movies/tv Cats movie

Fluttershutter

This has replaced Joker as my trailer obsession!

Everybody seems to hate it and dancey movies aren't my thing but it looks really creepy-fascinating.

I've never seen the play but I've seen ads for it and the makeup always struck me as creepy and a lot like this.

• Brohoof 2

I have never seen the play so I have no idea what this movie will be about. 

However,

I’ll be the first to say it: This human/cat hybrid thing creeps me out. Everyone I know that has seen this trailer was disturbed by it at least a little bit. The designs of the characters are just plain unsettling.

I digress, though, because I really can’t judge a movie strictly on a character’s physical looks. Will I see it? Probably not. 

• Brohoof 4

I have seen this stageplay, it was great with great costumes and pleasant music, it was a nice surprise. This damn movie though....Judging from the trailer it seems they might get the music right, so that's something, but the visual aspects of it all...it looks like a literal nightmare. Seriously, the titular Cats look horrendous. Instead of having well crafted costumes and makeup like the stageplay, it looks like they had motion capture, then splattered CGI over that and then glued the actor's faces onto that. It looks so bad. The faces are easily the worst part. In the play, from what I remember, the faces had makeup and prosthetics to make them actually look, you know, cat-like and that works. Here, they stuck human faces on these weird cat-human bodies and it just doesn't work. Obviously they did this so people will maybe recognize the oh so important celebrities to appeal to celebrity worship culture, but it isn't worth it. It shows the studio doesn't care about how it all looks, as long as the celebrities are at least somewhat recognizable. 

The music might be the only good part to this film but that's only because it is pulling the music from the play and besides, at that point, you might as well just make it a soundtrack.

• Brohoof 3

Just now, TheAnimationFanatic said:

Honestly, this could have worked if they just had the actors in practical makeup or just made it a full-on animated feature with CGI cats. 

Either would work but CGI would probably still be more preferable to a live action film about anthropomorphic cats. It would still be jarring with practical make-up, but nothing like this horrifying freak show.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, there's definitely an uncanny valley thing going on but I like things that are a little weird and make you a little uncomfortable and then you get over it. They definitely look like real cat people.

I looked it up and the makeup is actually pretty different:

GettyImages_584925302.0.jpg

8 hours ago, TheAnimationFanatic said:

And here I was thinking that "It: Chapter 2" was going to be the scariest movie of 2019..

Yeah, that's a common sentiment. :yeahno: Everybody keeps mentioning the Sonic movie too.

I’m probably not going to see it because it’s not my thing (Also I don’t understand why cats are animated over people. I think furry suits would’ve made more sense). It’s not the worst thing I’ve seen but I really have no reason to see it since I don’t like watching long dance sequences as well. :twi:

• Brohoof 2

Looks interesting! Cats isn’t my favorite Broadway show by a long shot, but it still intrigues me so I’ll probably have to give it a try. I’m fine with the costume design. They’re trying to capture the essence of human performers and thus be (somewhat) true to the original show, while streamlining the makeup enough to give it a new look and take advantage of movie effects and costuming. Making this an all-out animated film would be interesting, but they’re trying to please fans of the Broadway show and want to keep that 'live' look and feeling.  

• Brohoof 2

On 8/8/2019 at 8:10 AM, Lucky Bolt said:

In all honesty...this looks weird af 

Exactly. the characters either look like they're humans turning into cats, or cats turning into humans.

On 8/8/2019 at 4:20 AM, Dreambiscuit said:

Making this an all-out animated film would be interesting, but they’re trying to please fans of the Broadway show and want to keep that 'live' look and feeling.  

Nothing wrong with an animated adaptation of a Broadway musical.

• Brohoof 1

When I was in High School, I remember watching Soul Eater. There was a cat girl in that show that lives with the main characters. 

46CC49B4-8C1C-4A22-AB55-E2940B63BC8A.thumb.png.ce7a6576e9e2c148319c2c1fc3649963.png

Why couldn’t they have just done this instead of make the actors look like furries? This movie’s animation scheme is BONKERS