Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Do you listen to albums or EPs?

Anneal

With the ubiquitous nature of online streaming, I wonder if anyone listens to albums or EPs nowadays. It seems that for the majority of people, they tend to listen to a batch of singles rather than an album or EP from start to finish. The issue seems to be time – most people either can't or is not willing to spend 30 to 60 minutes in one sitting listening to almost a dozen songs. Additionally, some people might not like certain tracks in one album or EP and would want to skip it. Some musical artists nowadays don't bother producing EPs or albums for this reason.

So does anyone listen to album or EPs? Additionally, do you buy CDs or vinyl records?

• Brohoof 5

I prefer albums to individual songs. And EPs can be very good so I don't count them out. Not that I dislike playlists or occasionally listening to a song on its own. But I love to just kick back and relax with an album. I've found that I appreciate songs even more when I consider them in the context of an album or EP.

I occasionally will play a full album through, but usually not.

I've used iTunes since the mid 2000's and usually buy songs from there. If I like about half the songs on an album then I'll buy the physical CD vs downloading. As of late, I've been getting some older albums on CD's in like new to very good condition at a Salvation Army thrift store near my work. It's more than worth it if I like the album or need a song. They're 50¢ whereas a single song download on iTunes is $1.29. I have a lot of stereo equipment and usually play at least a song or two from CD's a couple times a month.

I don't use streaming for music except maybe looking up something on YouTube. I have an iPod Nano with Bluetooth I still use mainly and have some songs on my phone's memory card if I forget that. I would never pay for a music streaming service though or use one with commercials.

Vinyl records I only buy if I really like the album art. I have a couple record players, but don't use them often. Usually it's some of my parents' classic rock albums when I do.

Vinyl records I have:

records.png.10ba5e1a133c694cf7bcaea1a32a057a.png

I also want to get Pink Floyd's Dark side of the moon on LP

dsmoon.jpg.e674808f46209dfbda0ed10febfd28c8.jpg

Edited by Cirrus.
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
13 hours ago, Cirrus. said:

Vinyl records I only buy if I really like the album art. I have a couple record players, but don't use them often. Usually it's some of my parents' classic rock albums when I do.

I like collecting vinyls myself, though compared to CDs or downloaded albums/EPs, they are way more expensive. Started doing it roughly a year back when I got a job and my parents bought a record player. Some of my collection:

Kavinsky – Reborn

Autechre – Chiastic Slide / Autechre – LP 5

Aphex Twin – Richard D. James Album / Aphex Twin – Syro

Odesza – The Last Goodbye

Boards of Canada – Geogaddi

Four Tet – Rounds

Edited by Anneal
  • Brohoof 1

Albums definitely. EPs rarely have anything to offer. Short, pricey and padded out with filler like demos and live tracks. Which usually get bundled onto special editions of albums anyways. So it's rare I'll ever buy them. 

9 hours ago, Denim&Venöm said:

Albums definitely. EPs rarely have anything to offer. Short, pricey and padded out with filler like demos and live tracks. Which usually get bundled onto special editions of albums anyways. So it's rare I'll ever buy them. 

I still do listen to EPs if they're well made. Some of Aphex Twin's most famous songs is on a EP (Come to Daddy) for example, and in those instances EPs are either used as a bridge to experiment with new sounds between albums or if they don't have the production time to record enough songs for album length. There's also one EP I really like, EP7 – though it's literally 70 minutes long so it might as well be an album.

I do both, in the end EPs are just "smaller" albums by my book.

Albums obviously, because they're every band's "big" release, loaded with new songs, in my case very good songs most of the time. You obviously get the value for money You spend on them. EPs are more tricky (or were) because obviously they're much smaller with limited runtime and infamous for how a lot of bands just puts B-sides on them. Price of those is stupid plenty times as well, unfortunately.

But there is good music hidden on EPs. Dissolving Bonds by Katatonia has to be one of my favourite songs by them and it appeared exclusively on My Twin EP. Electric version of Journeyman by Iron Maiden is about as good as the original, acoustic one and it also is only on an EP - in this case - No More Lies. Today we have services like Spotify or Tidal so access to EPs is much easier which definitely helps. Thanks to all that, while I spend less time with EPs - I do listen to them still. 

