Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general When did it become popular for fans to refer to themselves as Stan's?

Phill

(edited)

Recently I've been noticing lots of people say ''We Stan (Insert name of famous person here)'' and I just want to know when did this happen? When these people say they Stan someone, they're clearly making reference to the Eminem song, but that song was about an obsessed fan who ended up killing himself, and his pregnant girlfriend. I don't see how calling yourself a ''Stan'' is a positive thing.

Edited by Phill
  • Brohoof 2

Tumblr started doing it year(s) back. I guess it finally just caught on enough for people to start using it more regularly.

3 hours ago, Shiki said:

Tumblr started doing it year(s) back. I guess it finally just caught on enough for people to start using it more regularly.

It was around before tumblr even actually. 

This isn’t even remotely close to something new. I’m kind of shocked this is just now being discovered by people.  

• Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, Phill said:

Recently I've been noticing lots of people say ''We Stan (Insert name of famous person here)'' and I just want to know when did this happen? When these people say they Stan someone, they're clearly making reference to the Eminem song, but that song was about an obsessed fan who ended up killing himself, and his pregnant girlfriend. I don't see how calling yourself a ''Stan'' is a positive thing.

That’s basically what a Stan is an over obsessive fan. One who disregards anything a real person(as in actors/actresses, musicians, you get the point) or fictional characters that are horrible have done. And yknow constantly shit on other people/characters others enjoy. Basically incredibly obnoxious and toxic fans. 

Because they don’t know where the term came from and don’t realize being a Stan isn’t really something to be proud of. Granted there are some good ones out there but most of them just need to get some help. Constantly being just really toxic and gross in general. 

Why would someone call themself a stan? I seriously have never heard of this before until this thread mentioned it.

• Brohoof 1

8 hours ago, Phill said:

Recently I've been noticing lots of people say ''We Stan (Insert name of famous person here)'

I have quite literally never heard of this until I read the sentence above. Is it a thing?

38 minutes ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

I have quite literally never heard of this until I read the sentence above. Is it a thing?

Yes. It is sadly. Hot tip: just call yourself a big fan of someone or something. The negativity that comes with the phrase Stan isn’t something one wants to be associated with. 

I just came across this term today on the Marvel Studios subreddit. Now I know what it means!

• Brohoof 1

Don't know when it began, but I'm very familiar with it. Sadly, it is NOT a term of endearment; people use it to insult the more toxic fans of something or someone. My guess is they do this "we stan" thing either out of ignorance or to try to reclaim it.

• Brohoof 2

8 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Don't know when it began, but I'm very familiar with it. Sadly, it is NOT a term of endearment; people use it to insult the more toxic fans of something or someone. My guess is they do this "we stan" thing either out of ignorance or to try to reclaim it.

I’d think it’s usually out of ignorance yet I’m sure some might try to reclaim it. Or they aren’t actually being serious when they use the term. 

23 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Similar to reclaiming trash as a positive. Like “I’m Hamilton trash!” 

Anyway, I’m familiar with the term through my kids. I figure I’m at the twilight of such understanding as my kids are now adults and their slang will start to become more and more mature. 

• Brohoof 3

As a follow up, "Stans" reminds me of "smarks" or "marks" from wrestling lingo -- neither of which are endearing terms yet are embraced from time to time.

• Brohoof 2

I've never heard of the term before and I think it sounds pretty lame. I can't imagine using it in any context. Some slang works or has some catchy sound to it, but this just doesn't have anything. 

• Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...

I know the term was heavily used throughout the pop and Kpop scene. I don’t know where it started from but I know fans would...your opinions and such weren’t as respected if you claimed to be a fan of a group/artist and not a stan. “If you don’t practically worship the ground these celebrities walk we don’t want you here.” sort of thing.

I used to use the term when I was younger but not now. I just use whatever fandom name we have.

• Brohoof 1