Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How about all antagonists being reformed before G4 ends?

Jirehlov

How about all antagonists being reformed before G4 ends?  

18 users have voted

1. 1. Which of the following predictions do you prefer?

• There'll be no antagonists left.
    • There'll be, at least, one antagonist left not reformed.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 2018-12-06 at 11:49 PM

There'd been many reformed antagonists: Luna, Starlight, Sunset, Discord......

There're also many antagonists that are still considered evil (totally or partly): Cozy Glow, Tirek, Queen Chrysalis.....

Which of the following predictions do you prefer?

1.There'll be no antagonists left not reformed before G4 ends. Or, at least, EACH villain will be explained overtly to be good in one way.

2.There'll be, at least, one antagonist left not reformed before G4 ends. Or, in another word, there's REALLY unchangeable darkness in Equestria.

I choose the latter.

Sorry for my poor English. I'm not a native speaker.

Edited by Jirehlov
  • Brohoof 1

I'm going with the latter as well. I don't see why they would need to sugarcoat the ending or abruptly bring new supporting characters to the cast right at the end when we're full on characters as it is. For example, what would the Storm King have to offer the good guys if they brought him back? :P There's also a chance that another "good character" might come into the picture and end up just like Cozy Glow. I know things can change, but the writers promising that they were never going to reform all the villains is a promise I think they'll make good on. 

• Brohoof 1

I've never been a fan of having every villain reformed. It's not realistic or even effective. Having antagonists is what gives a show plot. Not everyone wants to be friends or to change their ways into a nice convenient cookie-cutter finish that makes everything perfect with just a few well-chosen lines of script. If you want a show with some teeth, it shouldn't sugar coat everything with a pat finale. I'd love to see a villain that not only remains a villain at the end of G4, but one that could even carry over to G5. It would be an interesting way to tie two generations of the show together and give the ponies something to really work on. If they want reform a baddie, let them go the distance and make it pay off all the more when (or if) it happens.

• Brohoof 2

Reforming every single villain just doesn't sound all that realistic. A youngster like Cozy Glow is one thing. A being like Tirek who is practically the embodiment of all evil in the universe of Equestria is another. Not every real world monster becomes repentant during their lifetime... that's just the way it is. I feel like it only makes sense to carry that idea over to MLP.

Now, some of the most interesting characters are villains who are forced to take the side of the protagonists in order to fight for a common goal, as well as antiheroes who may have abandoned pure villainy but don't necessarily regret everything they've done in the past. One of my favorite fictional villains is Dragon Ball Z's Frieza, who is pure evil most of the time but goes as far as cooperating with the heroes in the last arc of Dragon Ball Super when the entire universe is in danger of being erased from existence. He's still a selfish, unrepentant monster, but even he begins to show some respect to those he has fought against in the past.

I like the idea of developing a villain's character and putting them in new situations to show their depth. But flat-out reforming every villain just doesn't feel realistic.

• Brohoof 2

• 1 year later...