Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming The Magic the Gathering Thread

Evilshy

69 users have voted

1. 1. Favorite Color? Yes, you must pick just one (color combos are a bit further down)

• White
    • Blue
    • Black
    • Red
    • Green
  2. 2. What formats do you play?

• Standard
    • Modern
    • Legacy
    • Vintage
    • Limited (draft, sealed, etc)
    • EDH/Commander
    • Other casual formats (Highlander, Prsimatic, Pauper, 2HG, etc.)
  3. 3. Favorite Color combos? (nicknames because I feel like it)

• WU (Azorius)
    • WB (Orzhov
    • WR (Boros)
    • WG (Selesnya)
    • UB (Dimir)
    • UR (Izzet)
    • UG (Simic)
    • BR (Rakdos)
    • BG (Golgari)
    • RG (Gruul)
    • WUG (Bant)
    • WUB (Esper, dubstep)
    • BUR (Grixis)
    • RBG (Jund)
    • GWR (Naya)
    • WBR (Oros, Kaalia)
    • URG (Intet, Animar, rug)
    • BWG (Teneb, Ghave)
    • RWU (America)
    • GUB (Vorosh, Mimeoplasm, bug)
  4. 4. Player type? Mark all that apply

• Spike (plays to win. Not afraid to use "cheap" strategies to do so)
    • Johnny (building decks is just as fun as playing them. Looks for weird combos and deck ideas, and plays mostly for fun. Tries to win in unique ways)
    • Timmy (the most casual player. Likes decks and cards because they're fun and/or cool to use, even if they're not very good.)
    • Vorthos (judges cards more by flavor, and how the card is when everything, from name to art to text, fits together)
    • Melvin (Judges cards more by mechanics, looking at how different effects piece together, on individual cards and between them)

Thing with Magic is, like most cardgames, it's nice have deckbuilders, but you basically need to know which cards are useful pooled together for a deck. I'm pretty much noob on the cards.

I do realize when building a deck you need to win with only one health remaining and not by powerplaying and damaging your enemy to - 250 HP in one turn.

It's easy to lose track on how to play this game. But I know some friends so I can get hints.

Actually, I think it's better to learn by first learning the rules and how cards are worded, so you can pretty much instantly tell what a card does by reading it, as well as different ways it can be used. Then, just go through your cards and find ones that you think would work well together. Play the deck, take out what doesn't help and add more of what does.

One piece of advice I've ways stood by when deckbuilding:

Figure out how your deck wins (your win condition, or wincon) damage, milling, a combo, whatever. Then go through the card and for each card, ask "does this card directly contribute to my win condition? If not, does it help me get out things that do?" if you answer no to both,then you probably don't need that card. Obviously it's more complicated then that, but if that's where you start, you can cut down a deck to it's bare essentials, and then add other things like removal, counter, discard, ramp, etc.

Also, stay away from combo decks until you know what you're doing :)

• Brohoof 1

There is a games store called Games Workshop. I wonder if I could get help there.

Also, I'm already on Gamefaqs. I always forget about the special interest boards (though the only reason I know about this board is because of the Cartoons and Animations board where I took part in some of the official MLP topics there.)

There is a games store called Games Workshop. I wonder if I could get help there.

Also, I'm already on Gamefaqs. I always forget about the special interest boards (though the only reason I know about this board is because of the Cartoons and Animations board where I took part in some of the official MLP topics there.)

Wait, really? What's your username? I'm the one who was posting a bunch of links to this site on the cartoons and animation board :)

Mine is l33t_ninj4_1337

Yes, I know it's stupid. I made it when I was 14 :(

I love magic, I don't really play any more even though my room is littered with cards. I even used to go to some small time tournaments at my local card shop. First color deck I played, and even to this day is my favorite, White. The last deck I made was a mono white weeny life gain deck. One before that was Green/Blue Plant tokens. I miss the game, if I had some people around me who still played I might pick it back up.

A friend of mine tried to get me into MTG some years back; he almost succeeded, but I was saved by my lack of interest in spending money on endless numbers of cards.

Dominion, on the other hand, is a card game I can get behind 100%... even if I am somewhat rubbish at it.

I'm probably going to get flamed on by 90% of this thread, but in my opinion...

YU-GI-OH IS BETTER! B)

Ooooh boy... Here we go...

Ok first of all, yugioh has no basic payment structure with which to play cards. You have life points, cards in hand, and monsters on the field, but those aren't particularly reliable, nor very flexible. A card slightly better than another can't have much of a difference in cost when the cost is tributing monsters. For example, a 2400 ATK monster for 1 tribute as opposed to a 2700 ATK monster for 1 tribute. The 2400 isn't that bad, but the 2700 is clearly better, so should it not cost more? Problem is, if you bumped it up to 2 tributes, it would suck, so either way, one of these cards is completely useless (assuming one doesn't have some beastly effect.)

