Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you think about Sunset Shimmers? ^^

ChikaChan

This is what I wrote for the Pony Community Soapbox over on Equestria Daily and my second overall blog on this site.

"Sunset Shimmer has become my favourite character in the entire MLP series. Why is that? I can relate to her especially on a personal level. I've been through similar things to what she has endured such as being cast aside by one's peers. I also loved how she was able to overcome those problems despite there being times where everything looked dire. She still has doubts about her reformation through insecure moments that she struggles to deal with, and she does retain some facet of her bully persona through losing her temper when things don't go right for her. Yet, we've seen her grown from being a forgettable villain into arguably one of the most popular characters in MLP who continues overcoming the odds, and allowing us to come along for the ride even when it gets rough at times."

• Brohoof 3

She had an interesting backstory in the first movie, but ultimately ended up being an uninteresting antagonist, that I didn't care much for.

However, Rainbow Rocks with how it handled Sunset's reformation, has made me really really come around and be invested with her struggles and character.

She is one of my absolute favorite FIM characters.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

Her appearances in Rainbow Rocks and Friendship Games made her one of my favourite characters. Then Legend of Everfree made her boring, but she's still up there based on those previous two appearances alone. 

Boring villain... great hero in RR despite little connective tissue to herself as a villain... then all downhill from there, still okay in FG but the signs of her decline vs RR are there and then in LoE she's basically S4 Twilight: Human Edition, completely boring. Hopefully she can be fixed but right now she's pretty much fallowed Twilight's path for the most part.

She's awesome, and i hope she comes over to FIM(Starlight X Trixie X Sunset?)

Having said that I could totally ship this

Edited by M'gann M'orzz

Thoroughly 'meh' in pretty much every regard.  EQG in general is very much the poor cousin of the entire expanded MLP universe in my own humble opinion.  Not bad by any means, I've still watched them all, they're just nowhere near as good as FiM or the comics.

Sunset was a very poor villain, with weak motivation and after her extremely unconvincing reformation she still fails to garner any interest from me.  She has a pretty cool design, but beyond that I can't say much positive about her.

• 1 month later...

In EQG, her backstory as an old student of Princess Celestia's was a bit cliche, but otherwise interesting. Sadly as a villain she was absolutely rubbish and she had no personality whatsoever.

Then, in RR, suddenly we got to see another side of her and she developed into a great character with an actual personality. From that moment on, she's been one of my favorite characters. I like her personality, how she's regaining her confidence as the EQG movies go on, and how she's effectively become the leader of the Humane Six/Seven.

To me Sunset is kind of a mirror, but also an idol.

I can relate to her the most out of the franchise, especially to the Sunset in the first and the one in the second movie.

I might not be a school bully and I have never been one, but just like Sunset I want to be the best and can not stand it when someone is better in something than I am...What can lead to sudden aggression outbreaks.

I also do not really respect my teachers and skip school a lot to learn things I am actually interested in and in my own way (I guess, you could count this to "Sunset leaving Celestia"?).

But I am also an outcast like she was in Rainbow Rocks, and in Legend of Everfree I could also realte to her teasing Sci. That is kind of how I am when I am feeling comfortable around people.

But the main thing, why I can relate to her, is her struggle with forgiving and forgetting her past.

The end of the second movie is when Sunset also became an idol to me, even though I am not really interested in making friends.

I hope we will see her in the show sometime. sig-4811944.mlp-sunhug.png

Edited by Aya. K.
  • Brohoof 1

To me Sunset is kind of a mirror, but also an idol.

I can relate to her the most out of the franchise, especially to the Sunset in the first and the one in the second movie.

I might not be a school bully and I have never been one, but just like Sunset I want to be the best and can not stand it when someone is better in something than I am...What can lead to sudden aggression outbreaks.

I also do not really respect my teachers and skip school a lot to learn things I am actually interested in and in my own way (I guess, you could count this to "Sunset leaving Celestia"?).

But I am also an outcast like she was in Rainbow Rocks, and in Legend of Everfree I could also realte to her teasing Sci. That is kind of how I am when I am feeling comfortable around people.

But the main thing, why I can realte to her, is her struggle with forgiving and forgetting her past.

The end of the second movie is when Sunset became also an idol to me, even though I am not really interested in making friends.

