Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is your least favourite thing about the G5 movie?

Star Flame

I just watched it, and I liked it!

...but I just wanted there to be more, too.

Some sort of plot that would tie in the past, a big villainous presence... a concrete reason why magic disappeared and ponies became driven with fear. And the resolution was a weeee bit cop-out-y. (we just needed the love!)

Doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it though! Maybe we'll see more goings on in the followup series.

14 hours ago, Star Flame said:

I'm curious, what is the thing you liked the least?

For me, it was the fact that the villain wasn't threatening enough. Seriously, if he was so scared of the other pony races, why wasn't he more.. I don't know, more aggressive when he saw queen Haven, her guards, Alphabittle and other unicorns in maretime bay? I wish he was more threatening.

Spoiler

Well I think the movie was supposed to be lighter than the last movie. Plus Sprout's style is more of an petulant power hungry maniac than a gigantic threat. He's even treated comidically as a villain.

Edited by Toastypk

4 hours ago, EpicEnergy said:

My least favorite thing about this movie is most likely the fact that the characters weren't developed enough, specifically Pipp. I understand that in a movie that's 1 hour and 30 minutes long, you aren't going to have enough time to develop all the characters, and that there is a show coming that will most likely develop the characters more, but I would rather have been introduced to only 3 of the 5 main characters with plenty of room for those characters to develop than to be introduced to all of them with hardly any room for character development.

Regardless of what I said, I am content with the character development that we got, and that all of the main characters were introduced at first. I say that the lack of character development is my least favorite thing about this movie, but that doesn't mean I hate it and completely disagree with what the writers did.

I can feel that a little, too. I'm sure they'll be expanded on in the series!

I went into this really curious about Hitch's role specifically. Turns out he was going after Sunny who is now being treated as a fugitive. But then during the big performance, all five of them were thrust together, and during the camp scene is when Hitch started to come around and they really became a group.

• Brohoof 1

(Wrong topic so let me add by saying)

I kind of wish the songs were more plot driven or character developing. It's like with the old Disney movies used to do with the songs actually help to tell the story or reveal information about a character in an entertaining way without sounding like an expo dump

• Brohoof 1

10 hours ago, sasuke said:
10 hours ago, sasuke said:

the ending was just really weird. idk how to explain it.

I agree; I have a whole thread on how I think the ending could’ve been better done, and what I think is wrong with the ending it actually had.  You might want to give it a look and see what you think.

9 hours ago, RaphLuna said:

I found the ending confusing too. Sadly I feel this movie was rushed. 

The funny thing is, that’s the one thing I don’t talk about in my rant about the ending:  why they made decisions that led to such an unsatisfactory ending.  I keep hearing “rushed”, and it wouldn’t be surprising if that were the explanation.  But…shoot.  If that is the reason, then i guess it’s another instance of companies choosing speed over quality :/

22 minutes ago, HereComesTom said:

The funny thing is, that’s the one thing I don’t talk about in my rant about the ending:  why they made decisions that led to such an unsatisfactory ending.  I keep hearing “rushed”, and it wouldn’t be surprising if that were the explanation.  But…shoot.  If that is the reason, then i guess it’s another instance of companies choosing speed over quality :/

If you ask me the reason why the ending feels unsatisfactory because there's so many unanswered questions. This is literally just the start of the generation 5 so of course they're going to be a lot of questions and they'll likely be answered throughout the series

• Brohoof 1

The abrupt Happy Ending Override (TV Tropes) of G4.

Which raises the question "Why bother getting invested again?" For all we know, G6 could just do the same to the Mane Five 2.0's accomplishments.

Edited by Anti-Villain
  • Brohoof 1

My gripe is that they didn't do too much with the sisters, especially Pipp. They had a few moments, but I think there should've more to flesh them out like the others. I didn't have much of a problem with the ending, but I think it would've been good world building if we knew how and why all the ponies got divided.

• Brohoof 2

45 minutes ago, Cash_In said:

I didn't have much of a problem with the ending, but I think it would've been good world building if we knew how and why all the ponies got divided.

Funny, I'm the opposite way:  I'm okay with them saving that question, "How did they get divided?" for the series.  Argyle himself is implied not to know.  But the ending left me feeling jerked around and half-spoiled the whole movie for me.

1 hour ago, Will Guide said:

If you ask me the reason why the ending feels unsatisfactory because there's so many unanswered questions. This is literally just the start of the generation 5 so of course they're going to be a lot of questions and they'll likely be answered throughout the series

Reading posts like this makes me realize:  there are a lot of different emotional reactions to a film, and a lot of different ways of looking at it.  The unanswered lore questions don't bug me; if anything, they're my main reason for wanting to see the series.  But if they do bug other bronies, well, that's a legitimate reaction, too!

45 minutes ago, Cash_In said:

My gripe is that they didn't do too much with the sisters, especially Pipp. They had a few moments, but I think there should've more to flesh them out like the others. I didn't have much of a problem with the ending, but I think it would've been good world building if we knew how and why all the ponies got divided.

I agree; they're underdeveloped characters.  I suppose they had to pick and choose who they'd develop in a movie this short...

This is a kind of a freaky coincidence, but what's interesting about this is that I had a fanfic that was a kind of a "what if?" for G-5 (I think I called it "Brand New Day", which will make it impossible to find on fanfiction.net, since tons of other fanfics also have that name), and my pegasus characters were added near the end, almost as an afterthought, and I think they were also a bit underdeveloped.  I tried to show off their personality traits in the chapter where they were introduced, but...I'm not sure how well I really did...

