Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

what type of artstyle would you like in g5?

75ponii

inspired by @Califorum's post asking what would everyone to like to see in g5 or not like to see

im wondering what everyone would want the visuals to look like? or the artstyle to be more specific

i myself would love to see the ponies in the series with more unique body types and body differences that FIM only really started getting around to late into the series as something that became common. id like to see the ponies be a bit more horse like as well. such as different colored/furred hooves and more anatomically correct body structures that g1's pilot had. not overly realistic but not extremely cartoony either. id love a middle ground like that. i want it to be its own artstyle and not take too many notes from g4's

• Brohoof 3

Personally, a move away from flash style animation. It isn't bad, but it's distinctly rooted in G4's time, and G5 should do what it can to differentiate itself stylistically. Personally, I'd like to see a throwback to more hand drawn, traditional animation of the 90s and early 00s. What MLP would've looked like in the golden age of animated TV. 

• Brohoof 3

Since CGI appears to be what they are going with, I am hoping for some pretty sharp graphics along with fluid movements. Before I forget, they need to make sure that the mouth movements are given a lot of priority as that can go awfully wrong if not handled with care.

• Brohoof 1

I like that kind-of anime style of G4 and really hope they don't go back to more realistic ponies like G1. I don't really like real-life horses and while I find G4 ponies cure, I can't say the same about G1 ponies. Very high chance that if G4 looked like G1, I would not have watched it.

• Brohoof 1

It honestly doesn't matter. The chances they could recapture the magic that made G4 so special to so many people hover at around zero. Though if they do strike gold twice in a row it'd be nice to see a resurgence in the fandom.

If we're being optimistic, I'd say a more stylized approach would be preferable. I like clean colors and thick outlines with smooth, fluid motion. I honestly can't see them differentiating too much from the G4 art style because with the way modern animation works, Hasbro can get away with investing less money if they retain the kind of simplistic almost Flash-like animation from G4 so that they can reuse the exact same animations/expressions without having to draw new frames, which saves time and money and money is always the bottom line for them.

• Brohoof 1

I would always appreciate a bit more detailed art and animation. From all the My Little Pony incarnations so far, i liked the G4 Stuff the least, because it is to cheap and simplistic looking for me.

The Movies Style was an upgrade and if they go more in that direction, i would love it. A more defining artstyle in general would be a major improvement in my eyes.

• Brohoof 1

dang a lot of people dont like the g1 style apparently :(

i just really hope g5's artstyle will be its own thing - and wont be just a rehash of g4's artstyle with a few minor details changed

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to see the artstyle be a polished 2D style with 2D characters and a mix between 2D and 3D backgrounds (very much like the animation of the 90s). I'd want the character models do be very similar to the simple cartoony style FIM had, for I just really like how they looked (maybe just make them a bit more polished). Though, I also wouldn't mind a slightly comic-like style, like how Andy Price draws ponies. I just wouldn't want them to be too realistic because it would take away from the charming cuteness which made me love ponies so much in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, any style is fine by me. I mean, even if they did use the older gens for inspiration, I'd still watch it if the story was interesting and wasn't too girly. As someone who grew up with G3, it would be really nice to see old character designs come back as well.

I really love old cartoon styles though, so if they did go with something like that, I'd probably be more interested in watching it? It all really depends I suppose.