gaming Biggest Glitches You've Encountered

ultrairongorilla

My biggest glitch I ever encountered was when nearing the end of Mass Effect Andromeda, while doing some side missions, the entire game basically fell apart. My Ryder character ended up going through the ground, and eventually was eventually only able to jog in place. For the next 20 minutes the game was like this, even after I switched planets. I went to the next planet while the game dropped frames, and my Ryder was sent flying every time she walked. I jumped into the Nomad (which is the game's car), and when I did this, the Nomad gave up on itself and decided to spin around like crazy and blow itself up. I reloaded my save file and the game was still glitched up. So I shut off my Playstation 4, and the game ran normally thankfully. I managed to get most of it on footage from the Playsation 4 video capture though, so there's that.

When I tried to complete Sonic 06 a few years ago, I had so many glitches I don't even know where to begin. The biggest ones were probably during Kingdom Valley during Sonic's Mach Speed section, where he kept getting stuck on the wall.

When trying to beat Destroy All Humans Path of The Furon on Xbox 360, I had a mission where you had to throw monks at gongs with your psychokinesis (just roll with it...), and every time I threw a monk he would phase out of the wall, essentially locking me out of completing the mission.

• Brohoof 3

A glitch in the first Ninja Gaiden game on NES, where the game caused me to suddenly die when I started the final boss. If you've played that game, you probably know why something like that would really piss someone off.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Pr0m4NV14 said:

There is a glitch in the mobile game “Tiny Tower” Which can get you infinite currency. It is called the Null glitch and it involves the sushi shop.

Wait HOW DOES THAT WORK?!?! My curiosity is piqued

Also, the ground thing can happen with most games. Game developers make the ground only have one layer in actuality, cuz you dont really ever see the rest, plus its cheaper. Also, this is designed so that they can hide other entities away under the map. Its done pretty often. As such, theres no way of making the player, who is also considered an entity, unable to get below the map. However, in the attempt of trying to prevent this, players will often get stuck if they succeed. You're also lucky your save wasnt corrupted. I dont know much about the game, but, visually, this area can be glitchy, and cause file corruption in some games.

I haven't had any glitches occur myself though I've seen plenty of them on YouTube via videos dedicated to that kind of thing. However, I have performed some glitches as seen on those videos just to see if they were real and I was surprised that they were. One in particular was a glitch in Super Mario Odyssey involving the rope jump challenge in the Metro Kingdom.

• Brohoof 1

So in Killing Floor 2 on Xbox One, there is a rather peculiar glitch that happened to me last month. It goes like this: I play for a bit and it shuts down my console entirely. Yeah. Pretty simple, but pretty damn effective. Haven't touched the game since it has done this twice and there are reports of it doing the same thing to others as well. Would be nice if the developers would actually say something about this problem, because it is pretty bad.

There's also an interesting thing one can do in the first Saint's Row game on 360. Take a tractor to any garage with a door. Open the door. Make sure only the front scoop of the tractor is in the doorway and close it. I had different experiences from the tractor simply exploding, to it flying off into space, to it bugging out so bad that the game froze. Pretty neat little experiment.

• Brohoof 1

i was playing firewatch and when i was opening up a cache then i cancled opening up the cashe then everything froze but i can move the camera looking through the character model and when i trying to jump over the rock bridge got stuck and kept moving back and forth to get unstuck then finally fell down on the ground and kept playing xD

• Brohoof 1

I once encountered a glitch in Medal of Honor: Allied Assault on the Omaha Beach level where two soldiers were supposed to make a break for the trenches and be killed, thus triggering your objective to proceed with the mission. The glitch? They made it. They disappeared into the trenches and apparently survived. The next objective never triggered, and I couldn't go any further in the game without it. Finally had to go back and restart the level to fix it.

• Brohoof 2

Resident Evil 6 had an area where the player was supposed to climb a skyscraper to proceed with the mission. The glitch was that halfway up, the character simply stopped as if bumping up against an imaginary ceiling and unable to proceed beyond it. No manuevering, restarting or desperate pleading would enable the character to proceed beyond that point. So the outcome was another dead game tossed on the pile.  

If you want the king of all glitchy games, try LOTR War in the North. It was a fun game, but I'm pretty sure everything was wrong with it.

A memorable glitch for me was during the end of Mass Effect 3. One of the last missions is fighting off several waves of  infinitely spawning enemies while the AI E.D.I. readies a pair of missiles. I was playing an Infiltrator, which meant I had a cloaking ability, so the moment E.D.I. gave me the ok, I cloaked and gunned it past a hoard of Banshee for the missiles, triggering a cutscene. However, once the cutscene ended, Shepard was still cloaked, but her armor wasn't, meaning she was just this headless suit of armor while crap blew up around her.

Another was in the Bethesda game Prey, where for no explainable reason I and several enemies suddenly fell through the floor of the station into space, falling for several seconds in open space before finally dying.

• Brohoof 2

I try to avoid broken and buggy games, but there is one glitch in The Simpsons Hit And Run(which can only be accessed using cheat codes) that can get you out of bounds in any level and traversing said level can be....kind of unnerving somehow

• Brohoof 1

I suppose I don't usually run into a lot of glitches. The exceptions are usually games which I have played extensively and actually try to play around with the mechanics, like The Sims or Animal Crossing series games.

In the original Animal Crossing game there was a system of which's exact purpose I have forgotten over the years, it had to with Tom Nook and codes. Anyway, it was very quickly discovered the concept of "Universal Codes". It was cheating, but also the only way to get certain items. I do not remember how it happened, but I really played around with it and ended up with an item stuck in my inventory.

