Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should more have been done with the pillars?

ManaMinori

i keep thinking that we were introduced to 6 new characters in fairly rushed past zero to hero stories, and gotr this grand event where they were pulled from limbo to make a comeback, because Twilight's stupidity, fangirling, ad severe lack of foresight, but that was all we got with them. Starswirl got a cameo on how he was learning more on friendship, and Rockhoof got a fish out of water story afterward, but the other pillars were glossed over in that same episode. I really would've liked to see more interaction with them and the Mane 6, or better yet, the student 6,as was the case with Rockhoof and Yona (barely).

should more have been done with the Pillars and main or secondary characters?

• Brohoof 1

Again, that's what fan fiction is for.

And they had some official comic book stories made about their lives.

Edited by Will Guide

Starswirl arguably has had plenty of character development despite not appearing in person until the end of season seven. He was referenced every now and again throughout seasons one through six so we knew some things about him prior to what his ultimate fate became with regards to him and the other pillars being imprisoned. I guess the writers either ran out of ideas too soon thus preventing the pillars from having more involvement in the story. Or their superiors had told them to focus on something new resulting in what we got with the school and students.

Like what? I sort of dreaded when I saw them, they we're a original A-Team before the A-Team was a thing, and it felt kinda lazy to me. But I was more than happy to see them stepped away.

The Pillars themselves were excellent heros, I think they should of had a suitable villain that needed to be dealt with more physical means as well, given the theme of some of them (like Chrysalis was dealt with). They just should of had a stronger villain imho.

They're already done what they have to plus a backstory.  But like RockHoof, I would like to see them go through a potential growth in a different direction, since now they're in a world they're not familiar with. The character I think should deserve a HUGE character growth moment(s) is Stygian. S8 would have been a perfect opportunity to explore these characters more. Unfortunately, they just have to come up with another new 6 characters in which I found zero interest in. I hope S9 will explore more on Stygian and the rest of the pillars. 

I think they're gonna do more with them.

I would love them to reform again to fight a dark thing going on. And this time they wouldn't forget a certain somepony they did before...

@TBD

For what it's worth, Stygian is really explored a lot in the comics. There's an entire series that showcases the pillars, and half of it is Stygian's journey to find them, and eventual feeling of inadequacy when they find Starswirl.

But yes, I would adore it if he were to appear again on the show, in the flesh (fur?coat?)  this time.

Edited by Toastypk
  • Brohoof 1

On 3/20/2019 at 1:19 AM, Will Guide said:

Again, that's what fan fiction is for.

And they had some official comic book stories made about their lives.

No it is not. I hate this argument. Fan fiction isn't canon and is completely irrelevant to the show. Fan fiction is neat but it doesn't feel a gap for what could have been a better show story.

Anyways on my opinion. Yes, Big Jims original pitch for both seasons 7 and 8 being about the pillars sounds much better than what we got. Yes the Pillars should have gotten more time, cmapfire tales should have been split into three episodes like Daring Done and A Health of Information, and season 8 should have had a Somnambula episode as behind Rockhoof she had the least development

1 hour ago, RyanMahaffe said:

No it is not. I hate this argument. Fan fiction isn't canon and is completely irrelevant to the show. Fan fiction is neat but it doesn't feel a gap for what could have been a better show story.

Anyways on my opinion. Yes, Big Jims original pitch for both seasons 7 and 8 being about the pillars sounds much better than what we got. Yes the Pillars should have gotten more time, cmapfire tales should have been split into three episodes like Daring Done and A Health of Information, and season 8 should have had a Somnambula episode as behind Rockhoof she had the least development

Nowhere have I ever said fan fiction is canon. I always said that a wasted idea in canon can be potential fuel for fan fiction, which can bring life to ideas that would otherwise be wasted. I've been saying this for years old. Not trying to argue. Just state my opinion

It bothers me when people put words in my mouth that I never said.

The point of my original post was to point out that the Pillars were not necessarily wasted. They had official comics made on them that told a bit more about their lives.

Edited by Will Guide

49 minutes ago, Will Guide said:

Nowhere have I ever said fan fiction is canon. I always said that a wasted idea in canon can be potential fuel for fan fiction, which can bring life to ideas that would otherwise be wasted. I've been saying this for years old. Not trying to argue. Just state my opinion

It bothers me when people put words in my mouth that I never said.

The point of my original post was to point out that the Pillars were not necessarily wasted. They had official comics made on them that told a bit more about their lives.

"that's what fanfiction is for"
Nowhere there does it imply you mean "well they weren't in the show enough so that is good fuel for fanfiction"
If you don't want people interpreting your 5 words differently than you meant, maybe add more context because I am not gonna research your profile to fully comprehend your stance on wasted ideas vs fanfiction.

I do believe they were wasted, the comics were good but as a main season 7 arc I think each pillar should have gotten a solo episode.

• Brohoof 3

After the events of the season 9 premiere, it would be nice seeing their reaction to it, and what further actions should be done!

Didn't spoil! Didn't say what happened! :P 

Edited by FlareGun45

13 hours ago, RyanMahaffe said:

Nowhere there does it imply you mean "well they weren't in the show enough so that is good fuel for fanfiction"
If you don't want people interpreting your 5 words differently than you meant, maybe add more context because I am not gonna research your profile to fully comprehend your stance on wasted ideas vs fanfiction.

I do believe they were wasted, the comics were good but as a main season 7 arc I think each pillar should have gotten a solo episode.

That's your opinion and that's all well and good.

Edited by Will Guide

I would have preferred them over the Student Six, because honestly it's really dumb to introduce six new characters for one season, then to drop them for six more new character for the season after that. I mean people say they already got episodes, but 3 of them had to share one. Not to mention in S8, the only ones to get any more development was Starswirl, the one who already had a ton of focus, and Rockhoof. I really would have liked to see how the rest had to adjust, especially since Flash Magnus and Mistmane have even less to them due to never getting a dedicated episode

On 3/22/2019 at 1:58 PM, RyanMahaffe said:

giphy.gif

• Brohoof 2