Edited by HereComesTom

There were a few aspects of the movie that could've definitely been done better, and I think a prime example of that is character development. Overall the characters in this movie didn't really get too much development, especially Pipp. For being one of the main characters and being so heavily advertised, Pipp hardly really contributed to the group, and she was severely lacking in character development. Her personality comes of as bland and one-dimensional, and she has the least amount of screen-time out of the main cast. I'd say this is probably my least favorite thing, or at least one of my least favorite things regarding the movie.

Another thing I wasn't a fan of was the ending. It felt very rushed, confusing, and even a bit underwhelming. Sunny's whole realization could've been better written, and the ending felt un-complete. I'm fine with the movie not answering all the questions regarding Equestria, but there are some things that should've been indicated like whether Sunny was a permanent or a temporary alicorn and whether the cast will stay together or return to their homes afterwards. Plus, Pipp, doesn't really contribute anything during the climax; she's just there.

Something that could be a major contributor towards these aspects is the short run time and fast pacing. I feel like if the movie had ten to fifteen more minutes of overall screen time, the pacing would've been better along with giving more time to develop the characters. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed the movie, but it definitely had a couple issues that make it just "alright" in my opinion. Hopefully, the series will do a good job at world building along with actually developing the characters.

• Brohoof 1

Personally, I don't like how the movie got rid of Argyle so fast. I absolutely adored the opening scenes with him and Sunny and would have loved to see more of him being such a great dad, so when the camera panned and focused on his glasses and pendant sitting on the mantle, my heart fell.  

Edited by PoisonClaw
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

I wasn't much of a fan of the modernised setting, it's radically different from the old industrial revolution feeling G4 had and the animation style wasn't exactly to my taste.   

• Brohoof 1

I agree that it feels rushed. Too short. Needs to be revised, especially the ending. Character development throughout the entire movie is lacking. The G5 series had better expand greatly upon this cast and the lore around this future era because they really could've done more in that regard.

I didn't like when Sunny became an Alicorn, it could've just been implied like when she had the cardboard horn and wings earlier in the movie. I also didn't like how the Unicorns are living in a forest, and the Pegusai are all technical and fancy. It's just not what I'm used to seeing. I didn't like the corny theft or DDM sequence, and it was a really short film. I wish it was longer, and maybe the writers could've used some older storyboards in it. I thought they were really great.

• Brohoof 2

This is kinda nitpicking but I didn't like the Fraggle Rock movement of the 3D animation. The movie does this to Sunny at time stamp (Netflix backwards time 37:45). It feels off to me.

Compare it to the puppet shaking "walking/running" of Fraggle Rock:

Spoiler

I felt that the movie’s biggest problem was that it didn’t take the actual fantastic racism aspect seriously enough. Virtually every reference to it is treated as something farcical. As I mentioned in my own review, this tends to call too much attention to the failure to address why the races split up, and thus makes Sunny’s idealism somewhat hollow, and that made her arc seem deficient. Paradoxically, if a viewer didn’t know about what G4 was really like apart from the film, she’d wonder throughout most of the movie whether the tales of unicorns shooting lasers and such were indeed right. At the very least, that makes for a very confusing tone in the whole film. 

For me, it's not really one thing so much as a bunch of small things that add up, but if I had to focus on one main thing, I think it would be that it's just not as engaging as FiM to me, and that might have to do primarily with worldbuilding (though story and characterization do play a role in that too).  Maybe if I could approach the film in a vacuum, my opinion would be a bit higher, but not only is that really difficult by virtue of ANG or whatever it ends up being called being the series that has to follow FiM, but the film actively takes it upon itself to remind the audience of FiM thus making the elephant in the room that much more difficult to ignore.

To be clear, I think the film is fine, and even good at times.  I wish it could have been great, and even fantastic at times though, and the constant reminders of FiM do it no favours IMHO, nor does literally implying that it is legit set in future Equestria, and thus cannot be regarded as having a setting entirely its own.  

• Brohoof 1

Actually, I don't have any real problems. Everything was on par with Friendship is Magic. But could it still be better? Yup.

1) We don't know the backstory of how Twilight Sparkle failed to preserve friendship, why the ponies are divided, or the magic and windigos disappeared. Not that it WON'T be answered, but our introduction to G5 should have included it to fill the rest of us in.

2) We don't know what the future of the series will be, since the G4 ponies had hopes and ambitions from the first episode that would eventually be fulfilled, but we don't know what these G5 ponies are destined to do once the real story begins unfolding.

I think the "leaders" of each pony race didn't make much sense, besides the Pegasi. Like, why is this random old unicorn the main authority for unicorns? HE JUST OWNS A BAR AND PLAYS DDR!! :Cozy:

Also, I will never get used to ponies using cell phones. Ever. ^_^

5 hours ago, DemeowHiya said:

I think the "leaders" of each pony race didn't make much sense, besides the Pegasi. Like, why is this random old unicorn the main authority for unicorns? HE JUST OWNS A BAR AND PLAYS DDR!! :Cozy:

Also, I will never get used to ponies using cell phones. Ever. ^_^

Maybe it's his social clout that gives him some authority?  He's not in any kind of government, and it was never actually stated that he's any kind of "main authority".  He just happened to be around.  Come to think of it, is there any government in Maretime Bay either?  The Sheriff is just a high-ranking cop.  Are there even other cops?  That doesn't make a lot of sense either.  Sure, why not have bartender Unicorn act as an authority figure for his race?  We can just add that to the list of story elements that don't make much sense.

I'm actually cool with the cell phone thing.  It doesn't make a ton of sense but neither does ponies holding things with hooves period, so whatever.  I kind of like the idea of having ponies in a modern setting, especially now that magic is added into the mix.  I just hope something meaningful is done with it.