Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My Little Pony: Fighting Is Magic

Discordian

Maybe they could change their designs just so the trademark coudln't be applied. Messing a bit with their cutie marks, names ect. Like they did in a certain Hoofy comic. It wouldn't be an experience changing difference and hasbro would have to stay silent. 

BTW bumping the petition link. (Get your family, get your friends I WANT TO SEE 20K IN THE NEXT 24 HOURS!!!)

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/526/847/063/allow-the-continuation-of-the-development-of-mane6s-mlp-fighting-is-magic/#13607955827152&action=fb_connect&fb_id=0

Edited by Millfox
  • Brohoof 1

Hasbro owns all legal copyright to everything MLP:FIM. It's getting ridiculous with everyone pretending Hasbro is doing something wrong and terrible by protecting their legal property.  It's very simple.

A... Fighting is Magic, even if distributed free, would undermine any licensed games being prepared right now. I know Hasbro has awarded at least one game company the rights to produce a pony game. If a professionally designed game came out for free, right about the time the licensed game hit the market, which do you think people would get?

B... Hasbro does not want their image linked to a FIGHTING game starring MLP:FIM characters. It would harm their image if something like that was released.

C... Hasbro HAS to protect their copyrights. If they let Fighting Is Magic slide, they would weaken their legal standing. If they didn't send the cease and desist, it would be in effect giving permission. That would lead to more infringements. Where should Hasbro draw the line? Should they wait for other companies to start openly selling products with their characters on them? By then it would be too late. They would have let their copyrighted characters become public domain.

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 5

I don't see how that is a valid point. Unless you can point out gaming/cartoon creepypastas (Tails Doll, Ben Drowned, Squidward's Suicide...) or saucy/gory fanfics/games/movies (Cupcakes, Shed.mov, Story of the Blanks...) being removed, because all of that can be said to "hurt the companies' images". And honestly, I think that's (way more objectionable)

One big difference, though: Those 'creepypastas' have NOWHERE near the kind of widespread popularity (realized or potential) as Fighting. Therefore, while such things do exist, Hasbro has no reason to think they WILL hurt its image. Those things aren't in a position to compete with Hasbro's IP, much less in its target demographic.

But Fighting was getting major press, a lot of attention, and was apparently on its way to becoming mainstream. That means competition.

Also, there's lots of precedent for young children being exposed to violent video games, no matter how well-intentioned their creators are about keeping them to the Teen+ crowd. Hasbro then has to defend its IP so, among other things, they won't have an angry parent accusing them of condoning the use of their characters to teach violence.

One big difference, though: Those 'creepypastas' have NOWHERE near the kind of widespread popularity (realized or potential) as Fighting. Therefore, while such things do exist, Hasbro has no reason to think they WILL hurt its image. Those things aren't in a position to compete with Hasbro's IP, much less in its target demographic.

Oh yeah, Cupcakes definitely isn't going around the Internet, where it's very difficult to lie about one's age. Also, Ben Drowned hasn't become known to a large portion of the LoZ gamer community.

But even if that was true, Fighting is Magic is nowhere nearly as "violent" as one might pretend. It contains cartoon violence, much like Mario or Spyro or Pokemon.

If Hasbro is worried THAT might ruin their image for little girls or their parents... I don't know what would NOT worry them.

Furthermore, Hasbro is not making any such games, is it? Therefore this one does NOT compete with their stuff.

It's not like kids who like Fighting is Magic are gonna decide not to get a Dash plushie or Derpy doll.

Edited by Feather Spiral

The truth is we don't have any idea what games Hasbro has in development, or even on the drawing board.  

The point about the pony-violence may be valid, given that the premise of the show is friendship, and FiM turned that completely on its head with both title and content.  The fact that it's cartoon violence is irrelevant; it's still friends beating on friends.  Most of us understand it's just for fun, totally non-canon, but how many younger kids (or clueless mothers) will get the wrong idea, especially as polished as it looks?  It looks like something the official creators could have released.

Now, Hasbro could surprise us all, and allow MLP characters to be included in the next Super Smash Brothers game, negating everything I just said above in the name of profits...but for now, I'll stick with that as one of their reasons for clamping down.

