Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is there a religion in Equestria?

Wonderbolt Slipstream

I think the only thing close to religion, that have taken a place in the show, was Starlight's - Equality for all. :muffins:

of course I'm joking. it was a political ideology, but it's sure looked like some cult.

I know, you was probably seeking for a real sign of religion in the show, but if i'm correct, there is none.

• Brohoof 1

7 minutes ago, Ethan Tran said:

I think the only thing close to religion, that have taken a place in the show, was Starlight's - Equality for all. :muffins:

of course I'm joking. it was a political ideology, but it's sure looked like some cult.

I know, you was probably seeking for a real sign of religion in the show, but if i'm correct, there is none.

And thankfully it should stay that way in the canon show. If you want to see Religion in the World of Equestria, I'm sure there's plenty of fan fiction to give that kind of situation.

• Brohoof 1

29 minutes ago, Ethan Tran said:

I was gonna say "Starlight had a cult but that's different from a religion" but I just didn't.

22 minutes ago, SwitchGuy2018 said:

And thankfully it should stay that way in the canon show. If you want to see Religion in the World of Equestria, I'm sure there's plenty of fan fiction to give that kind of situation.

I agree, I was just wondering if there was something.

• Brohoof 1

If there's magic then there should be some sort of religion in Equestria right?

Edited by TBD

1 minute ago, BronyNumber42licious said:

No, magic and religion are different things.

Sorta but they do ties together in some ways. Since religions somewhat believes in supernatural, magic could fall in supernatural depending on how you look at it.  

• Brohoof 3

There hasn't been any real indication of any form of religion in Equestria, the closest I can think of was the brief funeral scene in Hearts and Hooves Day.

Untitled.png.f232ad7e0176559d00855f54331a0470.png

Of course a funeral in itself isn't necessarily a religious ceremony, but the old chap conducting the service is wearing a collar similar to that worn by Christian clergyman in our world.  Again this doesn't constitute concrete evidence, but in conjunction with the candles and the book it does suggest that it is a ritualistic event, which may or may not be religious in nature.

Religion is all about faith, and since time immemorial natural forces such as the movement of the sun and the moon and the changing of the seasons have been attributed to deities of one description or another.  What happens to faith when such forces are easily explained?  When you have regularly seen with your own eyes the beings that move the sun and the moon, and when you yourself have a role to play in changing the seasons is there really any room left for faith in a higher power?

• Brohoof 3

No they do not have a religion. With very good reason I might add. There really isn't a god or gods in their world and they've understood how their world works from the get go. 

In most fictional worlds with a religion, their gods are a real and present player in their lives. The fact that they exist and they expect their followers to behave a certain way is just as normal as anything else. My little Pony does not have these gods, or even the concept of gods, because they understand and control their world of their own power. Heck the closest thing they have to a god is the Tree of Harmony, and that was created by ponies for ponies.

I emphasize the fact that they understand their world because of the other reason religion develops. Back in the infancy of humanity, religion played a crucial role in bringing us from roaming hunter gatherers to tribal peoples. Though their understanding of the world was quite flawed and misinformed, they were able to create a system of rewards and punishments that were doled out by ethereal higher powers, and thus people who believed in those made up beings were more likely to cooperate in their society instead of acting for their own personal interests. While we no longer need religion today as we understand how the world works and the benefits of working together, the vestiges of that evolutionary adaptation still sticks around. The Ponies on the other hand began with a herd mentality. They already were working together, and they already had a better grasp of how the world worked to where such explanations weren't necessary. 

That said, I doubt the writers intended such an interesting commentary on how different types of intelligent creatures would understandably develop their society differently, but even so it makes perfect sense in canon why they wouldn't have one. 

Edited by Buck Testa
  • Brohoof 2

4 minutes ago, Concerned Bystander said:

There hasn't been any real indication of any form of religion in Equestria, the closest I can think of was the brief funeral scene in Hearts and Hooves Day.

Untitled.png.f232ad7e0176559d00855f54331a0470.png

Of course a funeral in itself isn't necessarily a religious ceremony, but the old chap conducting the service is wearing a collar similar to that worn by Christian clergyman in our world.  Again this doesn't constitute concrete evidence, but in conjunction with the candles and the book it does suggest that it is a ritualistic event, which may or may not be religious in nature.

