Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you miss about the earlier seasons?

Meeps

I kinda miss the "feeling"  we got from the two seasons and how the mane six interacted.   It felt playful and just over all fun to watch and yes,  I miss Pre-Princess Twilight in how we saw her still making mistakes and being nerdy and stuff. ^_^

• Brohoof 3

3 hours ago, Tao said:

I kinda miss the "feeling"  we got from the two seasons and how the mane six interacted.   It felt playful and just over all fun to watch and yes,  I miss Pre-Princess Twilight in how we saw her still making mistakes and being nerdy and stuff. ^_^

She probably makes more mistakes than ever since she became a princess. I dunno what you're on about. It's very clear the pressure of her station and popularity get to her on a regular basis and she freaks out to the point of a total mental breakdown. :dash:

Twilight's story arch.

That's really what made the show have a sense of moving forward towards one direction.

Like the episodes were all leading up to Twilight becoming a princess.

We don't got that anymore, and the show has no overarching story anymore.

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, Firedog said:

Twilight's story arch.

That's really what made the show have a sense of moving forward towards one direction.

Like the episodes were all leading up to Twilight becoming a princess.

We don't got that anymore, and the show has no overarching story anymore.

This is an interesting thought, the overarching story does seem much more fluid these days. 

(edited)

I miss Twilight Sparkle, the adorkable and sarcastic unicorn with whom I once identified so strongly. I miss her old cozy library in that huge oak tree. I miss the Elements of Harmony and the friendship lessons from when the show really was being written for little girls.

It's not that I stopped enjoying the show when those things changed. I mean, I love Starlight Glimmer and Maud Pie and the nicer Diamond Tiara. But it does feel different now. If I could only watch two seasons of the show for the rest of my life, I would choose 1 and 2. ^_^

Edited by TailsIsNotAlone
  • Brohoof 1

9 hours ago, Singe said:

The thing the first and second season had, each of the Mane 6 had their mental breakdowns.

They still do that, they are just more controlled and nuanced. Chalk it up to some character growth in all the characters without completely losing touch with their ability to overreact and have a emotional moment. 

• Brohoof 1

To be honest, not a whole lot. I feel that seasons 1 and 2 have aged rather poorly when compared to season 4 and on. The original seasons just didn't have much in the way of depth and the characters were quite one-note and far too simplistic. I don't even miss the letters to Celestia in the slightest.

If I had to say one thing I miss though, it is from season 3 and that is BABS. :(

I miss more FlutterDash. Cough let me explain. In season one and two there was this rigidly defined zone of "these charcters are paired with these charctters". Which I guess after Lauren Faust left wasn't really the case anymore. But can season 8 please have a FlutterDash episode... maybe they get married in season nine...

I also miss interactions between Applejack and Rainbow Dash. As late as season four they were easily my favourite pairing of the lot, but since then they've spent almost no time together at all. A real shame, that. 

• Brohoof 1

I also miss ponies getting salty. It's one of the reasons why adults can enjoy kids shows. Because normally charcters in kids shows are absurdly nice. Even too asshole charcters. Which is why No Second Prances is one of my favorite episodes. Twilight still being salty about Trixie was fantastic. Actually it's one of the reasons I love Hanazuki Full Of Treasures so much. :D Hanazuki has so many moments where she's like "I have too deal with this motherf**ker again?". 

I don't know why but that element was gone from the show for a few seasons. I think that's why Twilight became kind of boring. Because she used too be one of the most relatble charcters, then she became a princess. Actually that's also why Trixie's and Starlight's relationship is so great. Because Trixie is a f**king bitch, but Starlight is probaly the only one who could put up with it on a regular basis. 

• Brohoof 1

In earlier seasons, Spike would hang out with the mane six more often. Nowadays it seems he only ever interacts with Twilight and Rarity, and in the past several seasons he's spent more time with Starlight than with Pinkie or Applejack. I liked when he felt like a part of the friend group. 

• Brohoof 1

On 7/5/2017 at 10:08 PM, Unlikeable Pony said:

I miss the elements of harmony, I miss how Celestia and the other alicorns were treated with far more seriousness and gravity in the early seasons (being immortals who literally control their world and make it run, and everypony INSTANTLY fell to the ground before them whenever they showed up), I miss the original changelings.