Cuteycindyhoney has said all that really needs to be said about the matter though.  Whether we think it's 'fair' or not, just because we love something and are big fans of it does not give us free rein to do whatever we wish with another individual or company's intellectual property.  Pointing out other infringements and saying 'but THEY did it without consequences!' accomplishes nothing.  Either Hasbro doesn't regard those other infringements as a threat, isn't aware of them, or will get to them in time.  They have been extremely lenient with us up until recently.  I hope most of you realize that.

Should we stop creating content in the Equestria universe?  No, I won't encourage that.  The brony community has created a lot of wonderful things.  I do think we should regard FiM as an object lesson though.  When undertaking a project of that magnitude, creating something that looks like a professionally-crafted and marketable product, getting a blessing from someone in authority (in writing!) wouldn't be a bad idea.  Hindsight is 20/20, yes, I know, but the best we can hope for at this point is to learn from a mistake and hope not to repeat it.

If in the future Hasbro becomes more draconian in their enforcement of copyright/trademarks, closing down sites right and left, we'll be forced to either shift underground or move to all-original content with no mention of trademarked characters and properties.  Not an easy proposition.

Oh yeah, Cupcakes definitely isn't going around the Internet, where it's very difficult to lie about one's age. Also, Ben Drowned hasn't become known to a large portion of the LoZ gamer community.

But even if that was true, Fighting is Magic is nowhere nearly as "violent" as one might pretend. It contains cartoon violence, much like Mario or Spyro or Pokemon.

If Hasbro is worried THAT might ruin their image for little girls or their parents... I don't know what would NOT worry them.

Furthermore, Hasbro is not making any such games, is it? Therefore this one does NOT compete with their stuff.

It's not like kids who like Fighting is Magic are gonna decide not to get a Dash plushie or Derpy doll.

You missed one key point. The story "Cupcakes" was launched anonymously onto the internet, and spread like wildfire before Hasbro learned of it's existence. It's doubtful if anyone would be able to stop it now. Fighting Is Magic was talked about for months, effectively ruining any chance of release by giving Hasbro plenty of time to think about it, and then take legal action to block it. If some author bragged for months on end that he was going to write a viscous nasty (Poorly written, I read it!) story about MLP:FIM characters, Hasbro would have sent him a cease and desist order too. Perhaps even a list of psychologists in his local area! 

Hasbro HAS granted a license to at least one game company to produce a game. That most likely made them take the legal stand that they did. While not making any money itself, it would be in direct competition with a legally licensed product. 

Finally, I have to say this. What is it that people have such a hard time understanding about this whole situation? Hasbro holds all legal copyright to everything MLP:FIM. It is one hundred percent their property. They have every right to refuse others from using their material in any way they don't approve of. It isn't Hasbro being mean and nasty. They are for the most part ignoring the titanic amount of fan art and stories being produced on a daily basis. Fighting is Magic just pushed things too far with all the promotion it was getting. Hasbro pretty much HAD to take legal action to prevent weakening their legal standing as regards to the copyrights they hold. I don't condone it, but if the makers of Fighting is Magic kept their mouths shut, it may have been a different story. If they kept it secret and just released the game anonymously when finished, it may have had a chance to spread like "Cupcakes" before legal action could be taken. People are talking about "Oh, I hope they leak what they have." It's far too late for that now. Hasbro would be in position to sue them for vast amounts of money for ignoring the C-D order if the unfinished game suddenly started spreading all over the net.

• Brohoof 2

Hasbro HAS to protect their copyrights.

Ummmm... Cindy? Isn't the trademarks that are in danger on behalf of Hasbro? Beacuse, I read the whole thing and I believe it's the trademark that is in danger on behalf of Hasbro.

Anyway, guys, something I was told about the whole Trademark issue is that, apparently, Hasbro isn't in legal need to do anything against whoever is breaking the the part of the IP matter unless this is told by a third party. AKA, I'd have to say someone from outside Hasbro pointed it in their direction, which if it is true, then it was bound to happen sooner or later, with or without EVO popularity.