Magic has the mana system. A better card costs more mana. It's an incremental cost, so making something cost 1 more mana doesn't make the jump from undercosted to overcosted.

Another thing that always bugged me about yugioh; the battle system. first off, being able to directly attack monsters is stupid, because monsters with beastly effects are often useless unless they also have beastly ATK or DEF. Good luck if you have a strategy involving monsters, all it takes is one dude with slightly higher ATK and you lose.

That's another thing I never liked, if you attack something that's also in attack mode, you use it's ATK for calculation, rendering DEF largely irrelevant. I mean, look at gene warped warwolf. A 4 star monster with 2000 ATK is freaking beastly. And it's "drawback"? It has 100 DEF. Well, who plays it in defense mode? Nobody. The only time it would ever be in defense mode is if the opponent had a bigger monster, in which case your wolf is dead anyway.

Also about combat, having to first attack opponents monsters is lame. All you need is a single monster with high ATK and you can't be touched until they deal with it.

Magic handles combat much better; you attack the player, and they can choose to block. Each creature can (in general) block one creature, so if you want to let a few through to hit you, you can, and thus let your weak creatures survive. If your opponent has a bunch of weak creatures and you only have one big one, you're still vulnerable since you can only block one, so the others will still hit you. Also, in magic, creatures are tapped when attack, and a tapped creature can't block; so if you attack with everything on your turn, then you'll have nothing to block with on their turn. You have to think before you just blindly swing with everything.

But the worst thing about yugioh? The design team doesn't seem to ever playtest the sets. They release completely useless cards that are literally, strictly worse than others, and they do this quite frequently. They release super broken cards and seemingly not realize it, and then the cards get banned. There is nothing like magic's color system, so any card can go in any deck, resulting in a ton of staple cards that have to be in every deck you make or else it will suck. Back when I took Yugioh seriously, if you didn't have magic jammer, seven tools of the bandit, mirror force, pot of greed, rageki, axe of despair, magician of faith and a few others in the deck, you might as well not even play. Then all of those cards got banned after a while, and the next most broken cards took their place.

Yugioh has some potential, but it is far from a quality game. That's my opinion on the whole thing :/

For the sake of discussion, any of you have a favorite combo?  :blink:

My favorite combo?

Posted Image

+

Posted Image

+

Posted Image

Just have the guildmage out, then cast lava spike and splice desperate ritual onto it. Then cast the ritual to get the mana to copy the spike with the ritual spliced onto it. As each copy resolves, it'll deal 3 damage to target player and give you RRR, which you use to make another copy. Infinite damage to any number of players by turn 3 if you're lucky :)

It's by no means the best combo out there, but it is certainly fun in casual games, and nobody expects it XD

• Brohoof 1

For the sake of a good argument, I'll give a counter-argument. Probably tomorrow though. =P

Please, make your own Yugioh vs mtg thread then

My favorite combo?

Posted Image

+

Posted Image

+

Posted Image

Just have the guildmage out, then cast lava spike and splice desperate ritual onto it. Then cast the ritual to get the mana to copy the spike with the ritual spliced onto it. As each copy resolves, it'll deal 3 damage to target player and give you RRR, which you use to make another copy. Infinite damage to any number of players by turn 3 if you're lucky :)

It's by no means the best combo out there, but it is certainly fun in casual games, and nobody expects it XD

That's... beautiful

Posted Image

But I'm not entirely sure the copy effect will also works on the spliced arcane effect. If it works, that's just wicked :P

Ooooh boy... Here we go...

Ok first of all, yugioh has no basic payment structure with which to play cards. You have life points, cards in hand, and monsters on the field, but those aren't particularly reliable, nor very flexible. A card slightly better than another can't have much of a difference in cost when the cost is tributing monsters. For example, a 2400 ATK monster for 1 tribute as opposed to a 2700 ATK monster for 1 tribute. The 2400 isn't that bad, but the 2700 is clearly better, so should it not cost more? Problem is, if you bumped it up to 2 tributes, it would suck, so either way, one of these cards is completely useless (assuming one doesn't have some beastly effect.)

Magic has the mana system. A better card costs more mana. It's an incremental cost, so making something cost 1 more mana doesn't make the jump from undercosted to overcosted.

Another thing that always bugged me about yugioh; the battle system. first off, being able to directly attack monsters is stupid, because monsters with beastly effects are often useless unless they also have beastly ATK or DEF. Good luck if you have a strategy involving monsters, all it takes is one dude with slightly higher ATK and you lose.

