Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How would the ponies react to seeing blood?

KillerKingBakudan

It's probably safe to assume they aren't exposed to it very often given how carefree their society is presented to be most of the time. Ponies in the medical field might be the only exception, but for the most part, blood isn't commonly spoken of. Not even in the newspapers where things like war, crime and pony-hating tyrants can become lingering topics.

So without getting terribly graphic, let's say you were involved in some kind of accident and you've sustained a serious wound. You're bleeding, you have nothing but your clothes to use for dressing, and you feel like you're about to pass out. You need to see a doctor badly. Despite that, you have enough strength to walk into Ponyville in broad daylight. All the ponies are just carrying out their day-to-day activities, but that immediately comes to a halt when they see you covered in clothes that are soaking red.

In your current condition, your presence there is a major cause for concern. The question is, how would they take it? Would they rush over to help and get you the medical attention you need, or would they freak out, scream and run from you like they just saw some "thing" from an R-rated movie?

And what about the Mane Six? Would Fluttershy and Rarity be kind and generous enough to do something for you, or would seeing you actually make them betray their own elements?

I'm sure minor accidents happen there to the point that they are familiar with the sight of blood, even if it's not a hemorrhage. 

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Flutterstep said:

Twilight Sparkle would salvage it for later reserch

She would make blood meal as a fertilizer for AJ since it's very high in nitrogen. Also mix it with molasses and you can feed it to cattle so they get enough lysine. 

Animal husbandry is kinda gross, isn't it? @Fhaolan, do your sheep eat inert blood powder? 

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

She would make blood meal as a fertilizer for AJ since it's very high in nitrogen. Also mix it with molasses and you can feed it to cattle so they get enough lysine. 

Animal husbandry is kinda gross, isn't it? @Fhaolan, do your sheep eat inert blood powder? 

Not at the moment, because that's a thing you usually do when raising livestock for meat and we're not doing that. Our sheep are for wool production, though a couple of them are Icelandic sheep and *technically* that makes them three-way. (Meaning they were originally bred for meat, wool, and milk).

And to answer the OP, the majority of ponies will probably panic and run around, simply because that seems to be the default reaction of the backgrounders when something *different* happens. :)

As for named characters, the one to watch will be Fluttershy, because depending on which writer is in control it will vary from 'I'm so scared!' (haemophobia) all the way to 'Oh, poor thing!' (blood is part of nature, and Fluttershy is about nurturing the injured). It will be hard to guess which reaction you would get, and knowing which one will tell you if we're dealing with show conditions, comic conditions, or otherwise. ;)

• Brohoof 1

If we were to think to the show characters, they would all piss on themselves; however if we were to think past that, we can't really tell. Based on the show only, it would be quiet a horrible sight for them (unless it's blood in small quantity). I mean, we're talking about adult characters (yep , adults) who can't get out of a tensed situation without having a quarrel first; they wouldn't know how to keep their calm

• Brohoof 1

Considering that some ponies had scars, it's safe to say that blood does exist in Equestria. I'd say the same things that happen with us happen there.

Of course we don't see it for obvious reasons, but I'd say they would react in the same way we do.

Well, we've seen ponies fight. And we've seen wars (The cutie re-mark). And we've seen scarred, wounded, or otherwise injured ponies. I think it's safe to assume there is blood.

Obviously, there can't be blood shown on a kids' television program, but I think we can assume it's there. The real question is how much blood does the average pony see?

Assuming that the average pony sees slightly less blood than the average human (considering their society is much more peaceful), I would say that they would be more squeamish around blood than we are, but not to the point of being HORRIFIED. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...