Religion is all about faith, and since time immemorial natural forces such as the movement of the sun and the moon and the changing of the seasons have been attributed to deities of one description or another.  What happens to faith when such forces are easily explained?  When you have regularly seen with your own eyes the beings that move the sun and the moon, and when you yourself have a role to play in changing the seasons is there really any room left for faith in a higher power?

Good eyes and explanation right there.

• Brohoof 1

31 minutes ago, TBD said:

Sorta but they do ties together in some ways. Since religions somewhat believes in supernatural, magic could fall in supernatural depending on how you look at it.  

Religion believing in super natural does not imply super naturalists believing in religion.

There can be 2 kinds of magic: Devine and arcane, if you will. Devine magic is granted by some diety. While arcane magic is harnessing the forces of nature. Equestrian magic appears to be arcane. Nopony prays to any diety for their magic.

4 minutes ago, BronyNumber42licious said:

Religion believing in super natural does not imply super naturalists believing in religion.

There can be 2 kinds of magic: Devine and arcane, if you will. Devine magic is granted by some diety. While arcane magic is harnessing the forces of nature. Equestrian magic appears to be arcane. Nopony prays to any diety for their magic.

So then maybe there's the possibility that instead of religion in equestria there's cults instead? ya know black magic and such.:huh: 

Doesn't seem like it. Why would there be? 

Religion was a tool of early man to rationalize events and behaviors within nature, space, time, and circumstance. Everything had to have a reason for being. Every action, a purpose. 

Equestira doesn't ask those questions because they already have the answers. 

Why does the sun set and the moon rise? Well first it was the unicorns. Then it was Celestia and Luna. 

Why did it rain for 40 days and nights? The pegasai scheduled it. 

Why do the crops yield a bountiful harvest? Because the earth ponies did their job and did it well. 

Why was there chaos in the land? Probably Discord. 

What caused so much destruction and havok, bring blight and despair upon the land? Either a villian or a magical mcguffin. 

What fixed it? Probably between 6-8 heroes and another magical mcguffin. 

Where does evil go when vanquished? Either redemption to the very real virtues of friendship and harmony, or literal hell (tarturus). 

There is no ambiguity or doubt that exists in humanity. No question of the will of the divine. Cause that divine, that inteligence that drives the world, is the ponies themselves. They drive the world. Not some cosmic entity(s). 

No need for faith, when God is either reading your friendship letter, or helping you write it.

The religion of Friendshipism! 

The religion of Lovist!

The religion of Discord (chaos)!

The religions of the Celestial and Lun!

The religion of Sombradam (Darkness)!

I can keep going! ;)

Edited by MegaSean45
  • Brohoof 2

Many people here seem to think there isn't a religion in Equestria, but I'm honestly kinda like, well why wouldn't there be a religion?Just because we haven't seen a whole lot of religious elements in Equestria doesn't mean that they don't have a religion, maybe it's just a fairly low-key religion, or maybe only older ponies in Equestria follow a religion, it honestly would really be un-realistic for Equestria to not have a religion. Think about it, religion has existed for thousands of years in our world, and Equestria has been around for several thousand years too, and probably over that time has developed again, a probably low-key religion that doesn't necessarily require a lot of commitment to it.    

7 hours ago, Concerned Bystander said:

what happens to faith when such forces are easily explained, holds a different meaning in equestria than in our world. One might say we've yet to truly witness our deities, or they don't interfere. The obvious go to for potential deities in Equestria are Princess Celestia and Princess Luna. They're sovereign rulers and interact with the public, and many seem to take this as reason to not consider them as truly higher powers. Why though? Is this not what the Greek gods did from time to time? Were they all immune to the efforts of mankind? I see this more as something that would cement ones faith. To have the opportunity to meet a deity. They may not be the most powerful when compared to those of earth, or even others in their world such as Tirek at full strength or Discord. But gods have a huge variety of holy tasks. They don't all create life or a dedicated place for it's end. And in a world where you know for certain that a higher being sits on a throne, why pray to them when you can write a letter and actually recieve a response? The princesses may have diminished their godly portrayal, but they're still have their pedestals.