And finally, I want to leave these little links.

http://www.roundstable.com/2012/12/13/friendship-is-a-registered-trademark/

http://www.roundstable.com/2013/01/22/friendship-is-a-registered-trademark-ii-my-little-takedown-notice/

These articles were written prior to Fighting is Magic's C&D letter. I believe they do a marvelous job at explaining why the things that were taken down so far had to be taken down on behalf of Hasbro, and give some nice insights about the whole trademark subject, and also, a difference between the word "trademark" and the word "copyright" which is not the one that's at danger in Hasbro right now.

Guys, there really isn't much we can do for ourselves. I still have hope that Mane6 manages to file some sort of arrangement with Hasbro. And I also am of the ones that believe that Hasbro didn't want to take the game down. They HAD to. So please, cut Hasbro some slack. Let's show a bit more support to them and not ultimately rage all hell on this last weeks.

Now, was I upset when the game was taken down? Yes. Yes I very was. I was actually starting to play the leak just a bit more than a week ago before the C&D lettr came and it was really disappointing to see that happening. But, I honestly can't blame Hasbro right now. So yeah... we need to chill for a bit. :mellow:

Plus, the Mane6 team have been acting as a professional team for the most part. They aren't going to pull a "VIVA LA REVOLUTION!" and just leak whatever. NO, they are going to try to do it all nice and clean. Maybe they'll leak something, maybe not. And while I definitely wouldn't mind if Mane6 leaked something or an unfinished version or whatever, I also know that the team is too respectful to pull a "Screw everything" just like that.

Edited by Arcanel
  • Brohoof 1

But even if that was true, Fighting is Magic is nowhere nearly as "violent" as one might pretend. It contains cartoon violence, much like Mario or Spyro or Pokemon. If Hasbro is worried THAT might ruin their image for little girls or their parents... I don't know what would NOT worry them.

There are several points I want to make about this:

(1) The 'creepypastas' and saucy/gory fics we're discussing: If they ever did get to the level of popularity that Fighting did, Hasbro may very well have reason to think they'd get in front of its target demographic (little kids), and then I would not be at all surprised to see their creators and the sites that host them get C&D orders.

(2) FIghting may not be strongly violent, but as a fighting game, it is still violent.  Further, the comparison to Mario, Spyro and Pokemon: Those are games and franchises that were built for the express purpose of fighting in various ways.  Yes, it's cartoon violence, but it's still a form of it.  Those franchises have very little educational value - they are made strictly for interactive entertainment in which the point is to win.  On the other hand, at MLP's core is friendship, love and wholesome life values very distant from fighting for the sake of fighting.  Do the characters fight?  Yes, but they have reasons to fight, and when they fight with one another, it's because they have a disagreement or are annoyed with one another, and they always work it out and become better friends to one another as a result.

But a game like Fighting is Magic necessarily goes against that - if it's even remotely like Street Fighter (one-on-one fighting) or Streets of Rage (cooperative fighting), then the whole point of the game is fighting for the sake of fighting, and Hasbro has good reason to oppose its IP being used for that purpose.

And (3): Hasbro really does have a lot to worry about with its franchise.  Maintaining a franchise that appeals to children without promoting violence is very difficult - history has shown that, for children, violence sells.  There have been hundreds of successful products marketed to boys featuring military vehicles and action figures, weapons, armor, etc., based on franchises built around fighting.  On the other hand, there have been relatively few successful and enduring "peaceful" products, most of them aimed at girls, and the vast majority of those merely enforcing gender stereotypes (specifically, that it's the woman's job to cook, clean house and take care of baby).  There have been entire books written on this subject.  So, given all of this, I agree with CuteyCindyHoney that we really should cut Hasbro some slack here - they have been astoundingly lenient with us already.

Furthermore, Hasbro is not making any such games, is it? Therefore this one does NOT compete with their stuff. It's not like kids who like Fighting is Magic are gonna decide not to get a Dash plushie or Derpy doll.

