Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

ByB5IyG.gif

Welcome, my ponies. Three years it's been, and yet, here you post before me, as though it were only yesterday.

We are all of us going through a turbulent time, these days. The current pandemic is of a scale not seen since the times of WWI, one hundred years ago, and it continues to sweep the planet. The stress it has brought all of humanity has acted as a catalyst for civil and political unrest across all spectrums and definitions, all of which we, simple pony-loving lasses and lads, are subjected to by the media ad nauseum. For most folks who at all keep up with social media on the regular, it can feel very inescapable at times, bringing about drama and stress in places they'd rather be free of such things.

Get on with it, ya daft chimera! ~ @Dark Horse, probably

It's been brought to the staff's attention that pockets of politics and alike topics have been cropping up in blogs, status updates and other locations around the forums as of late. Repetition of this has lead to complaints, even the unfortunate leave of members over a lack of interest in dealing with said politics and drama.

And so, here we are. I'd like to make two points very clear.

1. Though not toxic in all forms of discussion, topics like politics, religion, etc are well-known for their uncanny ability to spark drama, arguments and stress. Even more so, given the current global climate. It is understandable that some folks seek to alleviate their own stress over said topics by publicly venting about it on their local pony forum, but not doing so with tact will do more harm than good, because I'd wager an even larger amount of people are browsing a pony forum to get away from the trials and tribulations that come with everyday life.
  2. And so, I'd like to bring attention to the Debate Symposium. Long ago this unsightly little place was torn from the earth and molded into being for the express purpose of housing such topics. This is where these topics need to stay, for the sake of everyone's mental health. The human mind can only put up with so many existential crises per day. Ask someone who has an anxiety disorder, like yours truly. :Tempest:

But Discord, reading is hard!

Fret not, little peach. *ahem*. Please refrain from talking about politics, religion and other highly sensitive topics in blogs, status updates or topics that are not located inside the Debate Symposium. Doing so defeats the entire purpose of the subforum, and tends to needlessly agitate ponies all around the site.

This will be added to the Global Rules henceforth, so that there shall be no confusion or overlooking, in the future.

We are human beings. It is sometimes inevitable to bring some human drama with us wherever we go, even to such a pure thing as a pony site. But please, for everyone's sake, let's keep MLPF a friendly getaway for those who are here to unwind and relax. :fluttershy:

Keep Calm and Pony On, Everypony~

274818.png

• Brohoof 20

I would like some clarification. It was said when I brought this up elsewhere that talk of religion was ok so long as it was not debate etc. For example I tend to make blogs once in a blue moon about how mlp and the Jedi Path align. I was lead to believe this was not an issue. But the wording of the post seems to say otherwise. 

Administration also understands that this means new users to MLPF will not be able to engage in Debate Topics in any venue on out site until they have made 100 posts and have full access to Debate.

The decision to make sure “hot button” topics stay in debate will be unpopular for some. We know this. We also know some may decide to leave the site. Even with this, it was fully agreed upon and implemented and isn’t changing. What is considered “political” is fluid and requires rational judgement so there will be no itemized breakdown of what constitutes a political status update or blog. 

Debate has its place on this site, and some come here to escape it. Some come here for it. Never should the two meet. 

• Brohoof 10

@Jedishy

Social Gathering Topics and Blogs that discuss faith and lifestyle in a non debate centric environment are still permitted in General Discussion and Blogs. 

Anyone 13 years and older should be able to distinguish between a social thread and a topic meant to invoke debate. 

“[insert religion] Thread -  A place to discuss [insert religion] themed topics” is obviously okay. 

• Brohoof 1

@Jeric ok cool. Just wanted to make sure. I want to stay within the rules and as staff I feel doubly bound to make sure I don't mess up. So I'd rather ask and look silly then mess up when you and the rest of the mods have enough work to do without my being Trouble Shoes lol.

• Brohoof 2

Another important item is that when Ponies start to touch on a social or political issue, this is allowed and encouraged to be discussed in the appropriate framing in the regular Pony areas. We aren’t going to lock a thread about the show itself when an episode/comic/etc goes political or has social commentary. Again that is common sense. What isn’t reasonable would be a topic “Would AJ vote for Trump”. :P

• The topic was featured

Alright, no more spicy Donald meme magic in status, but what if I post a dank meme that makes fun out of a video game or a movie that got woke, went broke? Poking sacred cows would be regarded as political no matter what. Heck, big anime tiddies are right wing don't cha know.

P.S: AJ is a lying dog-faced pony soldier. I had to. One last time. Now I'll go rage over lore or something. Did you know that non-pone lores of magic are still utter shit in the current year?