The worst one was actually a straight-up glitch, though. I was asked to deliver this package to an animal that moved out before I could give it back to them. The game did supposedly have a way setup that it could be 'forgiven' through the Wishing Well, however, there was some glitch and I couldn't do that. I forget the details of this glitch because it was been a good 15 years. lol

There are a couple of other small but amusing glitches I discovered in other games:

Super Mario Sunshine: At one point Delfino Plaza gets flooded. I remember swimming around and ending up on one of the verandas (I forget exactly which, again 15 years!) and stepping on it in a certain way allowed Mario to fall down to the ground and walk around under the water.

Super Smash Bros. Melee: The Onett stage is one that is supposed to be solid, so you can't knock characters off... Right? Well, actually if characters are hit in a certain way they can fly through the ground and be KOed. I ran into this glitch a few times.

Otherwise in games like the original Super Smash Bros. and Mario Kart 64, I remember there being voice glitches at times where you would hear the cry of a character repeated several times or distorted a little bit (IIRC). This, to me, was hilarious, because Nintendo voices back in the 64 days were comedy gold. I remember in Bowser's Castle on Mario Kart 64 once Mario got caught in a glitch or something (probably with the Thwomps) and his voice kept on looping over and over. (It was the cry at 0:09 of this video). I had to stop playing that session because I could not stop laughing.

Edited by Envy

I've played some buggy games in my time. OP mentioned one of the worst offenders I have played, Sonic 06.

I found one in the DS remake of Super Mario 64 that, when timed just right, allows you to bypass a bunch of stars and fly to the top of the "endless" stairs that lead to the final boss level, Bowser In the Sky. Well, I definitely wasn't the first to discover the glitch, but I tried it over and over and finally managed to do it. You keep crouching and sliding into this one tiny gap in the castle and eventually you fly into a dark void. It shoots you up into oblivion and then you fall. If you manage to fall just right, you can fall into the room that leads directly to the final boss.

Normally, Mario is the only character who can climb the stairs once you have enough stars, but this glitch allows you to fight Bowser as any of the 4 playable characters. However, while I haven't tried it with anybody else myself, apparently it's a way to break your save file because the game will forget that you beat the very first Bowser level.

Edited by Prospekt
  • Brohoof 3

I could mention the likes of missingno, who every vet Pokemon player is familiar with, or the cloning in G2 or Emerald, but I didn't found them myself. 

One I've found was in Ass Creed Unity, where my brother asked me to find a way to save. Well, best thing I've thought was committing suicide, so I've attempted to fall.... only for the mofo to get stuck falling in place.... MID AIR :D

Another one I've found, and as far as I know I'm the only one who knows it is in Super Princess Peach. The glitch is simple, just make a slide attack to Giant Kamek. His face will detach from his body, and you won't be able to damage him further, so you can only quit or die. The glitch will be fixed the next time you fight him

Oh boy, where do I begin...

I was playing Mafia 3, and I was told to interrogate this guy to find Luca... nobody told me I was going to be interrogating an immortal!
Warning, minor gore if you decide to watch.

This one happened awhile back when I was playing Battlefront II. Guess the pilot really didn't want me on board as his gunner.

Speaking of Battlefront, not sure how to describe this.

Moving onto Friday The 13th, the bots are incompetent so they make up for that by cheating. Something similar also happened a few months back

Edited by Snow Frostflame

I encountered the Swing set glitch a few times in the brief time I played Grand Theft Auto IV.

If you somehow don't know about it, it's a glitch in which if you drive into a swing set at the right angle, it'll literally send you flying halfway across the map for seemingly no reason. It's probably one of the most humorous and well-known glitches there is.

Other than that, don't really remember running into too many myself.

• Brohoof 2

There’s this one Shrine in Zelda Breath of the Wild where if I get this metal treasure chest anywhere near this particular patch of the floor, the floor partially eats it and doesn’t let go. It’s very annoying since I need that chest to finish part of the Shrine. :okiedokieloki:

• Brohoof 1

I used to play this one game a long time ago called "18 Wheels of Steel: American Long Haul" where you would basically simulate being a truck driver and deliver goods to locations all over the country. Anyways, there was this one glitch when you traveled to Seattle, Washington where if you aimed your truck just right you could drive through a fence keeping you on the road and drive out onto the water of the bay- all the while phasing through the boats in the water too. If you drove out onto the water far enough you actually fell off the side of map and into this endless void filled with nothing but the blue sky above and pure blue below. 

• Brohoof 1

In Warframe, there was a kind of hilarious incubation glitch when they introduced new companion species, but accidentally allowed to mix "dog" and "cat" DNA imprints when breeding a new one. Possible results in the spoiler as it might be a bit disturbing to some.

Spoiler

f18a78d1d6650089c95b21f81eb31201.png

QwgfOja.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

FlTvQj6.jpg

aq5Ampg.jpg

I ran into Missingno in Pokémon Blue and checked the Hall of Fame data. Nothing remained the same in that game, because now my team in the Hall of Fame was replaced with glitchy messes of teams. Like a Level 253 Pikachu with TRAINER as its name, or a Level 8 Mewtwo with incoherent glitch tiles as its name.

The biggest glitch for me was on Majora's Mask, when I rode on Epona as Fierce Deity Link. After riding Epona across Termina Field for a while, I reset the game and everything broke. All my saved files were erased, and I would lose health every time I touch a heart. The Great Fairy kills me rather than replenishes my health, so I couldn't advance through the game anymore.

• Brohoof 1