Hasbro is unlikely to make (or license) any fighting games based on Friendship is Magic, but (a) the existence of ANY popular, high-quality, free game in the same universe, regardless of its subject matter, means direct and unlawful competition to any commercial games they do produce or license out, and (b ) this subject matter in particular goes against the grain of the franchise, and especially since the game's creators reportedly paid great attention to detail to make the characters match the show as closely as possible.  Even if it's not an issue of kids learning that it's okay for Rainbow Dash to beat the crap out of Fluttershy, such a thing would still cause confusion as to whether Hasbro had indeed made or licensed the game.  (Yes, there might be notices all over the game and the site saying "Hasbro didn't make this", but you can't expect a seven-year-old girl to read and understand that.)

Edited by Harvan
  • Brohoof 1

(1) The 'creepypastas' and saucy/gory fics we're discussing: If they ever did get to the level of popularity that Fighting did, Hasbro may very well have reason to think they'd get in front of its target demographic (little kids), and then I would not be at all surprised to see their creators and the sites that host them get C&D orders.

There are three big sources of media in today's time.  Text, graphical and musical.  While some of those stories are written anonymously I've heard way more about fanfics than I ever have of FiM (while FiM is popular in the fandom it doesn't hit a few niche brony places I hang around at).  I don't know; in terms of fanfics I've always felt the most work was just brainstorming and not actually writing it down (which is relatively effortless except proper usage of the English language).

Art, animation and music has that sort of feel to it to where one can see or hear what the person behind it wants everyone else to perceive it as.  A fanfic about Fighting is Magic (even if it were popular) probably wouldn't be a big of problem as the actual game.

If that makes sense.

• Brohoof 1

There are three big sources of media in today's time. Text, graphical and musical. While some of those stories are written anonymously I've heard way more about fanfics than I ever have of FiM (while FiM is popular in the fandom it doesn't hit a few niche brony places I hang around at). I don't know; in terms of fanfics I've always felt the most work was just brainstorming and not actually writing it down (which is relatively effortless except proper usage of the English language).

Ah, but there's the rub: YOU are familiar with fanfics more than Fighting because you're active in the Brony fandom, where such things are prevalant.  The kids that Hasbro is making the show and the toys for are not.  In that market, something like Fighting is much more likely to get their attention than even the most popular x-rated fan-fic posted on FimFiction.net (or wherever).

Ah, but there's the rub: YOU are familiar with fanfics more than Fighting because you're active in the Brony fandom, where such things are prevalant.  The kids that Hasbro is making the show and the toys for are not.  In that market, something like Fighting is much more likely to get their attention than even the most popular x-rated fan-fic posted on FimFiction.net (or wherever).

Part of my arduous trek required me for nearly 9 months severing myself completely from the fandom in terms of even just browsing it (as I've joked I won't touch it with a ten foot pole or my wave cannon).  So overall my activity in the fandom is nonexistent.  Of course the rub here was that i was placed in a position of observing a few thousand users in that time frame which ultimately means that I can only look at my observations and not my own personal experience.

Even though I understand entirely why they had to take it down, and I can't blame Hasbro for what they did, it's still a shame. I've followed progress on that game for the last couple of years, and I was really looking forward to it. Granted, with copyrights being what they are, I'm surprised it took Hasbro as long as it did to stop them. I feel bad for the team, doing all that work and then having to cease fire.

• Brohoof 1

Ummmm... Cindy? Isn't the trademarks that are in danger on behalf of Hasbro? Beacuse, I read the whole thing and I believe it's the trademark that is in danger on behalf of Hasbro.

Anyway, guys, something I was told about the whole Trademark issue is that, apparently, Hasbro isn't in legal need to do anything against whoever is breaking the the part of the IP matter unless this is told by a third party. AKA, I'd have to say someone from outside Hasbro pointed it in their direction, which if it is true, then it was bound to happen sooner or later, with or without EVO popularity.

