Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What sounds do you commonly hear coming from outside your home?

Reecejackox

Crows, sparrows, blackbirds, titmouse, pigeons, doves, an occasional redstart. There are also ducks, herons, and hawks. Herons really do make weird sounds. Something between a goose and a duck with a sore throat. Then there are cats and dogs. And field crickets. Sometimes there's a sickle cricket. Why yes, I do live in a city, though by most of your standards I might just as well be living in a village.

• Brohoof 2

Cars passing by sometimes. The neighbors sometimes chatting or laughing. Helicopters sometimes.... There's a thing outside of my room that hits the walls and roof but apparently there's nothing? I have to inspect the rooftop but it's kinda dangerous but if it's a ghost it's just fine as long as it lets me sleep.

At our current place the day starts with the opening and closing of doors, cars driving off to work, the maintenance crew weed whack ing and occasionally yelling in spanish, crows cawing after a local hawk or each other for the first scraps of the day. If you walk past the pond near the mail boxes there's a pair of ducks quacking along, along with the daily traffic.

In the evening you can hear people chatting, music being played too loudly, or TVs through open windows, maybe a few birds and the Crickets out in the distance. The jingle of leashes as people walk their dogs, stomping of children up and down stairwells, cars circling desperately for any available parking spot then speeding off to the empty lots of the nearby businesses. Plenty of small airplane traffic as well from the local airport, the occasional train, and the wind on warmer days which really stirs and jostle the cheap blinds.

At my parents there was the sound of a few cars leaving. The buzzes of bees and hummingbirds with their territorial chirps. A neighbor dog barking at something, a car speeding on the main road, and then construction for new housing developments in the distance. There used to be ylthe cooing of Pigeons and screeches of Hawks but they've partially relocated and get drowned out by the work.

In the evening the neighborhood children are loud as they make the most of their time before being called inside, the ice cream truck makes its late run, and Crickets and Frogs will compete to fill the air with their music. A lone seabird that's chosen to live inland flies over a few times most evenings and calls out, while sometimes the coyotes and an owl sound off.

• Brohoof 1

Not many, honestly. My neighborhood is pretty quiet! The only noticeable sound I hear is the occasional lawn mower.

My yapper dogs, semi-trucks and sirens. It's not the quietest, but it's better than that short time I lived in my cousin's apartment, which had lots of shouting and arguing, and at a couple of points had fences breaking and the n-word thrown around

1 hour ago, Treeglow Flicker said:

Most common three things I hear on a near daily basis are:

• RAF jets
  • Ambulances
  • My neighbor's chihuahua

I hear something worse than a chihuahua, 7 completely uncontrolled kids that oh, as they're muslim (Nothing wrong with being a muslim but it's kinda important to the story), they get up for prayers, and as they are uncontrolled, they constantly make noise and don't settle