Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do people hate good guys?

heavens-champion

Firstly, I highly doubt everyone hates good guys. There will always be many people who love the good guys.

Secondly, I think it depends on how well the good guy is written and created. For example, one may hate a good guy because that character is a stereotype. Or another example, one may hate a good guy that has characteristics that aren't relatable or are overexaggerated.

Thirdly, I think it also depends on how well the bad guy is written. Some bad guys are loved more than the good guys because the bad guy has a more relatable and tragic backstory.

I think it's less that people hate good guys, more so that the "Good guy beats bad guy and saves the world and everyone was happy" trope has been beat into the ground and people get bored of the typical hero story. It's more interesting to see a subversion, a flawed hero, anti-hero or a villain protagonist done well. It can also get pretty annoying if the villain is more well written than the hero and just gets a bridge dropped on them. More annoying is a hero that is a mary sue, gary stu or one just plain annoying. It sucks when the guy you're supposed to root for is the one you just wanna see eat dirt.

Also, I think society has a lot to do with how people react to stories too. Recent trends like a morally ambiguous protagonist or a tale grey and gray morality are refreshing and tend to reflect the problems and social ills of today, which is why they relate to people more. It's a different trend then, say, in the 80s and 70s where the cold war made life tense and people needed a hero to beat the bad guys.

• Brohoof 2

• 1 year later...

While being righteous and having a strong sense of justice are good traits in a man it is often a very black and white worldview. Simplified if you will, therefore we often see the villain in similar light the black sheep among sheeps. While the good guy the shepard of the sheep does well exactly what we expect of them to do. So we don't ask ourselves why we just know why the good guy does what he does but it begs to question the villains motives. Which often has very interesting sense of morality and justice you see everyone is the good guy in their own story however moral relativism is important for our understanding of such a character if you will.

I dk I think it depends on the person. I know some people who tend to like the good guys over the bad ones. 

Im more in the middle overall. I like a pretty equal number of bad guys and good guys.It just depends on their character.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2019-02-16 at 5:31 PM, Dreambiscuit said:

I always like goodguys. I hardly think it's a cliche that the goodguys always win because it seems more and more that the badguys end up the glorified ones. There's nothing glorious or admirable in being bad. It's a character flaw that shows a lack of command over one's emotional passions. It may be easy to identify with the badguys because we all have our flaws and it feels good to know we're not the only ones struggling with temptations and negative instincts. Being good may not seem sexy, because it takes more effort and gets less admiration for it. But it's for that very reason, among many others, that I'll always prefer the goodguys.  

So true, Dreamy. :wub:

to be honest i thought this was a relationship related one for a moment lol

sometimes people perfer the "bad" guy cause they like a character with a strong personality, with a dark side
sometimes people perfer the "good" guy cause they like the sense of right and justice