Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Tiny Bit Worried About Amount Of Characters Returning From The Show...

Harratot33

We're not too far away from the movie's release and the only confirmed characters from the show are The Mane Six, Spike and Celestia. I thought they'd have announced more by now, and if not, that seems too little for my taste. What about Cadance, luna, Starlight, The CMC...there are so many important characters that are being left out. And if they are in, the fact that they are not being announced would seem to suggest they will not have a major role :( 

• Brohoof 1

Starlight and Trixie have already been seen in the trailer, though only really as part of the background. I'm hoping we'll at least get some scenes from Celestia and Luna at the start, but between the Mane Six/Spike and all the new characters for the Movie, I don't think they'd have much room to focus on every other important character from the show.

• Brohoof 3

From a business perspective, Hasbro wants to focus on the main cast of characters and the new characters. That way, audiences watching will want to buy the respective toys and therefore give more money to the company. I know it sounds like a horrible thing but then this is what Hasbro does because at the end of the day, money is what they care about more than anything else.

• Brohoof 1

There's lots of characters involved considering the recent screenshots, and Cadance is in one of them so... Shouldn't have to worry about it I think.

On 7/31/2017 at 5:35 PM, Harratot33 said:

What about Cadance, luna, Starlight, The CMC...there are so many important characters that are being left out. And if they are in, the fact that they are not being announced would seem to suggest they will not have a major role

Outside of a cameo and some short dialog interactions from the Princesses when the plot needs them to interact with key plot centric characters, none of them are expected to have a major role. The film is crowded as it is and each character needs as much room to breathe as the 90 minutes can give them.

• 1 month later...

Pshah! There will plenty of returning characters to see even if they appear as cameos or have a short speaking role. The show is mainly about the mane 6 and Spike because...they are the main characters.

Just from the trailers alone I saw small appearances from Starlight, Trixie, Bulk Biceps, Derpy, Lyra, Vinyl, Octavia, Carrot Top, Party Favor and The Wonder Bolts. There really is nothing to be concerned about when it comes to reappearing pony characters. It is a Friendship Festival after all. ;)

20 hours ago, TBD said:

Too many characters, too little time.

Pretty much this, and this is something that the comics has tended to suffer from on numerous occasions. Read over arcs like "Siege of the Crystal Empire," "Reflections," and "Revenge of the Everfree."Among other issues was that there were too many characters present to justify over a 4-issue arc.

This is something that the movie has to avoid to be seen as cluttered. As much as I adore Trixie and Starlight; they're best served as background characters. The Mane 6 and Spike are the stars, and that's the way it should be.

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, PathfinderCS said:

Pretty much this, and this is something that the comics has tended to suffer from on numerous occasions. Read over arcs like "Siege of the Crystal Empire," "Reflections," and "Revenge of the Everfree."Among other issues was that there were too many characters present to justify over a 4-issue arc.

This is something that the movie has to avoid to be seen as cluttered. As much as I adore Trixie and Starlight; they're best served as background characters. The Mane 6 and Spike are the stars, and that's the way it should be.

Agreed, especially when there already a large amount of new characters in the movie that needed the screen time. it would be too much to handle in one movie.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...
On 7/31/2017 at 11:35 PM, Harratot33 said:

We're not too far away from the movie's release and the only confirmed characters from the show are The Mane Six, Spike and Celestia. I thought they'd have announced more by now, and if not, that seems too little for my taste. What about Cadance, luna, Starlight, The CMC...there are so many important characters that are being left out. And if they are in, the fact that they are not being announced would seem to suggest they will not have a major role :( 

While this might be true (obviously is true by now), it is more worrying to see the Mane 6 being set aside for celebrity voice actors and their characters. Since celebrity actors will probably not return for the show, it is a huge waste of potential in story building of those characters.

• 1 year later...

Unfortunately, the large amount of random side characters who were introduced for the movie (and only the movie) took up a lot of screen-time, which could be a major part in why some of the FIM characters never got more than a background appearance. Heck, they even took away screen-time from certain members from the mane six (Especially Fluttershy and Applejack), just to give the movie-only characters more time on screen. They most likely did this because of their celebrity VA's along with all the new toy potential Hasbro saw in them, but that still doesn't change that it was an annoying move on their part.

• 1 year later...