Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is your opinion on the traditional open-back hospital gown?

Zantetsuken

Ok so I know this may seem like a weird and oddly specific question to ask but I'm just curious about this.

So since I like to look up random stuff when I'm bored I decided to look up hospitals one day and saw a couple articles talking about how the traditional open-back hospital gown makes patients feel uncomfortable and strips them of their modesty and makes them feel exposed. I suppose the biggest criticism is that while walking around the hospital a tie can come undone and show something you don't want others to see. I'am also aware that some hospitals have adopted what they call modesty gowns that open at the sides rather than the back but many hospitals still use the traditional gown.

So while I have been able to find articles I haven't been able to find many examples or stories of patients actually feeling this way so that's why I'm here today.

I'am wondering if anyone here has ever had to go to the hospital for an extended period of time or a surgery or something, and had to wear an open-back hospital gown. If so, did you feel at all exposed, or stripped of your modesty, or awkward, or intimidated, or anything these articles claim? Or did you even care or have any thoughts about having to wear it in general?

I can't really know or speak for myself as the last time I can remember having to wear a hospital gown it seemed to be one of those new ones and not one that tied at the back.

That's all I have so yeah...

Edited by Zantetsuken
  • Brohoof 2

The gowns aren't meant to be flattering, or modest. They're meant to be easily removable from a patient lying on their back if necessary for any reason.

I don't like wearing them, either, but then I try to stay out of hospitals whenever possible.

• Brohoof 2

I don't care for open-backed gowns. I know the medical professionals may justify the use of them by saying they're easy to remove and get to the patient underneath, but let's be honest, patients aren't meat and don't like feeling that way when they're already in a vulnerable situation as it is. If the doctors can't, with all of their education, figure out how to get the thing off, then get creative and take a knife to it or come up with a better design altogether. 

When I have to be in the hospital, I wear two gowns, one layered over the other, backwards and forwards, so everything is covered when I have to go strutting around the public halls. If the doc can't find his way to the goodies inside, that ain't my problem.  :proud:

• Brohoof 1

I've worn them before, but I was drugged and stationary when I did, so I don't have much negative to say about them, besides they could be a little warmer.

The one I mentioned having to wear in the first post actually had a way to heat up that I could use it if I wanted. However I never had time or reason to. Much like you despite the fact that mine was not open-back I was drugged and stationary for my duration of time wearing it was well. I was also at the hospital for only about 3 or 4ish hours, I was there to get my wisdom teeth removed.

I've had to go to the hospital a couple of times before where I had to wear one of those. It felt a bit dehumanizing to me. I get a bit nervous and somewhat frightened when it comes to going to the hospital or doctor's and the gown really doesn't help and triggers more nervousness. On top of that, yeah, there's the modesty angle. Fortunately at the hospital I went to, there are very few reasons for leaving the room. Food is delivered and each room has a toilet.

​I was in the hospital pretty recently and when I was there, they made me put two hospital gowns on.  One backwards and one forwards, they made everyone do this that was in there.  I'm guessing it was like that in other places in the hospital too.  So it made me wonder, if they made people wear two gowns in the first place, why don't they redesign the gowns altogether so patients only need one?  I woke up from my surgery wearing only one gown but they later gave me another one since it was cold and I was staying overnight at the hospital.  I didn't feel anything about having to wear a gown, it was just something I had to wear.  I typically like to wear pants and I wasn't allowed to wear underwear due to the type of surgery I had so it did feel a bit odd wearing only the gowns but it was necessary.

They are pretty outdated as far as design goes. They have some minor positives in case of some emergency, but as uncomfortable as they make people feel whom are already uncomfortable without the gown adding to it, I think the cons outweigh the pros. They are easy enough to remove with shears in an emergency, and the decency a better design would provide would do wonders for how some people feel in a hospital.

Of course as many as I have had to wear you would think I would be used to them.

• Brohoof 2

Something that I forgot in the original post.

I am sort of surprised that according to what I have read in some articles, a lot of patients who ended up wearing hospital gowns didn't actually need to wear them let alone with no underwear. It sort of makes me question how useful and needed these things really are. As a lot of people pointed out, it really is only useful for quick removal during surgery or in an emergency but that's it and beyond that it dose nothing but make you feel weak and exposed.

I wonder why hospitals don't make it clear that the patient can have the option to wear more in certain situations. Maybe they just don't tell you cause it makes their job easier if you are wearing the gown.

Edited by Zantetsuken

I wonder why hospitals don't make it clear that the patient can have the option to wear more in certain situations. Maybe they just don't tell you cause it makes their job easier if you are wearing the gown.

Or it could also be that patients simply don't ask. Usually the relationship between the doctor and patient is awkward and it just goes past their heads.