I agree with the princesses thing... But Meghan got her hands on Celestia and makes her get stomped all time.

I wish the princesses would be treated more seriously. Season 7 has been pretty good with this, but yeah. 

• Brohoof 1

11 minutes ago, MAIKUN said:

I just wished the CMC would go back as Blank Flanks by giving up on their Cutie Marks for good 

Come on man, it's been 2 years, the CMC aren't going back to being blank flanks.

You need to let it go.

1 hour ago, Celli said:

Come on man, it's been 2 years, the CMC aren't going back to being blank flanks.

You need to let it go.

No I will not let it go thank you very much. They should go back to being blank flanks again...badly

32 minutes ago, MAIKUN said:

No I will not let it go thank you very much. They should go back to being blank flanks again...badly

So you want the show to stagnate? 

I miss the false somewhat dark humor that they had.When Rarity tore off one of Steven Magnets scales and it cut away for a moment when he flailed his arms and it looked like he had been chopped in half and her line before she does it makes it even better  "I simply cannot let such a crime against fabulosity go uncorrected!":lol: And of course we cant forget the scene where it looks like Fluttershy breaks Harry's neck. The only recent example of that I could think of would be this. 

Maybe I've just got a sick sense of humor but I always found that stuff hilarious because of how much of the contrast to the shows tone is.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)
On 7/10/2017 at 6:25 AM, TailsIsNotAlone said:

I miss Twilight Sparkle, the adorkable and sarcastic unicorn with whom I once identified so strongly. I miss her old cozy library in that huge oak tree. I miss the Elements of Harmony and the friendship lessons from when the show really was being written for little girls.

It's not that I stopped enjoying the show when those things changed. I mean, I love Starlight Glimmer and Maud Pie and the nicer Diamond Tiara. But it does feel different now. If I could only watch two seasons of the show for the rest of my life, I would choose 1 and 2. ^_^

I loved that side of Twilight too, which is why I appreciate the fact that Starlight Glimmer has really taken the 'adorkable and sarcastic unicorn' description from her now Twilight is too sparkly.

I miss the high fantasy feel. The show seems like it take place in the modern day now, and I feel like that's really diluted the setting.

A Celestia with a tiny scrap of dignity was also nice, because she's my favorite Princess.

Edited by Philweasel
  • Brohoof 1

23 hours ago, Celli said:

You need to let it go.

Personally, I thought it was about time they got their marks. But I didn't like them all getting the same mark, at the same time. How in Tartarus does that work? Their special talent (or their "destiny"; don't get me started on that part) is...helping other ponies realize their special talents? So they're basically elementary school guidance counselors, except they don't get paid. That's the dream they waited five seasons to realize. It was kind of a letdown, considering how great the rest of that episode was. 

Basically they spent the early seasons building realistic, interesting character/plot arcs and Seasons 3-5 finishing those arcs in ways that didn't work for me. Twilicorn, CMC, Elements of Harmony getting stuck in a tree, et al.

24 minutes ago, TailsIsNotAlone said:

Personally, I thought it was about time they got their marks. But I didn't like them all getting the same mark, at the same time. How in Tartarus does that work? Their special talent (or their "destiny"; don't get me started on that part) is...helping other ponies realize their special talents? So they're basically elementary school guidance counselors, except they don't get paid. That's the dream they waited five seasons to realize. It was kind of a letdown, considering how great the rest of that episode was. 

Basically they spent the early seasons building realistic, interesting character/plot arcs and Seasons 3-5 finishing those arcs in ways that didn't work for me. Twilicorn, CMC, Elements of Harmony getting stuck in a tree, et al.

Eh, that didn't bother me. I was mostly relieved their arc was over.

Seriously, I was getting tired of the same old "what'll do to get our cutie marks today, guys?"  thing.

8 minutes ago, Celli said:

Eh, that didn't bother me. I was mostly relieved their arc was over.

Seriously, I was getting tired of the same old "what'll do to get our cutie marks today, guys?"  thing.

Oh, no doubt. I was tired of that too. It just bugged me that the show hinted at real, individual talents for them in earlier seasons (Scootaloo's speed, Apple Bloom building things, Sweetie's singing), but instead of following up on those they just slapped the same cutie mark on all three fillies and called it a day.

• Brohoof 1