Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How good is the dub of FiM in your language?

SprinklePinguin

Like the titles says.

I just looked up the Dutch songs and I feel like I've been hit with a rock. The voice acting is so fake, I realised I am watching a program made for 6-8 year olds. The VAs cannot keep their pitch during singing. The Cutie Mark Crusaders sound super low when they sing and I want to kill Pinkie Pie... Twilight Sparkle is also questionable. 
Another problem is that there aren't many VA's in Dutch, so it sounds exactly the same as the Winx Club or Totally Spies dub. Which bothers me. 

I go back to the English version. Bye XD

• Brohoof 2

I don't like the Finnish version. There have been much worse dubs than it (such as the old MLP), but it just doesn't have the same charm as the English version. Based on the clips I've seen (I can't bring myself to watch much of it), Pinkie actually seems to have a decent voice (though not as good as the original), but the others have very high-pitched, overly cutesy voices. The CMCs (especially Apple Bloom) don't really sound like kids, while Spike sounds like a girl. I can't bring myself to listen to the songs, but I've read claims that some of the voice actors can't even sing in tune!

I guess the dub is OK for kids (at least my nephews like to watch it), but very few older viewers seem to like it. And even then, the translation doesn't convey the original humor in some cases. I was curious to see how they had translated the names Spike came up with for the Mane 6 in "Bridle Gossip". Many of them were actually left untranslated. I don't think a kid who doesn't speak English would understand why Rainbow Dash is being called Rainbow Crash. In general, they seem to be inconsistent with what names are translated and what are retained.

So all in all, the only way I like to watch MLP is with its original English audio.

• Brohoof 3

I watch the show in german and I think it's pretty good, altough I prefer the songs in english. I want to try maybe watching it in english but I don't know if I could after such a long time listening to the german voices 

• Brohoof 2

Since we share the same language... :dash: I see where you're coming from. I thought the Dutch dub was absolutely awful. But having seen other dubs, it's perfectly fine to me. The voices do fit the characters, unlike in some languages. I still prefer English without a doubt, but I had to watch the movie in Dutch since I watched it in the cinema and it was fine to me.

Quality-wise Finnish dub is aright (besides Nightmare Moon's laugh) I think, I haven't watched the dub much because I personally hate the Finnish dub. The language just doesn't....fit, it sounds wrong to me.

Edited by The Cerberus
  • Brohoof 3

My native language is English, but I also speak German. I've watched MLP dubbed in German before... I'd say it's probably one of the better dubs out there. The voice actors match the English ones relatively well and none of their voices are over the top or extremely annoying.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 months later...

I don't like dubs I think all media should always be played with original audio and with subtitles if people can't understand.

Dubs are usually destroying one of the key elements of the characters and I don't like it. 

Though sometimes dubs are done well but from my experience that is a Rarity.

Though I understand why dubs are made for some shows especially with younger audiences but that doesn't mean they can't put at least some effort into maintaining the characters.

Since mine is the official English dub, I'd say it's doing very well for itself. Hmmm... Why does my response sound too easy of an answer.

• Brohoof 1

Half the Dutch dub is actually Flemish, and for some reason the Flemish ones seem worse than the Dutch ones. I have no clue why, since I watched Flemish shows as a kid all the time and it never seemed as bad then, even when I see clips of those old shows today. In any case, it's quite horrendous. It seems like the Mane 6 are in their fifties in the dub. I'll take the English version any day. It actually pissed me off that they didn't have the movie in the original version anywhere.

On 12/14/2017 at 12:30 PM, cuteycindyhoney said:

I've heard some of the Russian dub, and thought it sounded great.

I'm quoting my own post here. I'm an American and only really know the English language version, but listen to this video. They did an exceptional job casting the Russian dub! Twilight, Celestia, and Luna sound almost like their English VA's also speak Russian. Cadence is a little different, but still a good match for the character.  

I think the German Dub is pretty good, except for maybe a few of the Songs, but even most of them are fine. Also i like it, how a few Voice Actors changed over time, like the Voice for Rainbow Dash, Spike and i think also Cadence´s Voice changed. For me that gives the Show a whole new experience, like Spike for example sounds more like an adult now and not as childish like he did in earlier Seasons, so its like he just got naturally older over time. So that fits pretty well i think.

On 2017-12-13 at 4:51 PM, Cyberkiyo said:

Like the titles says.

I just looked up the Dutch songs and I feel like I've been hit with a rock. The voice acting is so fake, I realised I am watching a program made for 6-8 year olds. The VAs cannot keep their pitch during singing. The Cutie Mark Crusaders sound super low when they sing and I want to kill Pinkie Pie... Twilight Sparkle is also questionable. 
Another problem is that there aren't many VA's in Dutch, so it sounds exactly the same as the Winx Club or Totally Spies dub. Which bothers me. 

I go back to the English version. Bye XD

Hi, as this topic is about dubs of the show, it has been moved to Show Discussion where it may get more views.

I actually like the Japanese dub, although it's not easy to understand it often. Cute voices, and even some handsome ones from the males. Quite a shame it only got two seasons.

What's more, the episodes were "edited for syndication", very similar to how 4Kids Entertainment once did it to Pokemon, Kirby and Sonic. I mean, I used to watch the original Pokemon since I was 6, but when we moved to the US, I had to stick with Kids WB's Pokemon ever since. The episodes looked the same, but they actually weren't!

Edited by FirePuppy