I hope we will see her in the show sometime. :I

I do not believe she will ever appear in the show, she is the face of Equestria Girls (imo) Her character inspires me, I feel as if she is an idol to me as well, her development in RR is honestly the greatest part of the Equestria Girls franchise. I am a regular to Rainbow Rocks, it is one of my favorite movies. I know how Sunset Shimmer feels in that movie every day of my life. I let it frustrate me completely a few times, but I am completely running with what I get from MLP and how i feel. I feel the same type of hot headedness and anxiety that Sunset sometimes puts off, and you know her intentions really have changed, shes just emotional and the stress gets to her at those moments. Friendship Games was equally as incredible, they really kind of kept up with developing Sunset and her new perspective, and its shown that, you know possibly with enough of that progressive effort to truly be a go to friend, it will work, as it did for Sunset. When she sings at the end of Rainbow Rocks, it can bring me to tears, every time when that mic rolls up to her and she puts off her verse. She sets my soul on fire, there,  i get that feeling of anxiety in my stomach, its truly incredible, not many things have given me feelings as MLP has at certain moments, but this movie makes me revere the work of Megan Mccarthy, because Rainbow Rocks is just literally a muse for those persecuted, alienated, frustrated and alone.

• Brohoof 1

I do not believe she will ever appear in the show, she is the face of Equestria Girls (imo) Her character inspires me, I feel as if she is an idol to me as well, her development in RR is honestly the greatest part of the Equestria Girls franchise. I am a regular to Rainbow Rocks, it is one of my favorite movies. I know how Sunset Shimmer feels in that movie every day of my life. I let it frustrate me completely a few times, but I am completely running with what I get from MLP and how i feel. I feel the same type of hot headedness and anxiety that Sunset sometimes puts off, and you know her intentions really have changed, shes just emotional and the stress gets to her at those moments. Friendship Games was equally as incredible, they really kind of kept up with developing Sunset and her new perspective, and its shown that, you know possibly with enough of that progressive effort to truly be a go to friend, it will work, as it did for Sunset. When she sings at the end of Rainbow Rocks, it can bring me to tears, every time when that mic rolls up to her and she puts off her verse. She sets my soul on fire, there,  i get that feeling of anxiety in my stomach, its truly incredible, not many things have given me feelings as MLP has at certain moments, but this movie makes me revere the work of Megan Mccarthy, because Rainbow Rocks is just literally a muse for those persecuted, alienated, frustrated and alone.

I know that we will probably never see her in the show, since she is THE equestria girl. But it would still be nice, though...

The only song in the MLP franchise that made me actually tear up was Sunset's song "My Past is Not Today", but her part in "Welcome to the Show" almost achieved this.

I can also relate to her depression and anxiety. If I need a bit courage I am often wearing a Sunset necklace. mlp-sunhappy.png

• Brohoof 1

I know that we will probably never see her in the show, since she is THE equestria girl. But it would still be nice, though...

The only song in the MLP franchise that made me actually tear up was Sunset's song "My Past is Not Today", but her part in "Welcome to the Show" almost achieved this.

I can also relate to her depression and anxiety. If I need a bit courage I am often wearing a Sunset necklace. mlp-sunhappy.png

Her face there is something about it, I have this gold shelled fillable zippo that I use with Sunset Shimmer on the front (eg style). I am about to make an impulsive and crazy and counter productive decision, and I look at Sunset, clutch my lighter, and in this case literally turned around. It literally plays with my heart when I see her. It has become the cure of my intent.  once before, It was honestly kind of crazy, i felt like crap, but I knew what was right for me to do, and I always think about her when I am thinking about personal progression. Its like, Sunset Shimmer just genuinely makes me feel hope,

• Brohoof 1

Her face there is something about it, I have this gold shelled fillable zippo that I use with Sunset Shimmer on the front (eg style). I am about to make an impulsive and crazy and counter productive decision, and I look at Sunset, clutch my lighter, and in this case literally turned around. It literally plays with my heart when I see her. It has become the cure of my intent.  once before, It was honestly kind of crazy, i felt like crap, but I knew what was right for me to do, and I always think about her when I am thinking about personal progression. Its like, Sunset Shimmer just genuinely makes me feel hope,

Yeah, I know what you mean.

When I am outside I can look at the necklace and listen to her songs (Rebecca's voice always makes me feel better ~), and at home I have a picture of her that I drew when I was bored at school, as well as merchandise. Sunset simply keeps me calm.

Edited by Aya. K.
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...