And finally, I want to leave these little links.

http://www.roundstable.com/2012/12/13/friendship-is-a-registered-trademark/

http://www.roundstable.com/2013/01/22/friendship-is-a-registered-trademark-ii-my-little-takedown-notice/

These articles were written prior to Fighting is Magic's C&D letter. I believe they do a marvelous job at explaining why the things that were taken down so far had to be taken down on behalf of Hasbro, and give some nice insights about the whole trademark subject, and also, a difference between the word "trademark" and the word "copyright" which is not the one that's at danger in Hasbro right now.

Guys, there really isn't much we can do for ourselves. I still have hope that Mane6 manages to file some sort of arrangement with Hasbro. And I also am of the ones that believe that Hasbro didn't want to take the game down. They HAD to. So please, cut Hasbro some slack. Let's show a bit more support to them and not ultimately rage all hell on this last weeks.

Now, was I upset when the game was taken down? Yes. Yes I very was. I was actually starting to play the leak just a bit more than a week ago before the C&D lettr came and it was really disappointing to see that happening. But, I honestly can't blame Hasbro right now. So yeah... we need to chill for a bit. :mellow:

Plus, the Mane6 team have been acting as a professional team for the most part. They aren't going to pull a "VIVA LA REVOLUTION!" and just leak whatever. NO, they are going to try to do it all nice and clean. Maybe they'll leak something, maybe not. And while I definitely wouldn't mind if Mane6 leaked something or an unfinished version or whatever, I also know that the team is too respectful to pull a "Screw everything" just like that.

Trademark, copyright. I may have used the wrong word, but you know everything I said is true. People are so quick to jump up and down going...

"Oh, Hasbro is so evil! How dare they not let everyone do anything they want with characters that Hasbro owns ALL LEGAL RIGHTS to!"

It's getting downright stupid, and making the Brony community as a whole look like a collection of simpering idiots. It's downright embarrassing. Hasbro OWNS MLP:FIM. It is their legal right to block anyone from making a game featuring the characters that they own. It's that simple. It's a shame that Mane6 wasted all of their time, but I would hardly call it professional to take a corporation's legally owned characters, and create a fighting game around them without seeking permission first. It would have been acting professional if Mane6 created some concept art, and contacted Hasbro with their idea. The reason they didn't, was because they knew from the very start that Hasbro would never permit a fighting game featuring ponies. To top off the purely amateur blunder of creating a game without corporate permission, they bragged about it all over the internet for months. They were practically daring Hasbro to do something. Well, Hasbro did. Oh well. Too bad, so sad. Frankly, if it were me, I would have created a game with all original characters and tried to SELL IT!

• Brohoof 2

It's a shame that Mane6 wasted all of their time, but I would hardly call it professional to take a corporation's legally owned characters, and create a fighting game around them without seeking permission first. It would have been acting professional if Mane6 created some concept art, and contacted Hasbro with their idea. The reason they didn't, was because they knew from the very start that Hasbro would never permit a fighting game featuring ponies. To top off the purely amateur blunder of creating a game without corporate permission, they bragged about it all over the internet for months. They were practically daring Hasbro to do something. Well, Hasbro did. Oh well. Too bad, so sad. Frankly, if it were me, I would have created a game with all original characters and tried to SELL IT!

Bragged about it? They did what pretty much every pony fan game project has done so far. Create a main page. Answer questions that they felt they could answer. Give updates on how the game is evolving.

This is the same thing My Little Investigations, Welcome To Ponyville, Ponykart and Super Smash Ponies are all doing on their own (I believe this four are the biggest projects at the moment). Most of the people that are doing this fan projects are doing this for fun, not because they were aware they were going to make a change.

