Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Sunset Shimmer a tomboy?

HorsesandMOARGaloar

It seems that with her biker outfit (in the first movie and the later animated series onwards) and her lack of focus on fashion and makeup (unlike Rarity and her friends) makes Sunset seem more like a tomboy, like Rainbow and Applejack.

Do you think Sunset is a tomboy or not?

39 minutes ago, HorsesandMOARGaloar said:

It seems that with her biker outfit (in the first movie and the later animated series onwards) and her lack of focus on fashion and makeup (unlike Rarity and her friends) makes Sunset seem more like a tomboy, like Rainbow and Applejack.

Do you think Sunset is a tomboy or not?

We would need to see more of her charactor, the only times we've seen her is when her world is under attack so we haven't seen as much of her character as would be needed to see if she is a tomboy

(edited)

Eh, maybe but I wouldn't consider a leather jacket indicative of that since I know a lot of people, both men and women, that own one and it's not out of a need to look tough or anything. There are times where such a jacket is very fashionable.

Edited by SharpWit
  • Brohoof 2

On 6/14/2018 at 12:17 AM, ZethaPonderer said:

Possibly. She does wear manly looking clothes in the movies soo it is one of the many traits to identify a tomboy.

are you saying that being/ dressing like a biker is exclusively for men? =_=;

• Brohoof 1

11 minutes ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

are you saying that being/ dressing like a biker is exclusively for men? =_=;

Not necessarily. I admit my choice of words are poorly thought out in this case making me sound sexist although I didn’t mean to imply that. Just stated what I said unfiltered out of impulse which came from my upbringing where I’ve encountered mostly Male Bikers who make such a big deal showing off their own Leather Jackets. I’ve yet to encounter a Female Biker XD.

Besides anyone no matter what their gender can wear whatever they want, but it doesn’t necessarily mean they like what they’re wearing. Sure Male Humans CAN wear Dresses and Miniskirts. But, do most Male Humans LIKE wearing Miniskirts and Dresses? Vice versa for Female Humans.

She could very well be a tomboy but then from what I've seen, Equestria Girls hasn't exactly provided a strong case for her to be classified as such. I mean, she still wears dresses and acts in a manner similar to her friends, but she is also aloof at times seeing as she is different from them due to where she comes from.

• 5 weeks later...

In some aspects, I would say that Sunset has displayed herself as a tomboy. Although, you can also argue that she has shown some feminine quirks, in addition to that. With this in mind, I can't say that I'm certain of either. The possibility isn't completely out of the question, though.

4 hours ago, Cash In said:

In some aspects, I would say that Sunset has displayed herself as a tomboy. Although, you can also argue that she has shown some feminine quirks, in addition to that. With this in mind, I can't say that I'm certain of either. The possibility isn't completely out of the question, though.

Same can be said with Pony Twi. Despite changing a lot from pre princess, she has constantly shown in the movie to be one who are willing to fight

Honestly; the only one I would realistically call a tomboy is Rainbow Dash. Applejack just seems more like a country farm girl, while Sunset Shimmer feels feminine; just not on the level of Rarity, Fluttershy, or even Twilight. I just see her having different interests; nothing more.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, PathfinderCS said:

Honestly; the only one I would realistically call a tomboy is Rainbow Dash. Applejack just seems more like a country farm girl, while Sunset Shimmer feels feminine; just not on the level of Rarity, Fluttershy, or even Twilight. I just see her having different interests; nothing more.

Well, after all she seems to know she's hot and has to keep her look :bedeyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Just going by the clothes she wears, she could be more masculine than some of her friends, but not as tomboyish as RD or AJ. If I were to rank the Mane 7 from most feminine to most masculine, it'd probably go something like this:

Rarity (most feminine)

Fluttershy

Pinkie Pie

Twilight Sparkle

Sunset Shimmer

Rainbow Dash

Applejack (most masculine)

• Brohoof 1

On 6/15/2018 at 11:26 AM, ZethaPonderer said:

Not necessarily. I admit my choice of words are poorly thought out in this case making me sound sexist although I didn’t mean to imply that. Just stated what I said unfiltered out of impulse which came from my upbringing where I’ve encountered mostly Male Bikers who make such a big deal showing off their own Leather Jackets. I’ve yet to encounter a Female Biker XD.

Besides anyone no matter what their gender can wear whatever they want, but it doesn’t necessarily mean they like what they’re wearing. Sure Male Humans CAN wear Dresses and Miniskirts. But, do most Male Humans LIKE wearing Miniskirts and Dresses? Vice versa for Female Humans.

I suppose I see your point. Women can wear whatever they want to wear, and men? Well, they can't wear dresses, or anything "girly" for that matter.

And I thought that the term "tomboy" was an abandoned one?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
9 hours ago, Melody2222 said:

I suppose I see your point. Women can wear whatever they want to wear, and men? Well, they can't wear dresses, or anything "girly" for that matter.

And I thought that the term "tomboy" was an abandoned one?

Not unless the men are transexuals or cross-dressers... or cosplayers dressing up their favorite Sailor Moon character [insert Magical Girl Anime Here]. My point was that any Human Being regardless of their gender or sex can wear whatever they want. It’s a possibility especially on this age where most of anything goes thanks to the Internet.

Nope, some people use the term tomboy to describe a lady that’s not into ladylike things as much as the rest of her peers and is more into stuff that men generally take joy in or other non-traditional means. Plus, they’re not afraid to get their hands dirty on anything they do. Love these type of women personally speaking as long as they are proud of being a woman.

Edited by ZethaPonderer
Omitting the word ‘are’ after the word ‘that’ underlined.

Fair point. Sorry, my mom is extremely religious, and thus I am new to anything LGBTQ. (I research it in secret.)

Ahh, okay. I just heard that the term is offensive these days, or at the very least, is outdated. I think the replacement term is a trans woman.

As you said above, in this day and age, people can be whatever they want, regardless of their sex or gender. Thus, the term "tomboy" means a woman who isn't entirely feminine. But going back, a woman or a man can be whatever they want, with very little to nothing holding them back. Plus, gender norms are being abolished. Thus, don't you think that the term "tomboy" must go completely?

• 4 weeks later...