That's another thing I never liked, if you attack something that's also in attack mode, you use it's ATK for calculation, rendering DEF largely irrelevant. I mean, look at gene warped warwolf. A 4 star monster with 2000 ATK is freaking beastly. And it's "drawback"? It has 100 DEF. Well, who plays it in defense mode? Nobody. The only time it would ever be in defense mode is if the opponent had a bigger monster, in which case your wolf is dead anyway.

Also about combat, having to first attack opponents monsters is lame. All you need is a single monster with high ATK and you can't be touched until they deal with it.

Magic handles combat much better; you attack the player, and they can choose to block. Each creature can (in general) block one creature, so if you want to let a few through to hit you, you can, and thus let your weak creatures survive. If your opponent has a bunch of weak creatures and you only have one big one, you're still vulnerable since you can only block one, so the others will still hit you. Also, in magic, creatures are tapped when attack, and a tapped creature can't block; so if you attack with everything on your turn, then you'll have nothing to block with on their turn. You have to think before you just blindly swing with everything.

But the worst thing about yugioh? The design team doesn't seem to ever playtest the sets. They release completely useless cards that are literally, strictly worse than others, and they do this quite frequently. They release super broken cards and seemingly not realize it, and then the cards get banned. There is nothing like magic's color system, so any card can go in any deck, resulting in a ton of staple cards that have to be in every deck you make or else it will suck. Back when I took Yugioh seriously, if you didn't have magic jammer, seven tools of the bandit, mirror force, pot of greed, rageki, axe of despair, magician of faith and a few others in the deck, you might as well not even play. Then all of those cards got banned after a while, and the next most broken cards took their place.

Yugioh has some potential, but it is far from a quality game. That's my opinion on the whole thing :/

My favorite combo?

Posted Image

+

Posted Image

+

Posted Image

This entire post, including the cards (never actually seen a MtG card before) has suddenly seriously sparked my interest. The only card games I've ever played were Yugioh and Pokemon. (Digimon was too confusing for me when I was 9 when I also played these games lol)

All I gotta do is find a place that will help me understand the game and sell me the stuff needed to get it. I'm gonna check out the Games Workshop place I mentioned. I went in there once but since I didn't have a job I didn't do much and never went back.

But I'm not entirely sure the copy effect will also works on the spliced arcane effect. If it works, that's just wicked :P

It does. The text of the splice card is added to the text of whatever it is spliced to and remains there until it leaves the stack. Any copies of it will copy the spliced text as well.

For the sake of discussion, any of you have a favorite combo? :blink:

Mine is:

Posted Image + Posted Image

Simple, very cheap, and could easily turns the battle in a few turns.

I'm not a very up-to-date player :(

a nice one for an elf deck is Posted ImagePosted Image

and I have been trying to get this one to work

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by BeanOfTheSoy
  • Brohoof 1

and I have been trying to get this one to work

Posted ImagePosted Image

Another great one is hangeval lich + heartless summoning + perilous myr. Heartless reduces the myr's cost to 0, but since it's a 1/1, heartless also automatically kills it when it enters the battlefield. And perilous myr deals 2 damage to target creature or player when it dies, so you can just keep paying 1 mana for the lich, targeting the the perilous myr in your graveyard, cast it for free, it dies and deals 2, and then repeat as long as you have mana for it :)

Another fun one is grimgrin + rooftop storm + gravecrawler. Storm reduces the gravecrawlers cost to 0, so you just keep casting it for free from the graveyard, and then sacrificing it to make grimgrin bigger :)

Another great one is hangeval lich + heartless summoning + perilous myr. Heartless reduces the myr's cost to 0, but since it's a 1/1, heartless also automatically kills it when it enters the battlefield. And perilous myr deals 2 damage to target creature or player when it dies, so you can just keep paying 1 mana for the lich, targeting the the perilous myr in your graveyard, cast it for free, it dies and deals 2, and then repeat as long as you have mana for it :)

Another fun one is grimgrin + rooftop storm + gravecrawler. Storm reduces the gravecrawlers cost to 0, so you just keep casting it for free from the graveyard, and then sacrificing it to make grimgrin bigger :)

I like the grimgrin one thanks!

• 1 month later...

Nah i prefer childrens cardgames on MOTORCYCLES more xD, i just find mtg a little more simple and straightforward compared to the riiculous combos you can do on childrens cardgames xD, but its definitely a lot more balanced than yugioh xD

I've only recently started playing, but it's great! I recently picked up the 'Relentless Dead' Dark Assension intro deck (A deck that focuses on using creatures in your graveyard to create stronger ones. And zombies.) that i've mixed with my 'Grab for Power' core intro deck.

I usualy only use blue, white and black mana in my decks.

Havn't lost a game yet ;)