Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Nickname for your city

Narcissus

Some cities already have nicknames (The Big Apple, The Windy City, Biggest Little City in the World) but most cities don’t. Does your hometown/city have a nickname? And if it doesn’t, what nickname would you give it and why?   

Edited by Narcissus

I don't think my city has a nickname, but it used to be called Porcalhota about a hundred years ago, which can mean anything from pigpen to a filthy female.. I don't know why.

In Iowa we have a town we call sewer city because it always smells like waste! I think it's because there are meet packing plants and lagoons so it always smells terrible.

• Brohoof 1

My hometown's name is Bergen op Zoom and its nickname is 't Krabbegat which translates to the Crabhole. It's a carnival thing, I'm not exactly sure how it originated. During carnival people like to hang big crabs on their houses (not real crabs, obviously) and refer to themselves as krabben (crabs). I've never understood why my hometown likes crabs so much:D

• Brohoof 4

My hometown is Enschede, which has a nickname:

• Enschede - Pluskut, Krekkelstad (carnavalsname)

While it is a city in The Netherlands, 'Krekkel' is Norwegian for cricket I believe. So Krekkelstad is Cricketcity during carnaval? Pluskut is not something to repeat here... :D

Edited by Hierok

The city is called “there are too many frickin’ people and potheads”

Seriously, there are too many people moving here and the traffic has gotten worse because of it. Builders would takes down stores just to build more apartments and houses.  Wish the government could build wall around it. 

Well, Nicknames for cities are not so common in germany. But some Cities have nicknames. And Bonn is usually called "Bundesstadt" (german for federal city) because it was the former capital city of germany at the time when germany was split in west and east. And even Berlin is now the capital, Bonn is the second capital city where a few ministries have their seat. The Bundesrad and the german president also have their second seats there. Ok, it is actually a titel and not a nickname, but it is also often used as a nickname for Bonn.

Bonn is also often used as a acronyme for "Bundesstadt ohne nennenswertes Nachtleben" (Federal city without considerable nightlife). But I would not say that Bonn has no nightlife. Maybe not that big as Cologne or Hamburg, but it have. 

The city I used to live in has an area known as Tweakerville, because it's where all of the homeless and heroin addicts congregate. There's shelter from the overpass, a Mission that provides food, and the bus station is really close. There's ton's of footage for crazy antics that go on there. Not sure if there's still a live cam.

Also I lived briefly in a place called Granite Falls, and I hink Oprah visited it for a program at some point and she dubbed it the Meth Capital of the world? The Rolling Stone definitely called it Methville. There is a meth problem there but it's not nearly as big as the media likes to portray it.

Beyond Granite there's Verlot which is also known as the Verlotian Territory. It's an area where people live on the edge of a state park and like to keep to themselves with little outside interference. The sort who like to be off grid and not have others telling them what to do. It's a great place for hikes, camping, and beautiful scenery. Went up the "Big Four Mountain" Ice Caves recently where there's some gorgeous glaciers, although that will 'was' very soon since they've melted so much. You can see all the way back through what's really that last glacier there. I give it 3 years at most, but it'll probably be gone by next summer. There's technically another glacier but there's only enough ice to pack into a small U-Haul trailer. Anyways, don't worry about the occasional gunshots, at least while they stay distant.

Well, I come from a little town called Järvsö, which sounds like modern Swedish for Wolverine's Island, but is actually a bastardization of the original name from the 1300's, which just meant 'Iärp's Island', Iärp being the name of some dude. 

The locals call it 'Jarse', which you'd pronounce something like Yash'eh, The nickname has no special meaning, it's just the local dialect.

DC is (or used to be) sometimes known as "chocolate city" :nom: because it was one of the first majority-African American cities in the country. That's changed these days, though.

I suppose it's more often called "the nation's capital" but that's boring :maud: 

18 minutes ago, SparklingSwirls said:

DC is (or used to be) sometimes known as "chocolate city" :nom: because it was one of the first majority-African American cities in the country. That's changed these days, though.

I suppose it's more often called "the nation's capital" but that's boring :maud: 

Wait DC used to be call "Chocolate City"? I didn't  know this :blink:. I mean while history (US or World) being one of my stronger subjects, I can't say I heard this about it :o.

When I think of "Chocolate City" I think of Hershey, PA.

Locals often call Anaheim “Anacrime” but I think that’s going a bit too far. Sure, we have crime like everyone else, but we also have tourism and in the past ten years Disney has tried to clean up the area around the Disneyland Resort area. I have my own nickname for Anaheim, and that’s ‘Pocket Paradise’ because it’s relatively small (only 350,000 population compared to the greater L.A. area) and it’s my idea of paradise, although many would likely disagree.  

Its called the "Medcity" (Medical City) cause of the super popular and top tier hospital in town, the whole city is basically centered around the clinic. 

Edited by Brobot