If could even blame something on Mane6 was maybe try and decide if they should ask Hasbro for permission when the whole EVO thing came up on BOTH times, which wasn't even their fault, considering, it's not their fault on of their organizers, who goes by the name of Mr. Wizard, liked their game so much he wanted them at EVO. And the same thing happened again when Fighting is Magic was fighting to get (before the change was made) become PART OF THE MAIN CAST OF GAMES AT EVO. For any self-respected player that knows about EVO and that develops a new game out of nowhere and especially if this came out for fun, this is not something you can just digest easily. THOUSANDS watch EVO and participate in it too every year. Do you really think everyone can just take it easy and not even squeal at the prospect of that? Irony is, they were doing things a a project of their own and with the people they were having was supposed to as. Nobody just expected for them to act professionally in the same way you are mentioning! They were doing this for fun the same way everyone else who is creating a pony fan game is doing so. We relied on Hasbro not doing anything because Hasbro let us go with our merry ways. Did Mane6 want to create a game that was a fighting game on its own ponies aside? Yes. But hey, what can you do. They combined the things they liked at the moment. Fighting and ponies. it really seems a bit unfair that you blame for wanting to do that especially when this project has gone on for so long and which nobody really expected Hasbro to do anyything because Hasbro didn't until now.

Bragging the project would have doing everything possible to make themselves known and stuff. Now, how did they became REALLY known? Simple EVO, which was due by Mr. Wizard and to which Mane6 was totally ecstatic about and which anyone can understand, and the Gamespot article, which look at that, was also done by someone else that wanted to make an article about their game because the one who made it liked it so much, and NO ONE is going to disagree.

So you could create a game with Original Characters and then sell it. Great. But it's not ponies anymore. And that's supposed to be the whole reason the game was created in the first place, aside from it being a fighting game. Again, it seems a little unfair to blame them for this.

Do I agree that a lot of people and/or bronies are taking this a bit too much against Hasbro? Yes. But I don't think Mane6 deserves that kind of slack when the mindset that could have been stablished from EVO and afterwards or something similar that prevented them from going to ask about the permission is something we should really need to understand.

All I want to see right now is Hasbro's next move towards the rest of the big pony fan game projects that are currently undergoing right now. And hear Mane6's words, as they haven't said anything since they announced the C&D letter, which either means they're debating on what to do, debating on what to say for their own sake and take it out of their chests, or they are still in negotiations with Hasbro about the Fighting is Magic issue.

• Brohoof 3

Bragged about it? They did what pretty much every pony fan game project has done so far. Create a main page. Answer questions that they felt they could answer. Give updates on how the game is evolving.

This is the same thing My Little Investigations, Welcome To Ponyville, Ponykart and Super Smash Ponies are all doing on their own (I believe this four are the biggest projects at the moment). Most of the people that are doing this fan projects are doing this for fun, not because they were aware they were going to make a change.

If could even blame something on Mane6 was maybe try and decide if they should ask Hasbro for permission when the whole EVO thing came up on BOTH times, which wasn't even their fault, considering, it's not their fault on of their organizers, who goes by the name of Mr. Wizard, liked their game so much he wanted them at EVO. And the same thing happened again when Fighting is Magic was fighting to get (before the change was made) become PART OF THE MAIN CAST OF GAMES AT EVO. For any self-respected player that knows about EVO and that develops a new game out of nowhere and especially if this came out for fun, this is not something you can just digest easily. THOUSANDS watch EVO and participate in it too every year. Do you really think everyone can just take it easy and not even squeal at the prospect of that? Irony is, they were doing things a a project of their own and with the people they were having was supposed to as. Nobody just expected for them to act professionally in the same way you are mentioning! They were doing this for fun the same way everyone else who is creating a pony fan game is doing so. We relied on Hasbro not doing anything because Hasbro let us go with our merry ways. Did Mane6 want to create a game that was a fighting game on its own ponies aside? Yes. But hey, what can you do. They combined the things they liked at the moment. Fighting and ponies. it really seems a bit unfair that you blame for wanting to do that especially when this project has gone on for so long and which nobody really expected Hasbro to do anyything because Hasbro didn't until now.

Bragging the project would have doing everything possible to make themselves known and stuff. Now, how did they became REALLY known? Simple EVO, which was due by Mr. Wizard and to which Mane6 was totally ecstatic about and which anyone can understand, and the Gamespot article, which look at that, was also done by someone else that wanted to make an article about their game because the one who made it liked it so much, and NO ONE is going to disagree.

So you could create a game with Original Characters and then sell it. Great. But it's not ponies anymore. And that's supposed to be the whole reason the game was created in the first place, aside from it being a fighting game. Again, it seems a little unfair to blame them for this.