I also plan to release my own music (been going on for a while, thanks, economical crisis xD) and I will do it in form of EP, because from an artist that has yet to release music I have to list benefits of doing EP instead of an album:

• much more affordable, budget wise
  • less songs = ability to afford superior production quality and good session artists (I managed to get Anna Murphy, former member of Eluveitie to do a short track for myself :blush:)

If I were to do an album I'd likely have to cut other costs and "settle for less". Ability to do an EP instead is a life saver for me and that's why, I believe, EPs, especially from new artists deserve some love :rarity:

Yes, I listen to albums, I also buy records, CDs and tapes when I can find them.

I also listen to tapes that were recorded from the radio or whatever, either by me or the previous owner. I like buying used tapes, because I may find some new to me music on them that I would like. Or, when buying an old tape, I can find a recording of an older version of a song that was later remade ("improved") or covered multiple times. Or some old song that would never be played on the radio today because it is not politically correct anymore. While I may not agree with the song, it is still interesting from the perspective of history. 

I prefer physical media over files and analog over digital. It used to be that bands would sell CDs at their concerts (and maybe even sign them after the concert), but lately I noticed that this is not done anymore.

I do not listen to records that much though - if I buy a record and intend to listen to it a lot, I record it to a reel-to-reel tape (or a cassette) and listen to that instead. It save wear on the record and is a bit more convenient.

Edited by Pentium100

People that say "that's one of the best albums of all time".. I think that's related to a personal connection to one or two songs on the album, or based off it's success in sales, bc honestly, I've never heard a complete album I like, and I feel like have scattered musical tastes is actually more realistic than pretending a bunch of mid/forgettable songs are good just bc you are addicted to a few good songs on an album, I do love KoRns Untouchables and the original Planet Earth by Hed Pe, the one with "Blackout", these are probably the only two albums where I have myself convinced that I "love the entire album" but ultimately I know some of the songs arent as good as the standouts.. it would just depend if Hasbro ever made a Friendship is Magic: Greatest Hits, I'd probably be in love with that xD 

As it stands my musical tastes are kind of crazy and I like all sorts of random shit, it's honestly amusing watching YouTube try to make playlists for me sometimes...xD

• 4 weeks later...

I have many vinyl records, cassette tapes and CDs. Call me ignorant but I’ve never heard of ‘EP’s. I like listening to an album all the way through because it’s more immersive to spend some time with one specific theme rather than bite-sized bits of various genres. It’s like watching a movie and getting engrossed in it. And since most of my LPs are movie soundtracks, I guess that makes sense.

My father has bought lots of records and CDs in his lifetime. If I listen to music I just use Spotify. We have 3 HiFis in the house that can play CDs. I don't use any of them.

On 2022-10-10 at 10:02 AM, Cryoshi said:

People that say "that's one of the best albums of all time".. I think that's related to a personal connection to one or two songs on the album, or based off it's success in sales, bc honestly, I've never heard a complete album I like, and I feel like have scattered musical tastes is actually more realistic than pretending a bunch of mid/forgettable songs are good just bc you are addicted to a few good songs on an album, I do love KoRns Untouchables and the original Planet Earth by Hed Pe, the one with "Blackout", these are probably the only two albums where I have myself convinced that I "love the entire album" but ultimately I know some of the songs arent as good as the standouts.. it would just depend if Hasbro ever made a Friendship is Magic: Greatest Hits, I'd probably be in love with that xD 

As it stands my musical tastes are kind of crazy and I like all sorts of random shit, it's honestly amusing watching YouTube try to make playlists for me sometimes...xD

Except KoRns "Untouchables" xD that shit slaps. 

• 4 weeks later...

I listen to albums constantly (and some EPs too). I do this when exploring music that I haven't heard because I prefer hearing a full album from one artist to a handful of random songs from several artists. Then I choose all the songs I really like and those go into my music library. When I relisten to music from my library, that's when I shuffle randomly between artists. There are some albums that are very special that I continue to listen to from front to back, but they are rare.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I mostly listen to songs these days. An artist needs to really impress me before I listen to an album (I'm slightly more likely to listen to an EP).

I don't buy records anymore, it's been a few years since I last did that (I just stream now).

• Brohoof 1

well, I used to buy CDs before, that way you could have make me listen to the whole album. Now days I will listen to the album only if I want to. I don't have LP records. 

• 2 weeks later...