• Brohoof 1

Jeric when I send him a topic draft seeking feedback:

d73506afcabcf8c76cdbbdd5a496467e.gif

Jeric when the topic gets posted and I come on later to see three full-scale replies:

DisloyalIdenticalHare-size_restricted.gi

We'll be right back, after some technical edits. :adorkable:

I think separating social commentary discussion that the show brings up directly or indirectly is a bit problematic which is why we aren’t going to be doing that. Same with other media like non-pony shows and gaming. You can’t really have a discussion of The Last of Us 2, for instance, without touching on the content within the game that has set out to bring its point of view on a current social element. 

This is mostly about keeping the shit storm surrounding current events off the main status feeds, and keeping IRL politics in its proper space to discuss. 

• Brohoof 1

Sounds like a good idea! :grin:

I think it's good that controversial topics like politics stay in debate symposium, because while I do like to post occasionally in debate symposium, I also sometimes want to get away from all that controversial stuff and just relax and enjoy it here on the forums with my friends.

3 hours ago, Goat-kun said:

Alright, no more spicy Donald meme magic in status, but what if I post a dank meme that makes fun out of a video game or a movie that got woke, went broke? Poking sacred cows would be regarded as political no matter what. Heck, big anime tiddies are right wing don't cha know.

P.S: AJ is a lying dog-faced pony soldier. I had to. One last time. Now I'll go rage over lore or something. Did you know that non-pone lores of magic are still utter shit in the current year?

Why, you did it again you mischeavious goat! Stop pointing out non-political topics are prone to be used in political agenda! It just foils the point on not adding a tag that filters away topics that suddenly were hijacked by whatever detractors there might be for whatever post that was and became a political topic.

Don't you make me shoo out the clowns for I'm not fond on kicking my own flank out of places.

• Brohoof 1

6 minutes ago, China (100% NOT China) said:

Honestly, I wonder if covid19 should get considered a political topic as a whole. Yes, it impacts us heavily in daily life. But any innocent status update about freetime gatherings with others, about masks, about lockdowns sucking....they can just turn into all the political explosion quickly. I feel it is close to impossible to reply to them without being political at all.

It also somewhat comes down to I just want to do or say this, and every response to it, especially if not agreeing with me, is considered political and should be deleted.

Don't get me wrong, I am fully acknowledging this is complex and a dilemma. Merely pointing out here it is.

You too now? Don't point that out! The absolute solution seems to be just posting everything that could probably ignite any sort of discussion into the political pit. I guess the best we can do is think thrice our very steps around the forums.

• Brohoof 1

13 minutes ago, China (100% NOT China) said:

Honestly, I wonder if covid19 should get considered a political topic as a whole. Yes, it impacts us heavily in daily life. But any innocent status update about freetime gatherings with others, about masks, about lockdowns sucking....they can just turn into all the political explosion quickly. I feel it is close to impossible to reply to them without being political at all.

It also somewhat comes down to I just want to do or say this, and every response to it, especially if not agreeing with me, is considered political and should be deleted.

Don't get me wrong, I am fully acknowledging this is complex and a dilemma. Merely pointing out here it is.

Nope. We aren’t doing this. There is a reason I’m not itemizing and breaking this stuff down to some sort of granular absurdity. I addressed this earlier. You know what we are talking about when we say we want political content to stay in Debate. Ain’t gonna be no rabbit hole of what-ifs today. If you want to know what what we are talking about then spend a few minutes on a political forum, a media website (CNN or FoxNews), or any interest group that is highly connected to politics. 

US_Supreme_Court_Justice_Potter_Stewart_

This guy would understand XD

• Brohoof 2

44 minutes ago, Jesse Terrence said:

Why, you did it again you mischeavious goat! Stop pointing out non-political topics are prone to be used in political agenda! It just foils the point on not adding a tag that filters away topics that suddenly were hijacked by whatever detractors there might be for whatever post that was and became a political topic.

Don't you make me shoo out the clowns for I'm not fond on kicking my own flank out of places.

I believe that we got our answer. Political skirmishes aren't allowed outside the debate pit. You'll still be able to talk about stuff that is or can become political in nature, but you won't be able to roll out in full battle gear unless you are going spelunking.

• Brohoof 2

7 hours ago, ~C. Discord~ said:

in blogs

The rest I can be fine with, it is this part I am not overly fond of. To me an entire point of a blog is putting your own thoughts out there. A compromise that I can think is requiring that any blog of this nature being locked from comments. That is a simple solution. The debate pit often feels like a never ending back and forth that goes nowhere so that is where I always found blogs useful for highlighting a subject without the bickering that comes with it.

I have a strong feeling such a suggestion will not be taken into consideration. I am totally down for the idea behind this entire movement here. The blog portion is simply where I think it goes one tiny step too far. Just my view on it all.

Either way, I hope we can go forward from this in a more positive mindset. A bigger sense of togetherness. A full embrace of FiM's entire theme. In the end, that is what matters most.

