Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv WTF is wrong with movie critics?

KillerKingBakudan

Is it just me, or are they pushing some sort of agenda? When you consistently get such a dramatic difference in scores between critics and everybody else on Rotten Tomatoes, that's how you know something isn't right. Almost every movie I've seen in the last few years has gotten trashed by these people for reasons that are either devoid of any coherence, or just carelessly stupid, because their reputation is supposed to make the general audiences' opinions null and void.

I swear, their reviews always make me feel like Rainbow Dash listening to Quibble Pants shitting on the Daring Do books.

• Brohoof 4

Rotten Tomatoes doesn't really mean jack to me anymore. There are still good critics out there who watch the films with an objective mindset and review them honestly, but now that we're even having cases of critics confessing that they felt like they had to give movies they actually didn't think too highly of good reviews, I no longer use their scores as a serious guideline. I'm much more trusting of the general word of mouth now as a guideline. Truthfully speaking, critics have always had their biases and predictable takes, but now, it is just painfully easy to tell which movies are going to get reviewed well and which movies will get reviewed poorly with a simple formula. If it is pro-identity politics, it gets good reviews even while everyone you talk to says that it's mediocre or awful, and if it has irked the pro-identity politics crowd in any way, it's going to get mixed or negative reviews even if everyone you talk to says it's great.   

• Brohoof 4

An objective summarization of the film that is clean from the polarization that so well represent the ignorant human ego.

There's only the object, and nothing else. Not even the slightest sign of a mere thought. This clean observation doesn't produce an opinion, it simply observes.

Not a sound to obscure the emptiness that is pure perception. In other words, I don't watch movies. But, I do notice polarization in your voice, which is why I think, you and the "critics" deserve each other.

Do you understand this reaction? You give it purpose, significance, as do they. So, why do you give meaning to mere noise?

It's like a hit and miss for me. Sometime I would agreed with the critics and sometime I don't. But how I imagine these critic to be like, is  probably  some old fart who just judge the movie by the hype it's either getting or not. 

• Brohoof 2

I can say for certain that Rotten Tomatoes scores mean NOTHING to me. They seem to always have an EXTREMELY obvious bias towards Marvel and Disney films and a bias against most others. I've even seen reviews that seem to talk about a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT MOVIE than what I saw when I watched said movies.

IMDb is OKAY, but even they get it wrong pretty often. Their scores are usually less biased, but they still sometimes make no sense whatsoever.

As a whole, though, critics seem to either be corrupt or have a twisted sense of quality as a whole. This goes even more so for video games than movies...

• Brohoof 1

Consistency is all a critic has to maintain credibility, so they used to be required at give consideration to their critiques and back it up with some explanation. But there’s so little professionalism now that they don’t even take the time to make a coherent, let alone in-depth review. Movie critics have the easiest job in the world and they too often associate it with a degree of celebrity and public exposure, which inflates their ego and makes them forget they actually have a job to do. They like to hear themselves talk, having very little idea what they're even saying, so they serve no purpose. 

• Brohoof 2

It’s worth noting that Rotten Tomatoes scores is not the actual score it’s, just the percentage of people who liked the movie vs those who don’t, and the way it’s scored is questionable to say the least. Like a movie that has a 100% could have all of its scores from several critics be like, a 6/10, but because a 6/10 is just above “Rotten” it counts as a fresh rating 

• Brohoof 3

People have opinions and preferences.

If I reviewed "Car Chases and Explosions IV" and then reviewed "Period Drama Tragic Comedy" I am likely to have rather different views on the sort of thing I like vs not-really-my-cup-of-tea.

Same will apply for any critic, it's difficult to separate the self from the pure objective assessment of the film.

• Brohoof 2

I stopped listening to critics forever ago because a good portion of the time they are going against the general public's opinions and to me... that defeats the purpose of the job. People used to look to them to learn if a movie was worth paying to see, but they have become so disconnected from the general public that they are now worthless to me.

Sorry if this view offends people, but I take the opinions of people who have to pay to see movies more seriously than someone being paid to see them.

I'd venture to guess that everyone who has already responded to this thread probably cares a lot more about what film critics say than most, despite their efforts of insisting to the contrary.

Everyone has an opinion on a movie and it's not a critic's job to ensure their opinions match the consensus to a T. But whatever anecdotal evidence you can pull to "prove" they have no "credibility", they do tend to match up with the general public's perception more often than not; even if it does mean they're "biased" toward Disney movies. No one likes it when critics trash their interests, but you have to learn to be ok with some people disliking the stuff you like and not take it personally.

Edited by n1029
  • Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

Everyone, please promise me you will never trust Rotten Tomatoes again. 