Do I agree that a lot of people and/or bronies are taking this a bit too much against Hasbro? Yes. But I don't think Mane6 deserves that kind of slack when the mindset that could have been stablished from EVO and afterwards or something similar that prevented them from going to ask about the permission is something we should really need to understand.

All I want to see right now is Hasbro's next move towards the rest of the big pony fan game projects that are currently undergoing right now. And hear Mane6's words, as they haven't said anything since they announced the C&D letter, which either means they're debating on what to do, debating on what to say for their own sake and take it out of their chests, or they are still in negotiations with Hasbro about the Fighting is Magic issue.

What I said still stands. It's up to Hasbro. They aren't being mean or nasty just because they're protecting their own legal rights. They have every right to send a cease and desist order to anyone who even so much as writes a fanfic if they should so choose. They are showing remarkable tolerance because they so far haven't.

Why is it so hard for people to understand that MLP:FIM is THEIR PROPERTY? Strip it down to it's most basic. Mane6 BROKE THE LAW and stole characters that they have no legal right to use. This goes for all the people who decided that the law means nothing, and they have the right to use other people's intellectual property and make a video game.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if a wave of C-D orders went out now. Bronies pushed it too far when they progressed from fanfic to actually creating video games. Hasbro has given at least one company license to create games. The freebee games would be in direct competition with them, so they have to go. One last thing. Yes, setting up a main page to advertise the game IS BRAGGING about it. Mane6 thumbed their noses at Hasbro, and we all know how that story ended.

• Brohoof 1

What I said still stands. It's up to Hasbro. They aren't being mean or nasty just because they're protecting their own legal rights. They have every right to send a cease and desist order to anyone who even so much as writes a fanfic if they should so choose. They are showing remarkable tolerance because they so far haven't.

I'm not saying Hasbro is being mean or anything. Hell, starting screaming bloody murder after them when they have let us the brony community expand so much would be jerky move from our part. No, I'm not blaming Hasbro. I WAS upset the day I first heard the news, but no afterwards. I know better than to insult the company who let us have a lot, AKA not to bite the hand that feeds.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if a wave of C-D orders went out now.

This is the common fear, and we can't really blame people for being scared of this now can we? Not after all this time. But this is why I'm waiting on Hasbro's next move on all this. I'm not going to panic until there really is a chance of a flurry of C&D orders.

But, one thing I'd like to ask. Isn't it possible for Hasbro to issue some sort of robot answer in warning that if the project does not seek a permission within a determined period of time it will be ordered to cease and desist? :huh:

• Brohoof 1

But, one thing I'd like to ask. Isn't it possible for Hasbro to issue some sort of robot answer in warning that if the project does not seek a permission within a determined period of time it will be ordered to cease and desist? :huh:

The onus isn't on Hasbro to tell people that.  That's built-in to the laws that protect Hasbro's copyrights and trademarks, and in the eyes of the courts, it doesn't matter if people aren't aware of that when they work on an infringing project.

• Brohoof 2

It does sound interesting, so I will check it out once I get home. A lot of.my friends do talk about it and how they love it, so it must be good if anything. I think it's going to be good. :)

It does sound interesting, so I will check it out once I get home. A lot of.my friends do talk about it and how they love it, so it must be good if anything. I think it's going to be good. :)

Doesn't sound like you've read the recent posts on this at all dear... :(

Again on one hand Hasbro has been VERY flexible on copyright and trademark's and that has ALLOWED thebrony community to grow and flourish but if they begin to crackdown on fan related projects that could all change and dry up. It's really up to Hasbro. But yes Mane6 made some poor decisions and they just might not have a way out.

• Brohoof 1

Doesn't sound like you've read the recent posts on this at all dear... :(

Again on one hand Hasbro has been VERY flexible on copyright and trademark's and that has ALLOWED thebrony community to grow and flourish but if they begin to crackdown on fan related projects that could all change and dry up. It's really up to Hasbro. But yes Mane6 made some poor decisions and they just might not have a way out.