Although I would argue that there are gods in Equestria, in part because I think you can make of them as you wish based upon their influence, but I wouldn't say there is religion. We see reference of significance, not worship. Religion does not exist without the latter.

While the show may never go there, I don't think people swearing by Celestia makes her a "God" and is worshiped. IT more like Aceint knights going "By the king mantle" or something liek that or "For the Queen and country" sort of.  I mean, sure we seen funeral once, but that not necessary a church thing.

8 hours ago, MegaSean45 said:

The religion of Friendshipism!

I know tha a joke but in MLP it really really seems like a religion.
Bad changeling suffering and forever hungry
Redeamed changlinged are cured and never go hungry again
Just seems like a familar line from the Bible about drinking the waters of god and such. Eh i'm thinking ot much into it

• Brohoof 2

Random thought I just had. Religion would be very difficult to start in today's Equestria, since a potential holy figure could be Twilight, only so many ponies knew her before she became an Alicorn, and she's one of the most educated ponies in Equestria, and I don't see those things boding well for any newly found worship groups.

23 minutes ago, SharpWit said:

Random thought I just had. Religion would be very difficult to start in today's Equestria, since a potential holy figure could be Twilight, only so many ponies knew her before she became an Alicorn, and she's one of the most educated ponies in Equestria, and I don't see those things boding well for any newly found worship groups.

Now that you mention it, I could see why

On 4/18/2018 at 9:25 AM, Slipstream95 said:

I'm just asking this because we really don't know if there is anything of the sort in Equestria (which I guess kudos to the writers for that). I know we have the princesses but that doesn't really constitute a religion.

If there was any religion then I am pretty sure its going to follow Ancient Greek thematic. Celestia is Zeus Discord  is Eris Luna is Hera, Twilight is a heroic demigod. Gods weren't, like, divine and perfect beings, they made the same mistakes as humans, and had the same flows as humans

Edited by R.D.Dash
  • Brohoof 1

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 9:05 PM, Slipstream95 said:

Now that you mention it, I could see why

We might have something.

Spoiler

Season 8, Episode 7, "Horse Play"

Spoiler

Thanks to Raspberry Beret and her game of charades with Celestia, we got a very intriguing mouthful of a word.

Antidisestablishmentarianism.thumb.png.061801de0d24fc1b5bfc3a765b6f12e7.png

Antidisestablishmentarianism: opposition to the withdrawal of state support or recognition from an established church, especially the Anglican Church in 19th-century England.

Edited by SharpWit

1 hour ago, SharpWit said:

We might have something.

Hide contents

Season 8, Episode 7, "Horse Play"

Hide contents

Thanks to Raspberry Beret and her game of charades with Celestia, we got a very intriguing mouthful of a word.

Antidisestablishmentarianism.thumb.png.061801de0d24fc1b5bfc3a765b6f12e7.png

Antidisestablishmentarianism: opposition to the withdrawal of state support or recognition from an established church, especially the Anglican Church in 19th-century England.

Oooooooo, nice find, I didn't think about that

Well, they seem to have terms of holy and religious beings, like angels (Angel bunny), and devil costumes (Nightmare Night), and also seem to use Celestia's name in nstances where "God" would normally be put in the phrase (for Celestia's / God's sake), so I wouldn't doubt it. 

• 1 year later...

No there isn’t. Ponies just did not think of the idea of having gods or deities to worship, whereas us humans did. I have gone through and read many articles on why we conjured up religions in the first place and I found some reasons why that are the opposite to how ponies benefitted to their civilisation. 

Instead of using religion to form peace between individuals, ponies instead used friendship as seen in the episode ‘Hearth’s Warming Eve’ before the founding of Equestria when all 3 pony groups realised that friendship was the key they used each other to work together. We used religion to form peace between individuals, however though ponies used friendship as apposed to religion in this sense.

Religion has been also used to form societies and organise political views. Ponies have used magic instead of using religion in that sense, seeing as Celestia and Luna have the most powerful magical forces than any other pony in Equestria. 

I hope this cleared it up for everyone.