Yup, Rotten Tomatoes admitted that they deleted those 50,000 audience reviews. :mlp_toldya: It was not a glitch, this is an actual "professional" website confessing without even realizing it that they legitimately are worse than these "trolls" for falling to their level and taking the bait. :mlp_maud: It's official, the saying, "It got good reviews on Rotten Tomatoes", literally means nothing anymore. Listen to independent reviewers who are known for viewing things objectively, always. 

• Brohoof 5

On 2/23/2019 at 1:33 AM, n1029 said:

I'd venture to guess that everyone who has already responded to this thread probably cares a lot more about what film critics say than most, despite their efforts of insisting to the contrary.

Everyone has an opinion on a movie and it's not a critic's job to ensure their opinions match the consensus to a T. But whatever anecdotal evidence you can pull to "prove" they have no "credibility", they do tend to match up with the general public's perception more often than not; even if it does mean they're "biased" toward Disney movies. No one likes it when critics trash their interests, but you have to learn to be ok with some people disliking the stuff you like and not take it personally.

Yeah, sorry but the evidence says otherwise on almost all counts. Going to have to respectfully disagree with the entirety of your argument there. Especially that first sentence which I find quite disrespectful to all the people here.

Edited by Guest

13 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

Everyone, please promise me you will never trust Rotten Tomatoes again. 

Yup, Rotten Tomatoes admitted that they deleted those 50,000 audience reviews. :mlp_toldya: It was not a glitch, this is an actual "professional" website confessing without even realizing it that they legitimately are worse than these "trolls" for falling to their level and taking the bait. :mlp_maud: It's official, the saying, "It got good reviews on Rotten Tomatoes", literally means nothing anymore. Listen to independent reviewers who are known for viewing things objectively, always. 

Rotten Tomatoes used to be a good metric if a movie was generally considered to be good or not. But something happened happened in the past few years (could be longer than that) that they have been caught manipulating scores to either push or punish a movie by deleting reviews. 

There are a few critics that I listen to because I trust their honesty like Chris Stuckman. 

• Brohoof 1

On 3/14/2019 at 5:43 AM, Zkrahs Yek said:

Yeah, sorry but the evidence says otherwise on almost all counts. Going to have to respectfully disagree with the entirety of your argument there. Especially that first sentence which I find quite disrespectful to all the people here.

Call it disrespectful if you want, but as a rule the people who really don't care about something don't feel the need to announce it.

Most of the biggest earning blockbusters have at least decent reviews with a few exceptions, but I see critics as more of a distillation of the public reaction to films than a force that controls what they decide to see. If they like a movie, chances are the audience it's aimed at will like it too. The vice versa is true too eventually once the need for saving face wears off.

Edited by n1029

2 hours ago, n1029 said:

Call it disrespectful if you want, but as a rule the people who really don't care about something don't feel the need to announce it.

That's not really a rule. If someone else asks you what your opinion on movie critics is and you don't care it's safe to say you're going to answer. I 

Yeah unfortunately I do believe there is an agenda going on with the "Left" (Not trying to be political) but they try to hide all the bad they're doing, btw I'm New Here I'm glad to talk to other MLP fans :)

1 hour ago, Celli said:

That's not really a rule. If someone else asks you what your opinion on movie critics is and you don't care it's safe to say you're going to answer. I 

That's if you're asked directly. This is an open thread that isn't demanding a response. 

I've become real savvy about the way fan communities work from years of patronizing film sites. Everyone hangs on film critics' every word when they're loving their movie, but they look for any dirt to discredit the critics when they're not.

• Brohoof 1

Rotten Tomatoes had became a kind of a joke to me, where an audience score had became more valuable than a tomato score itself. Also all the critics are bribed off, so you can't expect them to be honest.

6 hours ago, n1029 said:

That's simply untrue.

4 hours ago, R.D.Dash said:

Rotten Tomatoes had became a kind of a joke to me, where an audience score had became more valuable than a tomato score itself. Also all the critics are bribed off, so you can't expect them to be honest.

Do you have real evidence of this that doesn't just involve liking/hating movies you don't? They're at least more honest than that campaign to downvote Captain Marvel before it even released that was the reason the audience reviews got removed. (And I didn't even like that movie either) 

Edited by n1029
  • Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, n1029 said:

Do you have real evidence of this that doesn't just involve liking/hating movies you don't?

It boggles my mind when I see some movies get a near perfect rating they do while on opposite side the audience score is completely negative.  (All the drama behind the PC movies this days)

And then they are some other movies where the data is reversed with critics trashing the movie and the audience liking it or average

Then I go and see what's going on and then one of the points point out that maybe, just maybe that the parent company bought another child company (Disney/Fox) and now that parent company paying of critics for their good reviews

Edited by R.D.Dash
  • Brohoof 3