• Brohoof 3

Thank you @~C. Discord~ for this very well written thread!

I don't understand why people seek drama at a place like this, and I probably never will.
I also will never understand people who choose to leave this wonderful place <without stating why>.

To me, logic dictates that if one were to leave this friendly MLP forum, they must have found a better alternative where they can relax and get away from the difficult lives that we are all facing.
Only, there are very little places to go to that aren't reminding us of the difficult lives that we are all facing in the first place. Instead, making statuses and blogs telling others that they are leaving, is nothing more than trying to bring attention to some problem or issue, but without stating the problem or issue. It is confusing. It makes people upset and sad, to lose their friends. Why would you want to make your friends upset?

I hope this thread will advice everypony that we are all on the same side here, on the MLP G4 side. And we are enjoying friendship, and want to escape the real world for just a bit (or enhance it).

5 minutes ago, Splashee said:

Thank you @~C. Discord~ for this very well written thread!

I don't understand why people seek drama at a place like this, and I probably never will.
I also will never understand people who choose to leave this wonderful place <without stating why>.

To me, logic dictates that if one were to leave this friendly MLP forum, they must have found a better alternative where they can relax and get away from the difficult lives that we are all facing.
Only, there are very little places to go to that aren't reminding us of the difficult lives that we are all facing in the first place. Instead, making statuses and blogs telling others that they are leaving, is nothing more than trying to bring attention to some problem or issue, but without stating the problem or issue. It is confusing. It makes people upset and sad, to lose their friends. Why would you want to make your friends upset?

I hope this thread will advice everypony that we are all on the same side here, on the MLP G4 side. And we are enjoying friendship, and want to escape the real world for just a bit (or enhance it).

Gonna break character here for a moment, splashers, and be rather blunt on the answer. I hope nopony gets offended.

They are seeking for attention. No more no less. They just felt upset and are trying to receive as much attention as they can. Most might not even leave. You'll see their statuses and blogs flooding with people begging for them to not leave. and just the next day they'll announce they are not leaving anymore. That's because they didn't even want to leave in the first place.

In most places we call that kinda people drama llamas or another uglier term I see rather innapropiate for this forum. But that's just about it. They seek for attention. Feel the world turning around them. People who want to leave will contact their friends personally and privately, if they even dare contact them at all. If they are important characters for the community, they might make a long explanation so people who looked after them knows. But that's the whole point, they explain because they have a reason and really are considering to leave. The quick "I'm leaving!" emote emote kind of blog or update is attention seeking.

• Brohoof 3

2 hours ago, Goat-kun said:

I believe that we got our answer. Political skirmishes aren't allowed outside the debate pit. You'll still be able to talk about stuff that is or can become political in nature, but you won't be able to roll out in full battle gear unless you are going spelunking.

Nailed it! 

• Brohoof 2

5 hours ago, Splashee said:

people are free to go whenever they feel this place is not doing it for them anymore, they don't owe explanations and guilt tripping won't change that, you will see more go now that FIM is over that's innevitable, i think you're reading too much into it

• Brohoof 3

Excuse me for asking this incredibly obvious question but I need clarification. 

Please refrain from talking about politics, religion and other highly sensitive topics in blogs, status updates or topics that are not located inside the Debate Symposium.

Does this mean we can’t post anything relating to these topics outside of the DS or only if it already exists as a topic in there? Whatever the rule is, it won’t be an issue for me. I steer away from topics like these altogether. I just wanted to make sure ~

(edited)
14 hours ago, ~C. Discord~ said:

Fret not, little peach. *ahem*. Please refrain from talking about politics, religion and other highly sensitive topics in blogs, status updates

Wait you can put blogs in the debate symposium. Or did I read it wrong.

Yeah I agree a lot of people come here to escape and for hugs and all. It's an MLP forum not a debate and discussion centre as such. Unless it's about debating the show lol. 

I find discussion interesting but they all too often escalate into just people bashing you, when all I want tbh is to hear each persons opinion individually. It's sort of the nature of those kind of posts unless you have the culture of respect (which I don't see often it usually exists more in small groups) and it helps to have uh similar views but there is a big variation. And there is not much attempt for people to take a middle ground or find the good even in flawed arguments.  I know forums and chat groups in which discussion is actually clear and clean. But those ones usually feel more like family like. And there is an air of calmness and respect. Honestly the word debate just makes it worse because it implies argument and bringing out the worst and most polarising things rather than just discussing real issues or news. At least that is what it implies to me and encourages.

On the other hand I think religion in certain contexts is fine (and I see that has been clarified)

I mostly see US politics anyway which I don't follow in the closest detail at least when it comes to party politics (as much as I do follow the highlights) seeing as it's not my country hehe

Edited by flurry