyone.

I loved the finale but I feel it should be its own thing and a conclusion to "Starlight's season" and the villain redemptions. Not a trend. But I would love something like a three part premiere or finale where 2 stories were happening in two episodes and the third was a conclusion to both. So more characters had room to shine.

But more important is the other mane 6 than Twilight getting a more to do. I do not have a problem with this the same way some do, she is in the end the main protagonists and her element is magic which fists best for these kind of situations. And she has the most knowledge and a leadership role in Equestria. But it would be a good change. It does not mean she needs to be rescued. If you remember she already was in season 4 premiere twice from the forest creatures and now with the rest in season 6 finale. Others can have more to do even with Twilight around.

• Brohoof 1

Because Twilight is an alicorn, only extinction-level events can challenge her. She's way too powerful; the same problem that Superman generally has. Nine times out of ten he's untouchable unless you have Kryptonite and/or can blow up a planet. Relying on Twilight and magical Deus ex Machinas is getting old. For once I want to see the most popular background ponies save the day while the villain is made smaller in terms of scale to NOT require an automatic "I win" button.

• Brohoof 1

Because Twilight is an alicorn, only extinction-level events can challenge her. She's way too powerful; the same problem that Superman generally has. Nine times out of ten he's untouchable unless you have Kryptonite and/or can blow up a planet. Relying on Twilight and magical Deus ex Machinas is getting old. For once I want to see the most popular background ponies save the day while the villain is made smaller in terms of scale to NOT require an automatic "I win" button.

Lul she ain't that powerful by a stretch. And technically she isn't doing half the work when the elements of harmony do everything, she only triggers it.

• Brohoof 1

Lul she ain't that powerful by a stretch. And technically she isn't doing half the work when the elements of harmony do everything, she only triggers it.

I think its more contrast issues; Its more that she's drastically larger in power than those that she's surrounded by-- She's not that she's untouchable, but that there's such a massive death in power between her and the other 5 that any world threatening events that twilight Can't handle are generally things that the other 5 Can't contribute meaningfully to.

This is shown very well in the comics during the Cattle rustler arc (As much as I hate bringing that one up) where Twilight was able to solve the issue in a heartbeat without even giving the villains the chance to FIGHT back with her magic, but the other 5 were utterly impotent against them when they tried to fight. So pretty much anything that would challenge Twilight, the other 5 can't help with.

Look at episodes like the crystalling for example: the other 5's roles are basically just handling Gofer work while, when it comes to actually FIXING the problem, you need someone of Twilight's Level to actually have an effect-- The other 5 aren't magical enough to aid in the reconstruction spell, they have Zero magical knowledge to help figure out a way to repair it, they're not nearly up to the task of helping to hold back the clouds, ect. The only thing they can do is babysit and stall angry ponies outside the palace.

To a limited effect, a similar thing happened in the Crystal empire where the other 5 were relegated to stalling while twilight went to actually Save the day.

Previously, the EOH were a Guaranteed Tie in for them that, in SOME WAY the other 5 were needed to save the day and fix the problems even IF twilight was Drastically more powerful than them, since they could introduce a God Tier threat that needed ANOTHER God tier power (the EOH) to beat-- However, as the EOH is now GONE, the other 5 have essentially had their Guarantee removed, and as such Power level differences have become drastically more noticeable.

Basically, now that the EOH are gone, the other 5 have no way to contribute if a threat is more powerful than Twilight, apart from something outright REMOVING twilight's powers, like in the S5 premier.

Edited by Unlikeable Pony