Sorry, it just just sounded very interesting so I thought it was a real life game. Sorry about the mistake i just did, I understand now. :(

it's just a style kind of thing; kind of the same reason why there was tons of English thrown into an obviously Japanese fighting game such as Tatsunoko Vs Capcom.

The engine was created by some Japanese developers, but uh that's not the reason why there's all sorts of Japanese everywhere.

By the way if anyone wants to give that leaked copy a go with me I'd be totally willing to beat you up with my Pinkie Pie skills.

It's very interesting what effect Japanese text has on the psyche of a typical English speaker.  It really can make something look slightly foreign but engaging.  Japan really has an excellent brand for itself and they should be proud.

Finally, I have to say this. What is it that people have such a hard time understanding about this whole situation? Hasbro holds all legal copyright to everything MLP:FIM. It is one hundred percent their property. They have every right to refuse others from using their material in any way they don't approve of. It isn't Hasbro being mean and nasty. They are for the most part ignoring the titanic amount of fan art and stories being produced on a daily basis. Fighting is Magic just pushed things too far with all the promotion it was getting. Hasbro pretty much HAD to take legal action to prevent weakening their legal standing as regards to the copyrights they hold. I don't condone it, but if the makers of Fighting is Magic kept their mouths shut, it may have been a different story. If they kept it secret and just released the game anonymously when finished, it may have had a chance to spread like "Cupcakes" before legal action could be taken. People are talking about "Oh, I hope they leak what they have." It's far too late for that now. Hasbro would be in position to sue them for vast amounts of money for ignoring the C-D order if the unfinished game suddenly started spreading all over the net.

It's not their reasons, it's the moment they chose and the excuse they provided. How hard is that to get?

I have nothing against your two other arguments, but this one needs to be addressed.

They had, as you said, all this time to think, thanks to the leaks. Did they really have to wait through all of it?

How long does it take to decide whether or not something goes against their copyrights? Why did they wait until the game was nearing completion?

I don't believe the game makers deserved

doing all that work and then having to cease fire.

Hasbro is, by all means, being a dick in that regard.

That's what we're essentially complaining about, not "ZOMG they issued a C&D on a game I was waiting for WAHWAH I won't be able to play this free game based on my fandom".

UPDATE: http://mlpforums.com/topic/48868-lets-show-hasbro-that-we-care-cmon/?p=1179207

Edited by Feather Spiral
  • Brohoof 1

It's not their reasons, it's the moment they chose and the excuse they provided. How hard is that to get?

I have nothing against your two other arguments, but this one needs to be addressed.

They had, as you said, all this time to think, thanks to the leaks. Did they really have to wait through all of it?

How long does it take to decide whether or not something goes against their copyrights? Why did they wait until the game was nearing completion?

I don't believe the game makers deservedHasbro is, by all means, being a dick in that regard.

That's what we're essentially complaining about, not "ZOMG they issued a C&D on a game I was waiting for WAHWAH I won't be able to play this free game based on my fandom".

UPDATE: http://mlpforums.com/topic/48868-lets-show-hasbro-that-we-care-cmon/?p=1179207

So many people believe that anyone has the right to do anything they want with another party's legally owned intellectual property. Welcome to the real world, Bronies! All arguments are negated by the simple fact that Hasbro OWNS everything MLP:FIM. It isn't up to Hasbro to be nice about how they handle someone blatantly infringing on their legal rights. You have no data on why they chose now to make their move. Maybe there were big discussions on high levels on just how to handle the situation. Who knows? Maybe they only learned of the game twelve hours before the C-D order was sent. It looks to me though like they decided to make an example of Mane6, in hopes that it will deter others in the future. Frankly, I don't blame them.

I just did a little really fast research...

Here's a timeline. On January 08 it was confirmed that Fighting is Magic was on the shortlist to be featured at the 2013 EVO Championship Series in Las Vegas, Nev. On February 08, Mane6 received the Cease and Desist order. That's exactly one month. It's now obvious to me that Hasbro DID NOT want it's characters to be featured in a hugely publicized fighting tournament. The easiest way to prevent it was to stop the game entirely and prevent it's release.

• Brohoof 1