Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What was your schools most pointless rule?

Reecejackox

The most pointless rule was probably that we weren't allowed to use our phones during breaks in primary school. Oh and they banned Pokemon cards too for some reason that I can't remember anymore.

Though phones were allowed, the secondary school I went to was somehow worse. My friend really liked to hang around her moped during breaks but that joy was quickly cut short since the teachers made a rule that no one should ever hang out near the mopeds, not even their own. It was also absolutely necessary to go outside during breaks every time, or else you'd get a warning of some sort. The staff at that school didn't do anything about the weird substitute teacher that had done slightly suspicious things more than once, or the principal who yelled to "never talk about that kind of crap to him anymore" when confronted about the suspicious teacher; but breaks were somehow the thing they were most worried about.

No hats. I can wear a banana costume with a pink towel cape, but I can't wear a hat.

Also, as ironic as it sounds, the only day I can't wear my costume is Halloween! Other than that, there's not much of a problem with the rules.

Edited by Lucid_Nightlight

The most pointless, other than not being allowed to wear hats or hoods, was not being allowed to bring handheld gaming devices on the bus.
They tried to justify this by saying it distracts the bus driver. What, a little gameboy distracts them more than all the screaming kids?

I call bullshit on that.

Edited by Dirty Filthy Muggle-borns
  • Brohoof 2

Anything on your head was prohibited. This annoyed me because I liked to wear my hoodie, helped me feel invisible. Also phones were not allowed at all, even during passing time and lunch. Though my school did allow us to bring our DS' to use during our free time, and had no problem with Pokemon cards and that sort of thing. I remember getting into Bakugan and we had duels during lunch.  

Being from the UK, we had to wear school uniforms and the most stupid rule we had at my High School was our tie had to show at least 8 stripes or else we'd be told to retie it.

39 minutes ago, Lucid_Nightlight said:

How does that prevent smoking or drinking?

Well, students put drugs, sigarettes or alcohol in their schoolbags and such. Now they may not eat outside school where it is pretty difficult to check. It's just easier, but they now smoke out of the area, so it doesn't work. :grin:

1 hour ago, Jaspers said:

Oh and they banned Pokemon cards too for some reason that I can't remember anymore.

My school did that when I was in 3rd grade. But I know EXACTLY the reason why. It was because literally EVERYONE had them and we’d all pull them out ALL THE FRIGGIN TIME so we could show off and trade.

Good times.

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 1

Just now, Total Lunar Eclipse said:

Not in school anymore, but when I was, we weren't allowed to tell anyone when our birthday was. 

Sounds like a Nightmare for Pinkie Pie.:blink:

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

Sounds like a Nightmare for Pinkie Pie.:blink:

Oh yes, the school was extreme anti fun. They tear down your morale. Huh. Headcanon for her EG backstory? Maybe she spent a year in a school like that, part of the reason she cherishes parties and fun.

Edited by Total Lunar Eclipse
  • Brohoof 2

We weren't allowed to have cell phones on us at all. They were to be left in lockers or our cars. They didn't seem to realize how problematic this was. I went to a HUGE high school, and I didn't drive. This meant by the rules it wasn't logical for me to bring my cell phone at all. I had to ride a bus home, which left like five minutes after the last class ended. And as I said the high school was huge. There was no realistic chance for me to even use my locker during the day, much less after school when trying to get to the bus.

• Brohoof 2

The school I currently attend restricts the wearing of jackets/coats with hoods. Said jackets/coats must be black or grey, no other colors (same with shoed). Students are not allowed to paint their nails or wear more than one earing in each ear (no hoops or earrings that dangle).

• Brohoof 1

We weren't alowed to wear orange clothes on the day our national soccer team would play a big game. The netherlands national colour is orange and we LOVE our soccer. When a big game is on, the whole frigging country turns orange but not our school.

Funny thing is that the rule actually had the opposite effect, students would wear orange on those days on purpose to piss off the school because of how stupid that rule is. 

• Brohoof 1

Most pointless as in did literally nothing?  "No public displays of affection on campus" rule did nothing whatsoever. People were still hugging and kissing in the hallways, even though the rule forbade it... Seriously, what was the point of it in the first place? It's not distracting whatsoever between class... In class is another issue entirely, but still flat out banning it is stupid.

Most pointless as in dumbest? Almost the entirety of the boy's dress code. It is sexist BS that's there for no good reason. They literally had to make a separate dress code for boys. That's just stupid to me, and I have no understanding of it whatsoever. If they really have such a big problem with boys wearing earrings, why not ban them on girls too? I guess they never really cared for the idea of equality between the sexes, quite clearly.

Edited by ~Dusky~

My high school banned backpacks from the classrooms. They had to be in your locker at all times unless you were arriving at school or leaving. Officially it was because they could somehow be obstruct movement in classrooms.

Also, this was shortly after the Boston Marathon attack and a bomb threat at my school, all within a couple weeks of one another. The administrators didn't explicitly tell us that the backpack rule was a security precaution, but a lot of students, including myself, believed it. And the administrators didn't deny it.

5 minutes ago, Summer Breeze said:

We weren't alowed to wear orange clothes on the day our national soccer team would play a big game. The netherlands national colour is orange and we LOVE our soccer. When a big game is on, the whole frigging country turns orange but not our school.

Funny thing is that the rule actually had the opposite effect, students would wear orange on those days on purpose to piss off the school because of how stupid that rule is. 

I'd do exactly that,

I'd proabaly even wear orange facepaint as well.

If you have an injury,

It's against the rules in my school to not bring your kit, 

EVEN IF YOU CAN'T DO P.E. DUE TO AN INJURY, 

Seriously, I think the head of P.E. must have been high to make that a rule,

I WAS GAVE DETENTION BECAUSE I NEVER BROUGHT MY KIT IN BECAUSE MY CAT SCRATCHED ME SO MUCH I COULDN'T WALK PROPERLY, WTF, AND THE RULES ARE FULL OF LIES ASWELL, I GO TO ONE OF THE WORST SCHOOLS IN MY CITY AND THE RULES SAY "BEST RESULTS IN THE CITY" IN IT WHEN IT HAS SOME OF THE WORST RESULTS IN THE CITY IN EVERYTHING.

RANT OVER!

At my school, if your shoes weren't pointy enough, you'd get suspended.
If you weren't wearing full uniform at all times, (shirt, tie, blazer, dress shoes), you'd get suspended.

Also, you weren't allowed to go to the bathroom during class AT ALL, no matter the circumstances. 

It wasn't even a private school or anything, it was a public high school packed with junkies and neds. God only knows why they were so unnecessarily strict with their rules. Additionally, if you were to fail even one of the preliminary exams before your finals, you would get kicked off the class in which you failed the prelim. No excuses.

Safe to say, my school wasn't the best.  :orly: