Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology Why do people still use Windows 7?

Props Valroa

Multiple reasons why I use Windows 7 (and other versions, but this thread is about 7).

1. It works and I can do what I need to do with it. So why would I go trough the immense pain of reinstalling Windows just because? I have to install Windows when I build a new main PC, so I might as well install a new version (though there were some exceptions), but my current PC is still good enough, so why bother?

2. Windows 10 SUCKS - telemetry, forced updates, ads etc. Sure I can go trough the process of cutting all that crap out (and actually did it once, on a mobile PC) and use the LTSB version, but why would I do it if I can avoid it? I recently built a game PC and installed Windows 8.1 on it for the reason that I did not want to go trough all that nonsense with 10.

Honestly, I probably would use Linux on my main PC if I had to build a new one (and could not just make the current Win7 installation work on new hardware). But again, why change something if my current setup works?

I built a new main PC and went from Windows XP to 7 because Bioshock Infinite would not run on XP (and I did try to make it run), but now I have a separate game PC, no need to mess with the main PC anymore.

• Brohoof 2

I still use it because it works perfectly fine and feels and looks way better than Windows 10 (I have it on my workplace computer). One of my friends still uses Windows XP for the same reason.

• Brohoof 1

The real question would be why someone wouldn't use windows 7?

Windows 7 is the new windows xp. By that I mean that it is the most reliable windows as of now with the best compatibility, GUI and performance. Windows 7 is far more reliable than both 8 and 10 and runs on most computers without huge RAM leaks. Few fatal errors make for a good OS that is unlikely to crash at the tip of a hat, and it allows the end user to perform several things newer windows won't allow because they are locked due "security reasons" :yuck:

Add up updates aren't forced and you have a good OS that won't change unless you want it to change. It also decreases incidents of major malfunction on PCs. For instance,  had a client who got fucked over by an update on windows 10. His computer got a terrible case of svchostitis that would make his machine lag at 5 minutes after boot because the update came buggy and the svchost would hoard all RAM on a start up function that couldn't be stoped from the task manager and was necessary for the OS to run. It was a mess. I had to roll back and linger as much as possible all updates.

So yeah, tech savvy guys will most likely stay at OSs that offer high performance and stability despite they being old. That's why a good amount of wizes still use 7 (if not xp).

• Brohoof 2

Because it's just plainly a better operating system than 10 even if it isn't up-to-date. Windows 10 likes to update all the time and really I only use it now because it won't get nuked by Microsoft because a 5 year old OS is clearly too old for them and they want everyone to buy W10 product keys. Also because Windows 7 support for games may wane in the near future thanks in part to Microsoft's abandon of it.

Edited by Stolas

Simple: it's too much headache and hassle and trouble to switch to Linux, and Windows 10 is a steaming pile of goat sh*t.  Incidentally, all of the at-home time of 2020 gave me the perfect excuse to finally buckle down and migrate to Linux.  :ticking:

• Brohoof 1

Windows 7 was like, the most popular Windows product for quite a long time, and it was also out a lot longer than other Windows operating systems like 8 was, thus meaning that a lot more people had and got used to using 7. I liked Windows 7 too, my old school computers used to use it (before they got upgraded to Windows 10), it just seemed really user-friendly and simple to navigate around. Not that I would try to get a new computer with Windows 7 on it anymore though, as running old operating systems run the risk of getting viruses and other malware on your system, so it's really not worth it anymore at least to me.   

• Brohoof 1

I tried Migrating to Linux but it was just too complicated for me to understand. I have been using Windows 10 ever since it came out and I don't really have much of a complaint with it. I don't miss Windows 7.

• Brohoof 2

Simple, the fact that it just works, the fact that many use older pcs, in developing countries they use pirated windows and old pcs, and windows 7 just ended up being the most popular to gain access to windows software, some might prefer the ui, 

I personally prefer windows 7 for the ui, and it working really fast and reliable (though now windows 10 seems like the only option to use windows wise nowadays)

While I don't like the UI of Windows 8, at least that can be somewhat improved with classic shell (I still don't like the flat design, but that may be just me).

However, making Windows 10 usable is much more effort. Disabling updates and the various data leaks takes a while because it's not just some spyware - the entire OS is spyware. And no, I would not want or my main PC to randomly reboot to update (even if the updates were guaranteed to work and not mess up the PC requiring restore from a backup).

So yeah, Windows 7 is good enough for my main PC and laptop. Windows 10 (with the tedious decrapification process) if/when I really need it for games (on my game PC). If I needed a new main PC and Windows 7 (this installation) would not work there, I would use Linux.

• Brohoof 1

51 minutes ago, Califorum said:

I tried Migrating to Linux but it was just too complicated for me to understand. I have been using Windows 10 ever since it came out and I don't really have much of a complaint with it. I don't miss Windows 7.

Because you're most likely a basic end user. There's nothing to be missed for basic users in windows 7. For technicians and developers windows 7 is dearly missed. Windows 10 was thought in a way it will make simple maintenance routines a real chore. I understand that microsoft would rather take all possible income from repairs at authorized centers than allowing mildly experienced users fix their computers easily by following instructions posted in forums by technicians, but they took their perspective too far and even technicians can have headaches repairing problems that shouldn't even be a thing to begin with. And I haven't even started with the dreadful GUI it has. They seem to not understand that less is more. What anyone (even a good bunch of linux users) expect from a start menu is to show a few frequently used programs and have a tidy list of programs you can browse in at much 2 clicks. Windows 10 fails big time to deliver that. Its start menu looks like a clusterfuck of pop ups instead of a mosaic of software. Having a bad GUI in a user friendly OS is a fatal flaw. A bad and confusing GUI that makes people take more steps to find what they need for the sake of aesthetics is a deadly sin for developers.

That brings me to another huge problem its GUI has. The explorer. It was totally unnecessary to make the explorer look like any other office program. Why the huge buttons and the messy tabs? Some functions don't even come in the tabs logic would dictate for, and there you go making the user click all tabs to find a simple function that previously was simply listed by clicking a labeled button without huge screen areas to search in. And the taskbar is an absolute kick in the balls. The search function seems excessive given the start menu itself has yet another search bar. The quick launch icons proper to the OS aren't all that easy to figure out due their excess of minimalism. And I could go on and on.

• Brohoof 2

@Jesse Terrence

All of that for me is simply white noise since I am not a developer or a technician. I would have switched to Linux but the problem with Linux is for me, its a steep learning curve and theres not a whole lot of combability and for a lazy user like me, its just not worth it.

• Brohoof 1

Since my PC started showing age, as it has a whole lot lately, I have not had a stable job or income due to various reasons (medical reasons as well as being extra vulnerable to COVID due to said issues). I can't afford a new phone either, even though I'm running on an iPhone 6. lol.

Also, this really nice microphone I bought years back ended up not working with anything past Windows 7. That's really frustrating.

I didn't upgrade the PC to Windows 10 back during the time it was being offered (or forced? I don't remember) for the above reasons and also I feared my games would not work well. IDK. Now I have a game I want (Persona 4 Golden) that is only compatible with Windows 8 and above. *sigh* I won't be getting that game until I have money again. Or hopefully it gets ported to a console, which I'd much rather play it on.

Edited by Envy

17 minutes ago, Envy said:

Since my PC started showing age, as it has a whole lot lately, I have not had a stable job or income due to various reasons (medical reasons as well as being extra vulnerable to COVID due to said issues). I can't afford a new phone either, even though I'm running on an iPhone 6. lol.

Also, this really nice microphone I bought years back ended up not working with anything past Windows 7. That's really frustrating.

I didn't upgrade the PC to Windows 10 back during the time it was being offered (or forced? I don't remember) for the above reasons and also I feared my games would not work well. IDK. Now I have a game I want (Persona 4 Golden) that is only compatible with Windows 8 and above. *sigh* I won't be getting that game until I have money again. Or hopefully it gets ported to a console, which I'd much rather play it on.

That game came first to ps vita. So yeah, it's been on a portable console for a while.

• Brohoof 1

20 minutes ago, Jesse Terrence said:

That game came first to ps vita. So yeah, it's been on a portable console for a while.

Yeah, I already knew that. But I don't have Vita and can't afford one either, nor would it make any sense to put money into one when the only game I'm interested in I can get elsewhere.

Well I talked to a dude about windows vista actually how it was simply a better operating system for computers whereas the windows 8-10 were more orientated for well you know pads. Regardless it comes down to preference honestly and ease of use I see many reasons why I would prefer windows 7 one of which is I believe windows 10 does take more away from your computers operating power. Simply as there are more gimmicks and effects. Of course though if you were to go there youd run linux, so really it is all about preference really.

• Brohoof 1

Pretty simple really. It's the most intuitive and functional OS since Windows XP. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 

Also because Windows 10 has gotten a pretty negative reception. So it's either stick with 7, regularly install the myriad of patches to make XP functional for modern use or take the mixed bag of Windows 8. 

I'm still using Windows 7 and intend to until they release something better than 10. 

I used to have Windows 7, but I no longer do. Majority of newer games, while they still do Windows 7, their recommended requirement is Windows 10. And it sure as hell will not run on an older OS like Windows XP. Eventually, newer games will be required to run Windows 10, nothing else. If you're running on an older OS, you're gonna have a really difficult time playing them. Just my two cents is all. Yes, Windows 10 had a negative reception and that Windows 7 was better, but at the end of the day, everyone will have to adapt for something new, whether we'd want it or not. I don't hate Windows 7, though even gaming devs are already adapting to Windows 10 in order to release their newer games an programs.

• Brohoof 1